Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from a "local" gun store/pawn shop that they had these on sale. I use a lot of 9mm and .45acp in AE, but have never shot any .22lr in this brand.

Anyone have experience with it?

american eagle 22lr.jpg

75ceef15-d9fe-4c82-a004-88a4c8dae346.jpg

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I really like the 9mm 147gr and .45acp 230gr for practice as they both match what I carry in those calibers. I thought $2.22/50 was a decent price and I like to buy "local" when I can. I would post the store (very well known in North Alabama), but they don't do online sales on ammo... nor most of the guns they carry.

I've never had a problem with it. It and CCI Blazer are some of my favorite budget .22 ammo. I probably have at least 5 bricks of it.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
None of my guns really care for 'em. I've got a few. Oh, they function, just mediocre accuracy compared to other ammo. BUT, that varies from gun to gun and you need to test 'em in yours to find out.

Reactions: BackStop

·
Registered
164 Posts
I do okay with it, but at equal price I'd rather buy Blazers. The bullets always seem to look beat up on the AE, but they shoot OK. Careful if you buy the hollow points, cause they're only 40 round boxes.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Locally this is the best price I have seen on any .22lr.

I do okay with it, but at equal price I'd rather buy Blazers. The bullets always seem to look beat up on the AE, but they shoot OK. Careful if you buy the hollow points, cause they're only 40 round boxes.
P.S.

Thanks for noting the quantity difference! I did not notice that!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have a couple of bricks of it and it functions fine in my guns. I like the CCI Blazer best when it comes to the discount ammo as it is cleaner burning.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Looks like Blazer (also made by Federal) is the preferred brand. The only reason I was looking at the AE is price.

I have a couple of bricks of it and it functions fine in m guns. I like the CCI Blazer best when it comes to the discount ammo as it is cleaner burning.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Thanks!

Looks like Blazer (also made by Federal) is the preferred brand. The only reason I was looking at the AE is price.
The Blazer I'm talking about is the 40gr round nose ammo from CCI.

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
The AEs are middle of the road plinking ammo at best. If your guns like it, then it's worth the price. If they don't you're really not wasting a lot of money to try it. Our rifles and the heritage seem to like it ok, my Son's GSG 1911-22 can't stand it and it causes every problem there is regarding ammo.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
they function in the rifles but most of my semi auto handguns will not function with them I use the ones I have in the revolvers and in the rifles and I will be glad when they are gone

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks!

All I have functioning right now in .22lr is my S&W 422 6 inch, but it has eaten everything I have ever fed it and is one of only two handguns in which I have never had a failure of any kind. EVER! The other one is the Beretta 950 .25acp.

Edit:

*The 422 has had ammo that didn't fire, but that was because of ammo, not the gun.

they function in the rifles but most of my semi auto handguns will not function with them I use the ones I have in the revolvers and in the rifles and I will be glad when they are gone

·
Registered
829 Posts
What gun will you be shooting them in? The price of the 40gr is a good value. Try them in what ever your are shooting if they don't work in your gun then you will just have to
get a .22lr revolver to properly resolve the issue.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks!

I have a Marlin Glenfield (1976) rifle that needs work, so the only thing I have to shoot .22lr right now is the S&W 422 6inch. It has eaten everything I have ever fed it and as I posted recently here, it is one of only 2 pistols that has never ever had one failure. The other is a Beretta 950, .25acp.

*The 422 has had ammo that didn't fire, but that was because of ammo, not the gun.

What gun will you be shooting them in? The price of the 40gr is a good value. Try them in what ever your are shooting if they don't work in your gun then you will just have to
get a .22lr revolver to properly resolve the issue.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
My Browning Buckmark and Ruger SR22 eat them with no problem.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I've had good results with Federal anythings. The only brand I won't touch is Remington bulk, or as I call them Remington duds.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts