Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from range.tried out new box of federal 230 gr fmj.Noticed rounds seem to keyhole at 7 yrds:eek:.Also fired a box of pdx1 hp.No problems.Has anyone else noticed a problem with federal ammo?PT145 performed above my expectations.Just love that little pitbull of a pistol;).

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Never noticed it keyholing myself, but i don't really inspect the shape of the holes at the range. I'll have to take a peek next time out, provided Walmart still has some Federal laying around.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
I've always been able to trace key holing to reloads or extremely fouled barrels, but never factory ammo in a clean pistola.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've not noticed it with any Federal ammo that I've shot.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Never noticed it myself and I was just out last weekend. May give them a ring and let them know. It may be a bad batch of ammo

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I've fired tons of this ammo, never had that problem before.

·
Banned
893 Posts
I've always been able to trace key holing to reloads or extremely fouled barrels, but never factory ammo in a clean pistola.
ditto, nothing wrong with the ammo, the slug is tumbling, you need to clean the rifling in the barrel with a copper wire barrel brush. Have you shot any lead bullets like wad cutters?

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I'll let you know how it does later today. I got 200 rounds of it to burn through my 1911 and 945.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is federal champion from walmrt.As i stated earlier i had no problems firing the winchester wb after the federal.Sent E-mail off to federal.Awaiting reply.The bore is mirror clean.never fired lead bullits through pistol.I will post federals response when I get it.Thanks for all the help.Thats what makes this such a great place to ask questions.Tons of knowlage and advise.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Never had a problem with Federal. I have hydrashocks and or LE rounds in several weapon systems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having a PT145 myself I've only shot the Federal Premium 230 gr rounds through it and haven't noticed any keyholing. Maybe a bad batch or something??

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Have shot 230 gr FMJ Federal, Remington, Winchester, Fiochi and Israeli TMZ mil surp ammo through my PT145 with 100% reliability and zero problems.

No "key holing", nada, zilch.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a call from Trever at Federal ammo today.Seems like they are on top of customer concerns.Very polite,asked alot of questions about my pistol.Wants me to send back the remaining rounds for testing.Was told would be reembersed for shipping and also for replacement of box of ammo.Will send off this week and let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
We shoot a LOT of the WALLY WORLD FEDERAL... I can honestly say that every once in a while might see a round or 2 that seems to keyhole. Usually if we push the targets out. We usually do a lot of 3-5 yards...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well sent box of ammo off to federal.I perchased another box just to check.Had no problems with new box.Waiting for reply from
federal about what they found.Did notice the box I sent back seemed to have longer overall length rounds the the new box.May have been problem?Will post when results come back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts