Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, I bought a box of 100 today at Wally World.
I got to wondering what the powder load is, so I took an empty case and a primer, weighed them, added 115 for the bullet and then weighed a factory cartridge.
Subtracted and the result is 5gr. of powder, what brand is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
???OK, but why didn't you just knock the projectile out and weigh the powder??
not that it relates to anything (as you mention) as the most important starting point would be "what type of powder is it?
I don't understand the reasoning for this unless you are trying to replicate a factory load???
IF so go to the manufactures web site and find out what they list the ballistics as, then simply find a powder that will closely replicate that performance.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No bullet puller.
Easiest way to do it without damage to the round.
I was curious because I'm loading 6gr of HS-6.
Now that I know how much the factory loads I can find a powder that recommends 5gr. for the 115 bullet.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
No bullet puller.
Easiest way to do it without damage to the round.
I was curious because I'm loading 6gr of HS-6.
Now that I know how much the factory loads I can find a powder that recommends 5gr. for the 115 bullet.
Gottcha!!
now let me be the fly in the ointment!-LOL
shell cases and projectiles almost always vary by tenths of a grain or more in weight, even from the same lot/box.
while this doesn't mean a lot in the weight of a projectile or case , a few tenths of a difference in powder weight can.
thats why i kind of suggested weighing the powder.
As you weighed a different case and a different projectile likely the weights would be different.
If it were me I woud go to the manufactures site, find out what they are lsiting the particular bullet at as to weight/speed and what type of appliance it was shot out of.
then find a powder that replicates that , regardless of the weight charge.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Not to digress but you reload and you don’t have a bullet puller? Set you back $15 to $20. I’ve used mine more often than I can remember.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 5 that didn't go bang are in a safe place until I get one.
One of these days when I get to Bass again.
Along with a few other item like a hand primer and case holder, primer hole brush, and whatever else catches my eye that I think would nice to have.
Weather been too nice to waste running around, better to go out back and shoot!

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Not to digress but you reload and you don’t have a bullet puller? Set you back $15 to $20. I’ve used mine more often than I can remember.
Well actually I just bought one for the looks, it looks pretty good hanging on the side of my reloading outfit.
I haven't used it as i never make a mistake--giggle.
actually that reminds me i need to dust it off tommorow!

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
One of these days when I get to Bass again.
Along with a few other item like a hand primer and case holder, primer hole brush, and whatever else catches my eye that I think would nice to have.
!
caliper,case length gauges, additional manuals,case lube, neck trimmer,lube pad,loading blocks!
its amazing how much money that you can save by reloading!-LOL

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yup I know what kind of powder it is.I cant tell ya though. Also between our different powder lots our charges can differ a full grain from what they were the last time we ran the same product.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
caliper,case length gauges, additional manuals,case lube, neck trimmer,lube pad,loading blocks!
its amazing how much money that you can save by reloading!-LOL
But you only have to buy some of the stuff one time!
Speaking of a loading block, make your own.

I used the plastic cartridge holder from a 50 pack of Federal 9mm, put it in a small plastic box just a bit larger, put a weight on it and filled it half full of melted wax from a candle.

SN850201.JPG

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup I know what kind of powder it is.I cant tell ya though. Also between our different powder lots our charges can differ a full grain from what they were the last time we ran the same product.
Given enough time I could make an educated guess, but not tonight.
And I'm sure different lots may have different powder depending on what is available at the time.
Based on the powder weight and published velocity I could probably figure it out.

While I'm thinking of it, I was at Bass today and they had the Sierra rifle and pistol load data book.
I checked the 9mm Luger page for 124gr. JHP and for HS-6 the 6gr I'm using is right in the middle of low to max.
But I'll be darned if I'm going to pay $38 for a book I only need 1 or 2 pages from.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The powders we mainly use isnt available to reloaders, you can however find suitable substitutes.Good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is reloading your own ammunition really cost effective? or do you just do it so you can say you reload your own ammo/ or the fun of it?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I'm reloading now actually is cheaper than factory loads.
This batch not quite as cheap as the last 2.
Hornady 124gr XTP JHP cost me $15/100 at Palmetto State Armory, at Bass they are $19.
4.3 cents a primer, 3 cents of powder, and 100 cost $22.30. ($26.30 this batch)
That's about the average price for the same factory ammo in a box of 25. It varies from $15 to $25 for 25.
Custom Ammo 9mm Luger 124 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 25
9mm Defense Ammo For Sale - 124 gr JHP XTP Hornady Ammunition In Stock - 25 Rounds
9MM LUGER 124GR XTP JACKETED  HOLLOW POINT | MidsouthShootersSupply.com
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
Hornady 9mm TAP FPD 124 gr XTP JHP ammo (25 rds)

Well, you get the idea.
My cost is $5.57 to $6.30 for 25.

Now 115gr. FMJ, not so cost effective, the last 100 I did cost $23, more than Federal, less than Remington factory ammo.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Large ammo makers such as Federal, Winchester, Remington et. al. use bulk canister gun powders that aren't always available to the public.

Their only concern is safe pressures, accuracy and low cost.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you are loading your own HP ammo I take it you better really trust yourself so that you wont get any FTF's when you really need to use it?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
But you only have to buy some of the stuff one time!
Speaking of a loading block, make your own.

I used the plastic cartridge holder from a 50 pack of Federal 9mm, put it in a small plastic box just a bit larger, put a weight on it and filled it half full of melted wax from a candle.

View attachment 19205

That's what I use. They work great. Also I pick up all the boxes and bullet holders I can find at the range.
But why the wax?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Well actually I just bought one for the looks, it looks pretty good hanging on the side of my reloading outfit.
I haven't used it as i never make a mistake--giggle.
actually that reminds me i need to dust it off tommorow!

I just got one. A pretty little blue one with a silver shank.
Had a bunch to unload because I'm a noobie and set the boolits too far in to the case.
Got a caliper now too. 8)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I use. They work great. Also I pick up all the boxes and bullet holders I can find at the range.
But why the wax?
To reduce the depth so the case sticks out, otherwise it fits flush when empty.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are loading your own HP ammo I take it you better really trust yourself so that you wont get any FTF's when you really need to use it?
Actually this is my plinking ammo.
It shoots better than the 115 FMJ.
I have a box of factory stuff for SD.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts