Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a Browning Buck Mark SS Camper .22LR pistol for target practice and my first range trip was 99% problem free.
My first trip to the range I used Remington .22LR rounds and there was only a few in the bulk package that would not chamber properly, about four or so.
This last trip I still had about 100 of the remington but I thought I would try federal, what a bad choice!
There was out of 350 rounds, about a dozen fail to eject or fail to chamber rounds. The remaining 100 remington rounds loaded w/o issues.

Has anyone else noticed a drop in reliability using Federal than when using Winchester or Remington?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Federal markets several inexpensive .22 LR rounds.

I have had very good results from the one that carries product # 510.

That is the same round as the old Lightning rounds in the red box.

Worst results from Remington Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I shoot nothing but Federal Bulk Pack and Auto Match. I have a couple of semi autos that prefer the Auto Match. I don't believe I have had a Federal ftf. Most of the discarded rounds at the range are Remington (and most do have a strike mark on the rim.)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It all depends on the pistol. You have to find the brand your gun likes and stick with it. Duds are common in .22's only because of the shere volume of .22 ammo that is produced every year.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
watch buyin the wally world fed's i bought a couple bricks of them , man they were terrible , i was told when they contract ammo deals with wally world that fed and all manufactors make them as cheap as possible since they bid them in cheap??? i had out of 500 28 bloopers ??out of the last brick of american eagle

·
Registered
384 Posts
My 970 will spit out any 22LR I put in the wheel, Federal bulk ammo included. My Walther P22 on the other hand averages about 1 in 20 FTF using the Fed's. Auto's are inheritantly more picky about ammo and as Ace mentioned, you must find out which ones work best for the individual gun. The Walther likes CCI mini mags and anything Winchester. That doesn't mean that the Fed's are junk, it just means that my Walther prefers a different diet.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
All .22s are different. Some like said ammo, some don't. You just have to find out what YOURs likes. Me, I shoot a lot of Federal bulk pack in my Ruger Mk2. It chews 'em up. I have noticed in some guns, and the Ruger is one, I'll get a misfire once in a while, but at the price, so what? They're just not as well primed, a common problem, as the higher priced CCI and such stuff. They work for practice and I might get 3 misfires out of a 550 round pack, no biggy.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i've noticed a lot of .22lr's had a higher number of duds then center fires..

i use federal bulk packs but i sometimes shoot others just what ever i can get my hands on.

feeding and ejection not a real big problem with the federal bulk packs but i too have a lot of misfires, i dont keep track.. some times i'll strike it 3 or 4 times in different places it they still dont go off..

but then again it's not just federal.. i see a lot of .22lr's discarded at the range.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
It's a rimfire thing and it's one reason I'd not carry a rimfire for defense, other than the tiny bullet and lack of energy. With a revolver, you can pull the trigger again, but an auto, it's tap/rack/bang. I have one .22 auto pistol, a Ramline Exactor, that will NOT shoot federals. I have about a 50 percent dud rate with 'em and it caps CCI just fine. It has a narrow firing pin. My Ruger Mk2 caps 'em with regularity, but I get a couple of duds in a 550 pack. My Rossi revolver has no problem with 'em, has a BIG round firing pin tha covers a lot of rim and makes a big dent. Just depends on the gun. I find CCI the most consistent in all my .22s, but it's getting really expensive. Last 100 pack of mini mag set me back 6 bucks! :eek: That's okay for hunting, but for shooting cans, I'll clear a misfire once in a while. LOL!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Different guns like different ammo, esp .22's;

I couldn't get thru a magazine without getting a couple FTE's with my Norinco .22 when I was shooting Win Dinapoints. (+ lot of duds). Since I switched to Fed. Champion (525pack) I don't think I has a SINGLE jam! and no duds either...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts