Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what rounds you guys and gals favor in your carry weapons (or the guns you keep loaded in the house).

·
Registered
579 Posts
NYPD, Great question! What do you recommend. With the price of ammo going up it would be great to get some good advice on self defence loads.
I find myself shopping price instead of stopping power. Some advice on all popular calibers would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
I honestly just tend to carry and load up with any of the major brands that happen to be available at the time or happen to be a decent price at where ever I am picking up the ammo at the time. Right now I happen to have several guns in multiple calibers loaded with Winchester Super X, Speer and Hornady. In the 608 I believe there are some Blazer HP's.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just like the Speer Gold dots, all I've read and seen they have great expansion and retain over 90% bulet weight, even in reduced loads as in LE carries. Factory loads are very accurate both in .38 and .40 S&W.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speer Gold Dots are an excellent choice since they utilize the Uni-Cor process which prevents jacket=core separations. I'd recommend any type of ammo that is bonded such as the Gold Dots, Federal Tactical Bonded, or Winchester Ranger T-Series. These 3 make up the majority of ammo that LE agencies issue to their officers. You can't go wrong when choosing police ammunition. Here's a link I posted a while ago with great defense loads at more than reasonable prices:

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=p1q7rn3r68bncg71aue3jb06b6

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I keep Hydra Shok 165 grain loaded in my 45. The idea behind the light bullet is it will hit the target, penetrate and stop, not overpenetrating, and not passing through the target.

I'm sure some will disagree with that, but until I am proved otherwise, I will continue. It's also a 'low recoil' load, whch makes it more managable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
IMHO all the major players have bullet technology that works very well that said here is a short list of what I use
seecamp-fiocchi 60grn SJHP
tauri 905-winchester 147 ranger-t
HK p7 and wifes p226- doubletap 124+p golddots
S&W340M&P,wifes 3" S&W m60 and S&W 65-2 -remmi 125 golden sabers
tauri 605- WW 145 Silvertips
taurus pt38s- WW 125 silvertips
4" S&W 610 and 5" delta-reloads 180XTP @1280fps
6.5" S&W 610 and 6"delta comp get reloads 135 nosler @1600fps (I've never carried them,but if I did :evil:)
tauri 431- speer 200 golddots
AMT backup- remmi 185 golden sabers
Charles Daly 4" and SA 1911a1 GI- federal 230+p HST
ruger 4" birds head vaquero-250 speer golddots(If I carry it my American Derringer is backup with remmi 125 golden sabers)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
hydra shoks are good but my drawer gun is a 4" 44 mag with pmc 240 gr jsp. I know the angles where I'm shooting from so overpenetration is not a concern. May ruin a good TV though.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Here's what I run/used to run in my carry/defensive guns:

9mm: Corbon 115gr +P (with an alternate load of WWB 115gr JHP if I 'm out of CB, its cheap and available locally)
38 Special: Remington 158gr +P LHP aka LSWCHP
357 Magnum (medium frame gun): Federal 125gr JHP
357 Magnum (small frame gun): Win. 110gr JHP (haven't picked a preferred load yet, this is just what I stuck in there for now)
9mm Makarov: Hornady 95gr XTP (I'd also be comfortable with Corbon Powerball)
45 Auto: 230gr Hydra-shok (don't have a 45 anymore but still have some ammo around, alternate load was WWB 230gr JHP)
12ga: Reduced Recoil/Tactical OO Buck or Slug (basically low or reduced recoil load as they are easier to shoot and should have a similar effect on the target)
223/5.56: XM193 (the military's 55gr FMJ load, yes there are probably better loads out there but I can afford this in bulk)
22LR: Stingers or Velociraptors (not that I carry a 22 but if one ever gets pulled for defensive duty)
44 Special: 200gr Gold Dot, but would be comfortable with anything from Corbon as well (don't have a 44 around currently but once again, there's still ammo here)

Most of these are not set in stone. For example, I've debated switching my 9mm load to a 124gr +P Gold Dot but haven't had a range session to do the testing. I pick and have tested alternate loads for some calibers as I end up ordering most of my carry ammo. Having an alternate carry load that I know will feed is comforting.

I am picky when it comes to what I chose to load in my defensive guns but I'm also price conscious. For example, I might end up running DPX in my small frame 357 but I feel the price is out of my acceptable range for an autoloader and I'd rather use full power ammo in my medium frame.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hydra Shok in the 9mm Beretta, Winchester Ranger T in the 1911, WWB in the 6.35mm and Federal LE in the .40

·
Registered
296 Posts
For my PT-145 I'm trying out both the Speer's gold dot and some Winchester rangers. Not sure which of the Rangers they are. Website I bought them off of said they were the 'for LEO's only'. Both are 230gr.

The PT-111 has Speer's gold dot at 147gr.

Range ammo is mostly Remmington UMC. Same weight as the hollowpoint. Cheapest place around here is Dick's Sporting Goods. Almost always have them on sale by the case. They just don't stock much .45acp. I Buy up what they have when it comes in. ;D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm interested in trying out the "Frangible bullets" they make sense for close "combat", they prevent chance of ricochets (sp) that could do more damage than intended. Anyone try or use them?

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Listed in order of Preference. Federal EFMJ Loadings listed are favored for Winter Use here, where enhanced penetration of heavy Winter clothing may be desired. I tend to favor a 9mm loaded for defense, the most. The .45 ACP is a close second favorite.

.380 Auto
90 grn Winchester Silvertip
102 grn Remington Gold Sabre HP

9mm Luger
124 grn Remington Gold Sabre HP
124 grn CCI Gold Dot HP
124 grn Federal EFMJ

.38 Special
Any 158 grn LSWC-HP

.357 Magnum
125 grn Federal Hydrashok HP
145 grn Winchester Silvertip

.45 Auto
185 grn Remington Gold Sabre HP
200 grn CCI Gold Dot HP
200 grn Federal EFMJ

·
Registered
846 Posts
I guess I wouldn't want to be shot by any of the above, allot of good factory ammo out there these days. :'(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Federal EFMJ Loadings listed are favored for Winter Use here, where enhanced penetration of heavy Winter clothing may be desired.
from what tests I've seen they don't penatrate that well.If you want more penatration move to heavier construted bullets or just heavier bullets.
Any of you out there can afford glaser safety slugs?
why they don't penatrate consistantly and lack of penatration will get you killed.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The advantage to EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) and Powerball is that the cavity at the front of the bullet can't clog with clothing (or whatever). On many designs once that cavity is clogged it will fail to expand. This is less of an issue than it used to be but it still may happen. And yes, they don't always have as good of expansion as regular HP's but anything is better than FMJ. But they do tend to have better feed reliability than HP's. Remember that there are some guns (not many anymore) that just don't want to feed any design of HP and these loads give them something more effective than FMJ. As an aside, Detroit PD is issuing EFMJ as standard ammo, then again, they used to issue FMJ. :bang:

Glasers and Magsafes are designed to limit penetration but to cause massive wounds. One would be limited to a fairly clear frontal torso shot for them to be effective but for some they work. If one is willing to work with that limitation and it able to afford the high prices, then try it. They also seem to have feed issues in many autos due to a different recoil impulse compared to normal ammo.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I was wondering about that I mean they charge so much for just six of those little buggers, is it really worth it? I am thinking they must be the biggest scam on the planet.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I think Glasers and/or Magsafes are hand assembled. Each little shot pellet is placed with a tweezers then the epoxy is added. Recently one of them may have managed to automate some of the process but I could be wrong. I don't follow the exotic ammo field.

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 33 Posts