·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite method of CC? I should be getting my license in soon. ;D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I prefer IWB (Inside the WaistBand) holsters for the easier concealability. By second choice is pocket carry for the ability to have a gun in your hand before anything starts with no one else the wiser.

Steelheart

·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm going to look into a good IWB holster for when I get my CCW in the mail. I looked at some High Noon holsters a while back and thought they were pretty nice. I sw one made of 'glove leather' that was well priced. I think I might try that one out to see if I like it before persuing with a more expensive holster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer a crossdraw method. I use a nylon holster and when in a car, my seat belt goes under the holster. Also, it's a little more comfortable in a car than on strongside...and the lousy belt buckle (R-handed).

·
32,619 Posts
There is kydex for those who can tolerate it. Have kydex,nylon and leather holsters. Bianchi,Don Hume, and Galco all seem to have the lowest priced ones besides High Noon. Fobus works well with the Rugers and Makarovs. Haven't seen a kydex that will hold a PT111 Mil/pro though. May have to try one for PT145s. Same frame anyway. Went to a police equipment shop here in this area. They were more knowledgable than the local firearms dealers were and could get them cheaper. They were willing to deal with a layman as a customer.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Depends on what I'm carrying. I'll carry my tiny Kel Tec P3AT in a pocket holster, or sometimes an IWB. The P11 Kel Tec 9mm has the belt clip, so thats a waist band carry as well. I sometimes carry the Taurus PT22 as a back up in a left hand IWB holster in the small of back. Looking at getting a shoulder rig for the Taurus 650 snubby when only a revolver will do.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In the last two years I have converted all my "concealed carry" holsters to IWB for comfort and concealment. I never thought IWB would be possible until I got my first "custom" IWB. I have sold all my, non custom IWB holsters.

Non-concealed carry is usually OWB. I always carry afield OWB, my revolvers.

tex

·
Registered
18 Posts
I generally prefer IWB. I mostly wear pants or shorts and a t-thirt year round (no snow in my part of Arizona) and this is the most practical.
I absolutely hate SOB and shoulder rigs!! I never wear a coat for any length of time anyway. My secondary prefered method is strong side belt carry. I generally have both belt and IWB holsters for all the guns I carry. I sometimes pocket carry, but I don't like to do that because I carry to much stuff in my pockets!!  ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
P11 with the belt clip 5 o clock, or P32 in a KD wallet rear pocket carry when space is at a premium. I have a PT145 on the way with a Don Hume 721 open top ordered for it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree. Depends on what I'm carrying. For the Springfield 1911, a DeSantis New York Special shoulder rig. For the 24/7 Pro either belt holster (Sidekick) or Shoulder rig by some folks out of Buena Vista, CO (This also handles the S&W 9mm and 1911). For the model 85, IWB or SOB.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I carry my 2 1/4" DAO (spurless) .357 Ruger SP101 IWB crossdraw or in my front jeans pocket with no holster depending on where I'm going.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If I'm running out for a short time I just use a cheapo Uncle Mikes IWB. But if I'm out all day I use a high ride OWB under a loose shirt with a retention device. It's just more comfortable. I would consider pocket carry if I had a light enough gun, like a 642 or KT P32. When it comes to carry, the lighter the better. For normal citizens which should avoid armed confrontation, carry guns will get carried more than shot. That doesn't mean you shouldn't practice though.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
I prefer pocket carry with my P11 or my M85UL, but if I carry a bigger gun like my P90 or my M66 3", IWB is the only way. Pocket carry offers better concealment and the ability to grasp the gun when I'm walking through a dark parking lot or somewhere where I'm "condition orange". I can draw and fire quicker this way than from IWB. The advantage to IWB is bigger caliber, but 9mm +P or even .38+P I consider adequate.

I work on small engines in my shop for spending money. I am often dealing with customers or rolling around under a lawn tractor or something. IWB is just no convenient when I'm working, so I'll always be pocket carrying when I'm working. About the only time I go IWB is when I'm going shopping in the big city or something and even then I will have back up in a pocket.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Like many, I've got several holsters which really don't conceal very well.

I bought my PT145 for concealed carry, but I started to dispair and began thinking of the Kel-Tec P3AT.

I finally tried the High Noon "tuckable" Hidden Ally. I mostly wear business casual, which means a tucked in shirt and not often with a coat. A good tuckable holster saved me $250 for a new gun.

The PT145 disappeares with a shirt that is bloused at the waist. I've worn the holster without my wife noticing and even in a large group with an open coat... not bad when the preacher is carrying and nobody notices.

I've worn the holster both strong side and cross draw and both work well.

The only addition I would add would be a higher body shield. A cold gun is a bit uncomfortable until it warms up.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
My tuckable is a Mitch Rosen Workman. It works well with a tucked shirt, too. I got it for my P11 and highly recommend it as a tuckable. Beautiful workmanship and comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I always say, 'whatever works for the individual, is the way they should go."
Or, "whatever floats your boat!" This is what works for me: I carry a
Taurus PT940SSPRL in a custom Ted Blocker lefthanded crossdraw
holster (model 24XD) in black.

I also carry a little Glock27 in a custom BrigadeLeather
crossdraw holster, (model M13) also lefthanded in black.
They are both comfortable in the vehicle, worn on my weak
(right) side. I also have shoulder rigs for some of my other pistols,
which are worn very rarely.

Right now, I am waiting for another custom Ted Blocker crossdraw
holster, that I ordered for my Charles Daly 1911 A1, with
a 3 1/2 inch barrel. That one will also be lefthanded, in black.
Since I am a southpaw, naturally all my holsters are in lefthanded
configuration.

I see that a lot of folks favor the IWB configuration; I have never tried
that method as yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With all three of my PRO milleniums (111,138,145) I use a Fobus paddle - the correct model number for the PRO models is SP11B - all fit well, just need to adjust the retaining screw a little.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm learning alot from this thread thank's. I just passed my CHL class and cannot decide which holster setup I should use for the PT 24/7 I'm buying? I realize it's not the perfect C&C firearm concerning size but it fit's my hand like a glove. I'll eventually get a .32cal for another C&C which I think would fit and be very comfortable with a IWB holster.

My concern is since I'm in Houston and I wear just t-shirt's or loose fitting shirt's most of the time keeping the gun totally inconspicuous is a huge concern?\

Gregg

·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm in almost the same boat as you. I should be getting my license in the mail anyday now. The webstie says I've passed, so it should literally be any day. I think I am going to try one of the High Noon holsters for the first one. I plan on going IWB with a PT145.

·
Registered
878 Posts
One thing I noticed about the MilPro is that when you put it Iwb with a full mag it's top-heavy. Make sure the holster fits snug or has a retention device. Crossbreed makes a real nice double clip holster that addresses both these issues..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts