Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a new optic and was wondering if anyone owns either the Burris Fastfire 3 or Vortex Viper. I already have a couple RMRs but I can't really afford to outfit every gun I have with one. Looking at something less expensive but decent quality. I've seen the Fastfires as low as 184.00 and the Vipers as low as 179.99. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Either one should be a decent purchase but if size is a consideration (and I'm not mistaken) the Viper has a smaller footprint then the FF3.
Other then that, I believe the Viper only comes in a 6moa dot and the FF3 is either a 3 or 8...

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Rifle or pistol? I went with a Vortex Venom on my G2 with a 6 MOA dot for faster acquisition. For a rifle you might want 3 MOA.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a sight mark reflex sight on my msr, along with a sight mark 4x magnifier that can also be pushed to one side. They work great so far and I think I only have a couple hundred invested in both of them.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I have the Venom mounted on a Rossi R92 levergun in .44Mag. It works well, comes on when you pick it up.

·
Premium Member
13,042 Posts
I have the Venom in 3moa on my Raging Hunter in .44 mag. and it's working out much better than I had expected.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I have to Fastfires. One is an older one and the other is a Fast fire 3. I like them both and don't think that you would go wrong with fast fire. There is a another one that I have started using that might be worth you looking into. It is called a JP sight and it is an amazing piece of technology. All internal parts of the sight are set in a solid block Of synthetic material so it can handle unlimited shock and recoil. It is amazingly light weight only weighing 1/2 of an ounce including the battery. I use them particularly on 22 semi auto pistols where weight on the slide must be kept to a minimum. I also use one on a Glock custom model 22, 40-.357 Sig-9mm- .22LR conversion set.

Good luck with whichever one you choose.

Don

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I 'm leaning towards the Venom. I like the top battery compartment. On my RMR it's not really an issue because the battery life is outstanding but I'm thinking I'll be replacing the battery in the Venom more often.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Probably not. I have had both my RMR and Venom for several years now and have not had to change the battery out on either one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Im looking for a new optic and was wondering if anyone owns either the Burris Fastfire 3 or Vortex Viper. I already have a couple RMRs but I can't really afford to outfit every gun I have with one. Looking at something less expensive but decent quality. I've seen the Fastfires as low as 184.00 and the Vipers as low as 179.99. Any thoughts?
I have a Burris Fastfire 3 (3 MOA dot) on my AR. It works great out to about 200 yards. After that the dot get kinda big on the target but it's still usable.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, you make 2,000 yard shots with a red dot?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have three of the small reflex red dot sights, a Vortex Venom on my Canik TP9 SFX, a Nikon Spur on my S & W Victory and a Firefield mini reflex on one of my ar15s. They all seem equal to me other than the Firefield does not shut off after so long and the battery will run out if not turned off. The Firefield cost $50, the other two around $200.
Also the Viper has to be taken off to change the battery (it is accessed from the bottom) the Venom does not have to be removed to change the battery and they both are the same price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts