Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to go to the range alone or with a good friend. Then I had children and started them shooting at the ripe age of 5 years old. I would take them out to the police range and let them shoot till we got tired or ran out of ammo. If at any time they wanted to see a gun I had in the safe all they had to do is ask and I would get it out and let them handle it. I never had a problem with them messing with a firearm with out asking and then them checking to see if it was clear first. I know this because I have come in and laid my unloaded duty pistol on the table and they would come to me or their mother and tell us to put it up. My son has is 24 now and has his CCW and my daughter is 17 and still goes to the range but not as often because of the price and scarceness of ammo. I think more families need to do this and there would be less accidents with children and more knowledge in the adult years.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,023 Posts
I am a big believer in training your kids on firearms safety. I grew up in a... well armed house and never once had an issue. My daughter has been shooting for a couple of years she is 9 now in a few weeks she never even touches her pink rifle without me and after we shoot she field strips and cleans her own rifle.

As a matter of fact I am taking her trap shooting (she's just going to watch) in the morning.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Start em young and start em right.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Always good to teach them the right way from the begining.. It is a lot easyer then braking bad habits. Was the mrs. mad at the tv???;)

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Totally agree! I was taught at a young age how to handle a firearm.. I'm now 47, and my folks and I go shoot some paper quite frequently!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
That's the best way to ingrain good habits - start 'em young, and explain everything to them to take the mystery out of it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always good to teach them the right way from the begining.. It is a lot easyer then braking bad habits. Was the mrs. mad at the tv???;)
No not mad at the TV just shooting the bad guys.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Herb Parsons exhibition shooter said "teach your children to hunt and you won't have to hunt your children" My 20 and my 9 yearolds loves to shoot the 12 yearold no way Randy

·
Registered
215 Posts
I absolutely agree with you. While i have not had my children out shooting yet, anytime they want to see a firearm in our house, it gets pulled out and shown how to make initial safety check of firearm and when they get the gun in their hands, they perform the check themselves. They ask questions and i answer them, and i know that they have the right frame of mind to actually use the firearms. I think that showing the guns to the kids anytime they ask, and answering their questions will keep them straight about guns and if they were to ever find a gun in someone else's home they will be mature about it and know how to handle the situation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree and do the same. Although my son is 10 I take him to the range any chance I get. Sometimes I will even rent a gun like a 22 target pistol to build his confidence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts