Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PC was infected with this app. 1 hour ago while on this site, I was not running any other programs at the time, I'm in the process of trying to delete it having finally gained internet access again, just a heads up to Mods & Administrators.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Nothing on my end...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing on my end...
Glad to hear it, I hope it was a freak thing with my PC. I'm too tired to go through all the steps to remove it, as long as I keep the puter on and not reboot I'm good. The bad part is it disabled my anti virus programs.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Clean here too. Many of these viruses either come through email or links in webpages/redirects. They usually have a screen that looks a lot like windows and when you click on anything it installs the virus.

I just spent almost 50 hours last week manually removing a couple viruses that could not be removed by any software programs.

Edited to add: The PC I worked on was not mine, was still on XP Pro/SP2 with no antivirus or anti-malware programs. I had no reinstall discs so I could not wipe the hard drive and reinstall. The owner spent 12 hours over 2 days on the phone with tech support and got no where.

I had the users files clean and backed up in about 3 hours. The virus had tried working its way through the owners home network and was collecting data from other PC's.

Firefox with noscript and add block plus work very nicely at streamlining websites.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Jobarr:

The same one plagued my laptop for about 48 hours, but now, mysteriously, seems to have left the premises.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
My PC was infected with this app. 1 hour ago while on this site, I was not running any other programs at the time, I'm in the process of trying to delete it having finally gained internet access again, just a heads up to Mods & Administrators.
Those are some of the most insideous hijacking links around. 99.99 times its always an external link you clicked from a post that someone else fell victim too or a link deliberately sent by a spammer. I have been hit by that link before when it was Windows 2000, Windows XP and Vista Home Security.

What I do nowadays since Windows XP is always have two partitions on your main drive where I save all of my documents and pics and most importantly a copy of Malwarebytes AND I rename the Malwarebytes program to a different name such as sockem.exe. I know that on your C drive that hijack program disables any and all anti-virus and malware programs rendering you defenceless and in a constant loop..

I generally unplug the internet and go into safemode with networking and browse to the second partition and run "sockem.exe". It won't updaye but it will install and delete whatever the flavor the month hijack is. A important note here too. I do download a fresh and updates copy of malwarebytes every month or two and replace and rename it in the second partition.

The other thing I do is use Firefox with the the flowing plugins: NoScript and Ghostery. A lot of people don't like using NoScript because it makes you stop and think if you want to "allow" a new link. NoCript also allows you to run web browsing without all the background crap of getsmartlinks, googleslinks, flash, adserve, tracking cookings etc.

Even on this site, if there's rotating ad banners, you won't see them. Your browser runs lean and mean like it was supposed too. My Yahoo email has no flash ads running on the right side and on the top banner. Ghostery also keeps you from being tracked from one site to another with the same ad over and over.

And rather than spending 50 hours on fixing my registry I also run Acronis Time Server and Acronis True Image that backs up my C: Drive every week. So if I do get smacked real bad, I just run Acronis, wipe C Drive and then re-mirror last weeks image in less than 3 hrs. I also have 90GB's of Win7 Pro and Engineering Cadd, Photoshop and Art programs. Now that would take me a week of re-installing everything.

Good luck on whatever hijacked your system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts