Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I LOVE my pt-111 , Its my go to home defense gun. People tell me get a glock or a sig but my 329$ mil pro fits my hand and goes bang every time. Well until recently, The other day at the range when I racked the slide back on the first round ( I keep the chamber empty) it jammed the slide about half an inch from closing. When I pulled the slide back and forced the problem round out the next worked fine. Was it just a bad round? Ive put about 350 rounds through the gun. IT seems like I saw on a sight that other milpro's do the same thing. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'd say one isolated incident, nothing to get worried about.

There's a couple of things that could have gone wrong, All more than likely unintentional
Riding the slide forward when racking the round into the chamber
Dirty weapon I highly doubt this one but hey it's a possibility
Mag not seated firmly again doubt it but possible
Dirty mag

I've never had an issue with my pt111 keep it in my sock drawer or on my hip whenever legal to do so!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I don't think it was any of those, Its a possibility tho the booth I was in had a burnt out light.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Not trying to criticize, but do you carry with an empty chamber? Your choice, but I wouldn't want to have to remember that in an SD situation. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
btleslie, he said it's his go to HD gun, so maybe not licensed to carry yet.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
This is a good carry pistol when he gets to it. That fail to feed makes me think fat cartridge or dirty chamber.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I LOVE my pt-111 , Its my go to home defense gun. People tell me get a glock or a sig but my 329$ mil pro fits my hand and goes bang every time. Well until recently, The other day at the range when I racked the slide back on the first round ( I keep the chamber empty) it jammed the slide about half an inch from closing. When I pulled the slide back and forced the problem round out the next worked fine. Was it just a bad round? Ive put about 350 rounds through the gun. IT seems like I saw on a sight that other milpro's do the same thing. Suggestions?
Testing a semi-auto handgun's functioning while cycling by hand is a very poor way to test the way it functions. MOST of mine will not function at 100% doing this.

The only way to test reliability is with live ammo, firing normally.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
There are two ways to load a semiauto's chamber.

1. When the slide is locked to the rear.

2. When the slide is fully forward (in battery).

99% of the situations described above come from folks loading with the slide forward.

Instead of pulling the slide
"fully to the rear, and releasing it" they maintain hand contact and "ride it forward", creating a stoppage.

It's a common mistake.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
MY PT-111 Pro (3rd gen TBW91,xxx) is just about 3 years old and never had any feed, eject, fire problems of any kind. I have less than a thousand rounds through it.
My only problem is that I shoot fairly sloppy with it. I can hit the target, but do not make good groups. However, I trust it Its now my # 1, cause,
During Christmas I sold my 1911, XD, and PT 845.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a Chl yet. I used to figure Id have time to rack the slide in an emergency in my house. Since that incident at the range tho with the failure to feed I keep one in the chamber. That way if worst comes to worse I can at least get one round off if necessary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I shoot Kinda sloppy with mine too brojohn I think the firesights might help me but for home defense I figure its not worth it. My place is small enough that unless flat Stanley breaks in, I'm accurate enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a Chl yet. I used to figure Id have time to rack the slide in an emergency in my house. Since that incident at the range tho with the failure to feed I keep one in the chamber. That way if worst comes to worse I can at least get one round off if necessary.
I had that exact same issue....shot 250 rounds Win White Box and no problems...then loaded my mag with Fiocchi and thats when it happened...every round in that mag failed to chamber...went back to Win WB and no problems...just to be sure, the next weekend I loaded up one mag with Fiocchi and the same issues happened, FT Chamber.....loaded the other mags with Win WB and Rem Golden Sabers and not a single issue.....just saying, this is what happened to me...

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I'd say check the mag springs and your racking method. Either one of those will produce failures to feed 90% of the time in Mil-Pro's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will do, I appreciate all the advise everyone has given me. I think in my case it was really just a bad round but its probably time to check the springs on the mag anyway.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I would definitely start there, sometimes when the springs are a little too tightit pushes the next round forward a little bit. The nose catches the feed ramp and dips forward. If they're stiff, work them up and down about 50 times to simulate firing and reloading the magazines. Worked wonders for my 945 extra mag which produced a similar problem when i first bought it.

Reactions: ranvier
1 - 15 of 15 Posts