Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I need some assistance with my new 24/7. It's having issues feeding. I would say one or two rounds out of every three magazines fails to load and from looking at it I'm thinking the ejector might be too tight? I've included a few pics for reference. Sorry, I wish I had more information to add but I'm not sure what else to offer.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Could be the gun.
Just this past Dec or Jan I had a terrible feeding problem on a new gun. Worst I ever had. I was positive something was wrong with the gun. It was not until I open the rest of the box (100 ct) that I had been using and looked at it. Some of the ammo was real short, and others were real long. Bottom line- I had a bad batch of Winchester 95 gr fmj 380.
Some of the short stuff was 0.861 length over all. Thats well over 100/thousandths short. The longer stuff- I either shot or could not find it- as I had dumped the box in the trash. I just couldn't find it all.
My point here is- look at the ammo. Just eyeballing it- it should all be the same length. If you can see the difference with the naked eye- its out of spec.

Next thing to check is the magazine- when you have a misfeed- mark that mag. If you find that the problem is always occurring with the same mag- then that may be a problem mag.
Also- this happens while you are shooting right?- not while hand-cycling the gun. Its easy to hold back and ride the slide part way back to battery which can cause misfeeds. The slide needs to "slam" home.
Thats about all I have at this point. Maybe some 24/7 owner will come along who had this experience with his gun who may know exactly what the problem is.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the ammo is PMC bronze it seems to all be the same but ill look more closely. It seems to happen with both of my magazines so I don't think thats the issue. As far as cycling I had the issue when I put my first 30 rounds through it and I just hand cycled the same 15 rounds through it a good seven or eight times alternating mags and made sure to draw it all the way back and let it slam home on its own. It still seemed to happen with about the same frequency. I. Just not sure what could cause this and if its going to be my carry gun I can't have it failing that frequently or at all of that matter.

thanks

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
If you have not cleaned the gun (looks clean in the pics) and lubed it, then you need to do so before range time. A lot of guns are stiff when they are new, and many stumble a time of two at first. I would put a couple boxes through it to see how it does. They do limber a bit after a hundred or two rounds.
I have shot several boxes of PMC in several guns with no problems.

Hopefully a 24/7 owner will stumble by in a while...maybe they are all stuck in the politics section. Hang on...someone who knows will come along...eventually, maybe.
Good luck with it....I'm crashing for now.
BJ

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of moving this to the problem section to see if it could get more visibility

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some closer looking I think what may be happening is the brass casing is hanging on the inside (non ejection port side) of the chamber. The feed ramps and the right hand side seem pretty well polished but it seems that there isn't quite as much rounding/polishing on that side of the chamber. I'll be calling Taurus tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I discovered a small burr inside the left side of the chamber so I smoothed it down with some super fine grit emery cloth and then polished the devil it of it. I have since cycled at least 150 dummy rounds through it without issue so I'm pretty confident it's good now. Thanks for the suggestions all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got out to the range yesterday. I was only able to put 50 rounds through it as that's all I had; but for all of those rounds it fed happily and operated without issue.

however, it seems that it's suffering from the all to well known issue of not staying in sa mode. It will "pop" out of sa from time to time and it will reset almost every time the slide is racked. I'm going to email Edith in CS and see if she will send me a replacement trigger group so I can repair it myself. Here's hoping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts