Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so here's my story,

Millennium pro PT111 9mm 3rd generation.
While practicing at home with snapcaps, i noticed that when i loaded a new mag with the slide open, wether i relased the slide by hand or disengaging the slide lock with my thumb, finger off the trigger of course, the firing pin will not cock leaving the gun in DA mode. If i load the new mag with the slide closed, with or without an empty chamber, when i cycle the slide i will cock the firing pin 8 out 10 times.

On the last trip to the range i was able to confirm this, not only it will not engage the firing pin, when pulling the trigger in DA mode i would only get a click (no BUM!, BAM! or BANG!), i would have to pull the trigger a second time for it to fire. This was consisted with every new load with any of my four mags (2 new and 2 used). Now, after the first bang the rest of the rounds in the magazine worked fine (no second strikes); there was only one round in a box of fifty that failed to fire after four strikes. Mind you, this is ammo provided by the firing range, i cannot remember the brand but i hadn't heard it before, so the clicks may be a combination of cheap ammo/light pin strike. Come to think of it, I didn't think of ejecting and inspecting the rounds when they didn't go off. I'll do that in my next trip.
This is driving me batty because I fully understand how the entire internal mechanism works, all the parts seem to be in good working condition, nothing is visibly broken or worn off and yet i can't put my finger on it.

I'm going to send it in for a good overhaul, but i wanted to know if anyone out there has had a similar experience, and if there's any advice.

Thank you all.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've not experienced any problems with my MilPro PT111. Sorry to learn that you are.

Is this a new pistol, and if so, did you give it a thorough deep cleaning to remove the cosmoline packing medium and then lube the pistol before you took it out to the range? If you didn't get the gunk out, therein may lie your problem.

Give Taurus customer service a call, and they'll take real good care of you.

They actually replaced the only Taurus handgun I've ever had to send back. Whichever they elect to do...repair or replace, you'll most likely end up satisfied.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I agree with Milpro, if this is a new gun and it has not been cleaned very thoroughly then the packing cosmoline could cause firing issues as the grease may interfere with the firing pin moving or really dragging it down. Before sending it in I would clean it really good and try again. If that does not work then I would contact Taurus CS and they will take care of you.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Firing depends on the cleanliness of the striker and its channel. That calls for a detailed disassembly and cleaning. IMO

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Firing depends on the cleanliness of the striker and its channel. That calls for a detailed disassembly and cleaning. IMO
And this bit of sage advice comes from one who KNOWS.

Take a look at his signature box and check out his array of handguns. :thumb:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for your replies.

Actually i bought this gun used, so i don't know how many rounds have been put thru it, but before i tried it i gave it a good scrub.
I was tinkering with it today and i think i have figured it out. The catch, on the frame side, that holds the firing pin when the slide is cycled, is not supposed to move down when forward pressure (from the firing pin spring) is applied until the trigger sear pushes it back and down to release the firing pin. I simulated the scenario with the tip of a screw driver and the catch does move down just enough to loose grip of the firing pin hook when the slide is released. I cycled the slide slowly several times and the firing pin was cocked every time, then by letting go of it and it failed every time.

I ran the same test on my 709 Slim and the hook on the frame is solid as a rock when pushed forward, when pushed back it tilts downward.

So i guess is off to Taurus with it. I'll post the end results when it comes back.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Considering you got it used and that was the only problem found, i think you'll make out good once Taurus takes care of it. There's a chance that whoever had the pistol before you didn't take advantage of snap caps when dry firing. Without the resistance of a bullet-like object in the way, excessive wear will be applied to all of the moving parts of the striker system. Hopefully you'll have the problem taken care of rather quickly.

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Twice I have had a problem with a gun failing to fire. Once with my 24/7 OSS when it was new. Once on a Glock 17 with over 40,000 rounds through it. In both cases the cure wasn't just a normal field strip and clean, but actually removing the firing pin, extractor and ejector and thoroughly cleaning the parts and the channels before lubing to factory specifications and reassembling.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Alright!!! I sent my guns to Taurus last Wednesday the 21st (I hadn't had time to send them earlier) and I got them back today at 1:55PM, how's that for speed!
The Millennium apparently had more problems than i thought, they replaced the firing pin, the captive firing pin spring which was causing missfires (that explains the light strikes), the sear, and the link pivot which also contributed to missfires. So the problem cocking the firing pin is gone.
My 709 Slim, which i had to send because the extra mags that i had bought would not fit it, apparently had a cracked mag release which was replaced. I Think this is just an excuse for their records because i didn't have any trouble with the original mags that came with it. I'm not going to complain though.
So tomorrow morning is off to the range, I'll be reporting when I come back.
Cheers.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Glad to hear about the speedy turnaround. Now you just have to give us a range report to make it official that they're all better now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news everyone!!! Back from the range and nothing negative to report. I put 112 rounds through my Millennium (100 WWB FMJ 115gr and 12 Federal of the same) and not a single failure of any kind; granted that 112 rounds may not be enough to tell, but I feel comfortable. I was pressed on time because when i got to the range, it was closed to the general public for some special group of individuals, law enforcement probably. So that set me back, and i had taken all of my handguns and a ton of ammo to test them all.
Anyways the good thing is that im happy with the results. I'll try to go back soon to test it some more.
Cheers,

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's good new Cesarfi. Glad to hear to of the speedy turnaround time and the problem is fixed!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts