Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the factory spec is on the PT1911 recoil spring is? Is it 16#? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The GI spec is 16#... however many of the custom guns are going for the 18.5# like the Taurus because of the increased dependability of gun. You can change it... without stripping the gun, just removed the cap and swap them out, but beaware of any problems with FTF or FTE... keep the 18.5# close at hand to see if it doesn't clear these up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm assuming it has the 16# from the factory. I have a wilson replacement 18# waiting to be broken in, but haven't fired it yet. It feels stronger with the 18# in it though. But I believe the stock is 16#, especially the way mine throws brass into the next county!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The Taurus comes with an 18.5# spring standard... designed to handle the p+ loads... and also to make sure to head off FTF or FTE

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The GI spec is 16#... however many of the custom guns are going for the 18.5# like the Taurus because of the increased dependability of gun. You can change it... without stripping the gun, just removed the cap and swap them out, but beaware of any problems with FTF or FTE... keep the 18.5# close at hand to see if it doesn't clear these up.
--------
The Taurus comes with an 18.5# spring standard... designed to handle the p+ loads... and also to make sure to head off FTF or FTE
but wouldn't a heavier/+p recoil spring cause problems (FTF/FTE) with lighter/ regular loads?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm.... interestingly enough, Taurus customer service told me they use a 16# recoil spring in the PT1911. So, Cimarron, could you tell me where you got your information? If you got it from Taurus I am going to be really confused! ;)

Gray_Wolf, yes the heavier spring could cause some issues with lighter loads. As far as factory loads with a 230gr round, I haven't heard of an 18.5# recoil spring being a problem for feeding and ejecting rounds. However, if the PT1911 uses the standard 16# recoil spring, then I am going to stick with that weight when the time comes to swap out the recoil spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts