Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a new one on me. Notice the "X" stamped at the end of the serial number on the right side of the frame in one of the pics.

"We are selling a factory refurbished Taurus 454 Raging Bull chambered in .454 Casull. It has a 8 3/8" stainless ported barrel, factory rubber grips, adjustable rear sight, post front sight, and comes in the box with paperwork. It does have handling marks on both sides of the barrel and on top and bottom of the barrel as you can see in the pictures. It still holds the factory lifetime warranty for function but not for any cosmetic defects."

Taurus 454 .454 Casull 8 3/8" SS/Rubber REFURB : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Found another one!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283789139

·
Super Moderator
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wow
$200 discount for some handling marks on the barrel,funny because both of them are refurb's
But why? if there's a lifetime warranty I don't get why they weren't fixed for the original owner if they are fixable to sell as a refurb. They look like they've been fired. Maybe they are factory samples or damaged in transit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
.you could be on to something.
it was probably easier for them to replace the gun.then fix the problem with the broken gun at the time.
the original owner probably called them 10x a day asking where their gun was after 6 weeks

·
Registered
27 Posts
They probably screwed the pooch on the repair (nice gun+ new employee= thrashed gun). Then they replaced the gun. Well since this gun is working now they could sell it, right?

Probably not. There is probably an ignorant law that was passed stating something along these lines...... No weapons manufacturer will sell firearms with identical seriel numbers or sell used firearms.

Since they sold the gun once, they can't sell it again according to a stupid law. Hence the big X.

This is all just a guess.:guns:

·
Super Moderator
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.you could be on to something.
it was probably easier for them to replace the gun.then fix the problem with the broken gun at the time.
the original owner probably called them 10x a day asking where their gun was after 6 weeks
Could be they needed parts from Brazil and just replaced it rather than make the customer wait six months on the next boat load of parts. I noticed that Midwest Hunters Outlet advertises new Gauchos all the time. They must have a good connection with Taurus.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
They probably screwed the pooch on the repair (nice gun+ new employee= thrashed gun). Then they replaced the gun. Well since this gun is working now they could sell it, right?

Probably not. There is probably an ignorant law that was passed stating something along these lines...... No weapons manufacturer will sell firearms with identical seriel numbers or sell used firearms.

Since they sold the gun once, they can't sell it again according to a stupid law. Hence the big X.

This is all just a guess.:guns:
That is exactly how it happened with me. My second G2 was in Miami for the fourth time, and when it hit 2 months I finally got a replacement. Since it is considered a 'used' gun the first time it is transferred, they add 'X' and call it a Refurb. I've seen a few at the local fun shows, but not good enough deals to buy, but that is probably due to the dealers thinking they can get away with gouging right now.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
But I'd take a chance on a new(???) refurbished. My guns get marks on the all the time thru use....

·
Registered
398 Posts
This is a new one on me. Notice the "X" stamped at the end of the serial number on the right side of the frame in one of the pics.

"We are selling a factory refurbished Taurus 454 Raging Bull chambered in .454 Casull. It has a 8 3/8" stainless ported barrel, factory rubber grips, adjustable rear sight, post front sight, and comes in the box with paperwork. It does have handling marks on both sides of the barrel and on top and bottom of the barrel as you can see in the pictures. It still holds the factory lifetime warranty for function but not for any cosmetic defects."

Taurus 454 .454 Casull 8 3/8" SS/Rubber REFURB : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Found another one!

Taurus 425 Titanium 41 Magnum .41 Mag 6" SS Refurb : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
It's a gun, not a kidney; blemishes do not affect performance. Look at it this way. With MIM parts guns are "assembled" at the factory. If all goes well they function; if not they get sent back for service. Although this costs money it is cheaper than having all of them fitted by a trained gunsmith. However, when they are sent back for service they are given to a trained gunsmith. The "renovated" product may actually be superior. Personally I try to find renovated products. Besides, $200 is a lot of ammo.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
When I was selling electronics and computers, I often had to convince customers that a factory refurb was worth considering.
My reasoning: When the item was built, it moved along an assembly line and probably fifteen or more people hand a hand on it and any one of them could have done something wrong.
But when an item is refurbished, it's refurbed by only one repairman who knows it's his @ss on the line if he does something wrong. Thus, he's likely to be more conscientious than someone on an assembly line.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I've always been one to take a look at refurb items, and if it seems fine on initial inspection i'll buy it. They tend to always carry a factory warranty, and if you're nervous about that running out you can buy additional warranties like it's new. I would take a refurb Taurus if the price is right, all of mine were used before i bought them anyway. Still have a lifetime warranty on them, so as it is i'm satisfied.

Reactions: CJS3
1 - 11 of 11 Posts