Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a model 82 that was a special order. It looked like most new revolvers. Covered in cosmoline, a little grime from test firing, but otherwise looking nice and new. After getting home and cleaning it the barrel seemed to have some pitting in the bore. So I cleaned it again (copper solvent, brush, boresnake, repeat several times). With a bore light and clip-on magnifiers I had no doubt; moderate, and in places, severe pitting.

I filled out a work order and sent it to Taurus yesterday. What I'm hoping for is a new barrel with clean, sharp rifling and no vise marks on the frame. I paid for a new gun and frankly, I've seen better bores in old com-block arsenal refinish jobs. I'm disappointed because I've owned several Taurus revolvers (including an older, square-butt 82 that I still regret selling). They were all great guns that functioned flawlessly.

Anybody have any ideas on what I can expect? Anybody have similar trouble with a new Taurus Revolver? I wasn't interested in the Taurus-Bashing that was on some of the other forums, and I'm glad I found this one.

·
5,686 Posts
Did you contact them first? They will pay for shipping within the first 6 months. You always want to call first so they can give you all the instructions on shipping it correctly. They will send you a prepaid shipping label.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes, they would for the first year, though reports here indicate that they only cover the first 6 months now. You need to call them and get them to (1) send you a FedEx label by email, or (2) arrange for FedEx to pick up your item with the paperwork done. I don't think they'll reimburse you. Next time, call first?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! thanks for the replies! Guess I should have called. I just followed the instructions on the website for sending a gun in for service. Fiddlesticks.

BTW, anybody ever see pitting on a new revolver barrel like this?

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you ever have to send firearms next time, see if your local gun store will do it for you. They can ship USPS, whereas you can't. I've heard $15 postage + $5 for their time being the typical charge.

Some big box stores will help you ship a gun you bought from them for free to the manufacturer too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Place I bought it from wouldn't ship it. Guess I gotta look around for new gun stores. I don't like the big boxes so much because it takes a L-O-N-G time to get customer service. Blah.

·
5,686 Posts
Place I bought it from wouldn't ship it. Guess I gotta look around for new gun stores. I don't like the big boxes so much because it takes a L-O-N-G time to get customer service. Blah.
I wonder why they wouldn't, it's not like they would be out any money. I wouldn't do business with them if that's the kind of service they offer. Our FFL is cheaper to ship from because they get a business discount, whereas it would cost me more to send it on my own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts