Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Sig P228 mags I can run Hornadyy Critical Defense 115 gr with not problems.
With the factory Taurus mags these rounds will not feed. They get caught on the feed ramp.
Any ideas on how to correct this? Thinking of swapping the followers between the different mags.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I usually make sure the feed ramp is really clean, using a Flitz cloth by hand. I then spray the ramp with a dry Teflon lubricant, such as Tri-Flo.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I wouldn’t try to correct a round that doesn’t feed properly in a gun. Either stick with the Sig mags (if you’re confident they will always feed reliably) or switch to a different defensive round (the easy option).

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yep — because IF you “fix” it you are probably JUST a hair over the “it’s working” line.
Personally with SD, I want 110% rock solid, no worries performance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my G2 and have noticed that when racking the top-most round into the chamber prior to holstering, that round will sometimes get stuck nearly perfectly horizontal between the feedramp and breech face. I just rip the mag out and try again. It'll usually work the next try.

This happens when racking 'by hand' rather than pressing slide stop w/ slide already locked back. IDK exactly why it happens; just that it does happen approx. 20% of the time for me. (that may be overstating it)

Critical Defense otherwise shoots and cycles fine for me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I’ve noticed some factory g2 mags aren’t built as good as others. My original mags from my first g2 had a bigger seam and one didn’t drop free. My new g2c mags and the extra new factory mags look much better small seams one mag the seam is almost smooth. I’d try different factory mags new production. Also how old are your mags and how long have they been compressed. Springs could get weak feed lips could be tweaked. When the last time they were totally disassembled and cleaned inside? You’d be amazed at powder fouling that gets in them. Maybe the follower is dragging due to crap in them. Also I found a plastic nub on one of my old ones dragging causing issues. You could only see it when disassembled. If none of that works then run dig mags or different ammo. Critical defense is good but federal hst seems better in tests though a little more costly. Also Winchester defend performs excellent in test and is priced about like critical defense in my area. Both those work really well in short barreled pistols too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My G2C eats any FMJ I have tried including the white bits cheap stuff. I do not shoot HP as my SD ammo is Underwood Extreme Defender. I spite it the unusual bullet form it feeds flawlessly. I have read accounts that i5 often fails to feed in some Kahrs.

Sone one above mentioned letting loaded mags sit for a while. I agree with that. It helps ease the mag spring tension. Excessive spins tension can push the round too hard and cause it to angle as it presents to the feed ramp. Let the loaded mags sit for a couple days and try again. If it works then you know as you use the mags more the problem will disappear.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If a particular round does not consistently feed in a gun, I would recommend not using that round. The fact that feeding woks when using a different manufacturer’s magazine does not change my mind. The OEM magazines were made to be used in the gun. If the experienced feed failure of a specific is not reported by others, then I have to assume the problem is peculiar to you gun or OEM magazines. The question is why are you having a problem when others are not? It is most likely a feed ramp or magazine problem. However, if others magazines are not producing the result you experience, that it seems to me your magazine of off spec or damaged.
I would call Taurus CS to reportnthe problem. They might have a fix or thoughts on the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts