Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Brand new to the forum. I shoot .45 autos, but just purchased a Taurus .38 SPL Model 85 UL with a 2" barrel for my female significant other. Cannot believe how light this gun is...I think it says 17 ounces. Anyway, I am curious to know from some of the local "experts" who know more about these guns than I do, what they would recommend with regard to a good practice/target/shoot 'em up ammo, and then some recommendations on what you might recommend with regard to a good factory load that has good stopping power, will not damage my firearm and is not too difficult by a female in such a light firearm. I carry Gold Dots in m .45 but thought I would ask some recommendations from some people who know more about short barreled suubbies than I do. As a side note, I am told by the manufacturer (today on the phone) that this gun is +P rated....hard to believe as light as it is but any comments on that also, or should I stick to something non +P in this ultralight. Thanks very much and stay safe.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome! There are many discussions on the +p rating and ammo in this section and in the 'firing line'; just do a quick search from the home page and you will probably get all the info you can handle!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Speer Gold Dot short barrel in my 85 but it's not the UL model as for practice I usually use wadcutters or semi wadcutters in the 147 grain area they are very nice for practice. My wife has been shooting 38 for 30 + years and those are her loads of choice also, and she is the one carrying the 85 most of the time.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You and that homework you give out Qwiks draw,lol :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
nnpd471 said:
Hello everyone. Brand new to the forum. I shoot .45 autos, but just purchased a Taurus .38 SPL Model 85 UL with a 2" barrel for my female significant other. Cannot believe how light this gun is...I think it says 17 ounces.
If it's the Mod 85 2BUL it is, in fact 17 ounces. I have a Mod 605 SH2 Titanium .357 which is only 16 ounces. I usually shoot Federal 130 gr .357 mag Hydra-Shok in it. It's a little stout but not too bad. My wife handles these OK but I got some Federal 129 gr Hydra-shok .38 +P for her to try and they're real "cream puffs" in my 16 ounce gun. I suggest that you try them in the Mod 85. They're marked "Personal Defense Low Recoil". I think that you and your significant other will really like them. Although they're +P the recoil is pretty mild even in a 16 ounce gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts