Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to pose this question to anyone, everyone that may be able to explain this.

Why is it that when reviewing new guns the reviewers always s have a large selection of different brands, types and weights of bullets to run thru them and then also comment like well this particular bullet wouldn't run. It wouldn't Cycle or had other problems and then the reviewer would pass that ammo off as it just doesn't work in this gun.

But then I see it time and time again that when someone posts a question about a particular round they are trying to load most times it always comes back that the reloader had done something wrong? Or they just don't know what they are doing! Seldom, almost never, have I seen where anyone has come back and stated that we have tried it and that bullet just doesn't work in that gun?

Was just having a conversation with someone, a real arrogant AH, that says he can make any bullet run in any gun, no doubts about it. After that I had to leave the conversation.

Reactions: markr6754

·
Administrator
35,119 Posts
I think as long as you're using standard practices for reloading, and staying within the parameters set forth in the reloading manual, that you're doing everything you can on your part. Now, that's not to say that a lower charge of powder might not cycle a certain type of firearm - I've read stories of lower powder charged 9mm not cycling a Glock, for example. But, I think that when you buy factory ammo, you're buying something that generically should cycle and function in most guns you shoot it in. Of course, some guns won't like this factory ammo or that factory ammo, but overall they make it to function in a broad spectrum of guns on the market. That's why you typically don't see stunning accuracy from factory ammo, unless you happen to find one that really gets along well with your particular gun.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Just a couple experiences I have had with ammo. Will they answer your questions? Probably not!

A few years ago I bought some, I think, 200gr. plated SWC to load for my PT1911 .45acp. They wouldn't feed reliably. I did try a few different OAL on the cartridge but they wouldn't work. My solution? Buy some 200gr. plated ball! They feed just fine no tweaking needed. That same gun has in the past ran 185gr lead SWC just fine. And it runs 200gr. Hornady XTPs, fairly large hollow point, just fine too. Of course all of that is handloads.

As for factory ammo the only thing I have encountered that was a large problem was some 9mm ammo my friend bought to run through his HK VP9. The stuff is MaxxTech, not Magtech, and it was the absolute worst ammo I have ever seen! It had the step down inside the case. The HK would simply not cycle more than 2 rounds and only managed that a couple times.

So does any of that answer your questions? Probably not, just a couple experiences I have had.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know that there is an answer, only the question/thought.

To me it appears the perception is that not all factory ammo will perform/work in every gun and that is acceptable, yet that is not the case for handloads. Such as the case of the lead SWC I just tried casting and loading. With the 2 different 45acp guns I own I have loaded RN and TC with no problems other than needed to load them shorter than most listed data. At this point I have not tried any HP or other SWC designs. I do wish I would have done more research before starting with that mold and I would have found that the SWC is near impossible to load for the Springfield XD unless it is a XDm model.

Again I watch the video reviews and there will always seem to be some form of HP that will not cycle well so why can't we expect that with handloads?

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
583 Posts
Factory ammo has to meet certain standards while reloads do not. That is why if a firearm will not load a certain factory ammo it is noted but reloads only meet the requirements of the reloader.
So the reason for reloads being held in doubt is the reloader themselves.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Factory ammo has to meet certain standards while reloads do not. That is why if a firearm will not load a certain factory ammo it is noted but reloads only meet the requirements of the reloader.
So if a factory round has been found to be unreliable in a particular gun should I as a reloader be able to take those same components, brass and bullets, and make them reliable? Seeing as most issues are chambering related which powders and primers play no part in.

Do you believe that some guns just do not particularly like certain bullet profiles? Regardless of who is loading it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You pose an interesting question, and I feel where you’re coming from. I recently bought a Springfield EMP 40 S&W. Prior to receiving the gun I picked up 4 different boxes of factory ammo, as I had plenty of reloads on hand, but never start a new pistol on my own cooking. Other than what looked like some incredibly light primer strikes...everything fired except one round of MaxxTech, and that fired on the 2nd strike. So out of curiosity, I measured the various fired cases, as well unfired rounds from each box, and discovered the cases were all different lengths, the rounds were all different C.O.L.s, and the brass differed in thickness from one brand to another. By smell I could tell that every brand used a different powder, and by coloration, all of the primers were different.
Clearly, “factory ammo” is as different as my reloads are from yours.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ammo and guns are not created equal. Design specs that created and utilized 9mm Parabellum have strayed all all over the place through the past decades.

I had a Finnish K-31 that threw modern factory nines sideways at 50 yards. The rifle's pristine bore had a .358'' groove diameter and the factory bullets I used were measured at .355'' diameter. I had good luck using 147 gr. truncated cone lead sized to 358''.

Later on a beautiful Walther P-38 crossed my path. Same issue as with the K-31, having a .358'' groove diameter, but with shallow rifling. The ammo I hand loaded for the Finnish worked fine in the P-38 also. No more shotgun pattern.

If buying factory ammo were my only option, then I'd try hunting and pecking for that perfect round that makes my gun run well.

Since I'm too cheap to buy decent factory ammo and have owned several guns requiring ammo which is no longer being manufactured, I reload.

As for the guy who can make any bullet run in any gun... yea, right. Send him my way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If a factory round will not work correctly, a reloader "may" be able to take the components and make them work in the same firearm.
I am saying the reloader is the one who sets standards for their reloads and the standards may not meet those of others or SAMMI standards.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
When you buy factory ammo you're buying "off the rack". It will fit most people okay but on different people the
sleeves may be too short, might be a little loose in the hips, heaven help you're my wife trying to find a pair
of jeans that fits.

When YOU are a reloader, you're a TAILOR. What you're making should fit the person your making it for perfectly.
There's no reason why it shouldn't.

Honestly, in forty years of reloading, the only loads I've made that wouldn't function in all my guns were my own
fault.

Just my two cents.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Was just having a conversation with someone, a real arrogant AH, that says he can make any bullet run in any gun, no doubts about it. After that I had to leave the conversation.[/QUOTE]

Wrong....

Attachments

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I would like to pose this question to anyone, everyone that may be able to explain this.

Why is it that when reviewing new guns the reviewers always s have a large selection of different brands, types and weights of bullets to run thru them and then also comment like well this particular bullet wouldn't run. It wouldn't Cycle or had other problems and then the reviewer would pass that ammo off as it just doesn't work in this gun.

But then I see it time and time again that when someone posts a question about a particular round they are trying to load most times it always comes back that the reloader had done something wrong? Or they just don't know what they are doing! Seldom, almost never, have I seen where anyone has come back and stated that we have tried it and that bullet just doesn't work in that gun?

Was just having a conversation with someone, a real arrogant AH, that says he can make any bullet run in any gun, no doubts about it. After that I had to leave the conversation.
well there are a lot of variations , both in firearms and in ammo and components, by the very luck of the draw one can see why eventually you are going to get two that do not play well together.
to me its not about getting a particular round or load to run in a particular weapon its about getting it to do so 99.99999 % of the time.
if using factory ammo that's why most suggest to try several different brands and styles to test the weapon.
now as to reloading-- well -- I have found even when just changing from one brand of projectile to another that function problems may arise--usually due tot eh taper or length of the projectile and so one may need to check any new round produced for proper chambering etc before loading say 1-200 rounds.
I look at it as I am the only quality control inspector/safety inspector of my reloads and I act accordingly. nothing makes me more insane than to have a weapon that will not function when I take it to the range and so I really try to not let that happen.
If I have a reload that will not function in my weapon , regardless of type of projectile, powder, primer. case or what ever the buck stops with ME as to the blame for that.
I the quality control inspector let that ammo out of MY factory--period!

·
Registered
36,032 Posts

ahhhhh- pretty much agree as long as we also understand that different weapons have different quality controls and testing before they leave the factory, and a lot of especially 9 MM weapons are NATO approved and tested with such ammo.
which is normally 124 grain ball ammo being pushed at NATO velocities.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
17,585 Posts
With factory ammo there just aren't any options to make it work. You're stuck. With reloads there often is something that can be adjusted to make it work. I wouldn't go so far as to say there's a way to make any bullet work with any gun. A statement like that betrays a lack of experience.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let's see if I can articulate this correctly, Sometimes I feel I don't do that well.

With factory as stated we are stuck with what was bought, it works or it doesn't, mostly we accept that. Reloads we are in charge and can alter the assembly to suite our needs or make adjustments to make them perform better. So I guess the question is, have any of you come across a bullet that just wouldn't work and you had to give up on it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can't modify factory ammunition , it works or it doesn't work or it sometimes works in a particular gun . That ammo may work great in my gun and fail miserably in yours.

Reloader can do a lot of things to a round to get proper function. The bullet used(bullet as projectile) is but a small part of a loaded round . If you are not a experienced reloader it would take a book to explain all the different things you can do to get a completed round to function in a gun.

I got cast 105 grain semi-wadcutter revolver bullets to work completely and accurately in a 9mm Luger Walther P-38 .
Now everybody knows 9mm lugers are not supposed to do that ...but with a little load development ... it can be done !
I have never come across a rifle bullet that I could't get to feed and fire in my rifles , I shoot mostly bolt action rifles .
I did have trouble getting a cast wadcutter bullet to feed in a 9mm Luger , but the semi-wadcutters I could make work .
Revolvers are a walk in the park . Anything goes .
Gary

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Let's see if I can articulate this correctly, Sometimes I feel I don't do that well.

With factory as stated we are stuck with what was bought, it works or it doesn't, mostly we accept that. Reloads we are in charge and can alter the assembly to suite our needs or make adjustments to make them perform better. So I guess the question is, have any of you come across a bullet that just wouldn't work and you had to give up on it?

No I can make any bullet work in any gun :sarcasm: Also I have only ever made 1 mistake, actually I didn't, the mistake was I thought I made a mistake when I didn't. :r_c: How is that for arrogance ?

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
In the world of firearms, there are people whose opinions and comments I respect and value.

Then there are other people who talk and talk about what they can do and what they've done. You just can't escape these types. I may pretend to politely listen, but silently there's no respect.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Reloads we are in charge and can alter the assembly to suite our needs or make adjustments to make them perform better. So I guess the question is, have any of you come across a bullet that just wouldn't work and you had to give up on it?

Yes!
Ranier 180 grain spire point plated in my 300 Black Out pistola.
simply would not feed/chamber regardless of what I did.
now this weapon runs flawlessly on 200, 210, 220, 240 grain spire points of various other manufactures.
tried various OAL and about 7 different magazines, different crimps etc--simply would not feed up the ramp into the chamber.

Reactions: oso and kmw1954
1 - 19 of 19 Posts