Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Factors affecting extracted brass flight path?

4K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Shinzon1 
#1 ·
I've twice found a half hour to take my new 809 to a local indoor range for a half hour. At this point I've got 200-300 rounds through it and every round has fired and extracted with the exception of 1 casing that got hung up. I'm not really worried about it though since I was shooting through some reloads that were pretty dirty and seemed to have a fair inconsistency in their charge.

But what really bothered me were how many casings hit me SQUARE in the forehead! Plus one that found its way down the back of my shirt... OUCH! So I got to thinking about the factors that may affect the flight path of extracting brass and figured I'd post here in the Smithing arena. So, for the smartest gun forum members on the planet, what are the factors and are any of them within my control? We've all seen how different semi-auto firearms produce vastly different patterns and paths so I figured it an interesting questions. Obviously I'd like to see if there's anything I can try to do with my 809 prior to sending it to Miami.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Off the top of my head, and I'm no smith, extractor tension and design, ejection port design (lots of 1911's have them flared and lowered for example) spring tension.... Just my initial quick thoughts. Curious to see what others say.

Reactions: bre346
#3 ·
Don't know myself, but, I'll be watching this thread. My 1911 seems to love flinging brass every direction. Even had a piece stand at attention on bill of my cap once, also can throw 'em amazing distances, I think 20 feet is the current record.

#4 ·
Yeah, Wolf. I've seen all kinds of things. I've even seen a 9mm, I think it was a CZ, that could damn near put them all in a coffee can if youplaced it just right. But the sure as heck weren't blasting the shooter in the forehead!

I love asking a through-provoking question on this forum! :cool:

#5 ·
first i would have someone else shoot it and see if extracted cases fly the same, if not, it is you the way you are gripping the pistol and control of the pistol through recoil. other than extractor (tension of extractor) pulling empty case into ejector to throw case out of pistol there's not much else. it is possible the opening in slide would need opened up,but that could be difficult to know for sure.

#6 ·
My PT809 does the same thing. I've noticed that gripping it tighter seems to help a bit, but i can still feel them graze my hair often. Mine only throws the brass at most 2 feet from me, and you never know which direction it will go. My PT140 Pro throws it a good 10 feet and they all land in a 2'x2' area.

#8 ·
I know for a fact, the ejector can affect the direction of ejection. My PT145 ejected forward and to the right. I tweaked it a little to the left, and it ejects as it should. To the right, and not forward.

#10 ·
So the scalphunter has become the hunted? :eek:

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Reactions: Wolf1477
#11 ·
I got my 24/7 compact back with a new extractor. The shells all go off to the right.

#12 ·
I do remember someone here sending their pistol back to MIA several months ago for the same issue, but I cannot remember the forum member or the pistol. Maybe they will happen along.

#16 ·
My ejector visibly leaned a little more center. I pushed it left, which apparently bent it, but not really enough to notice. Like Jake said, probably a 100th, if that much. Don't get carried away, or you will create more of a problem than you start with.

#15 ·
Length of Ejector has a lot to do with how a cartridge ejects or the amount of force, and when in the ejection cycle the cartridge is ejected. A slightly shorter ejector should throw more to the side. Also, the channel in the bolt usually has a little clearance and if you tweak the ejector a little to the left, it should throw more to the right. We aren't talking big tweaking here folks, just a hundredth if that much, and a little more upwards for less height.

Look at how your extractor is griping the cartridge rim and where the location of the ejector is in relation to the extractor and it should be evident which direction your tweaking should be done.

#18 ·
It is attached to the frame.

#20 ·
All ejectors are attached to the frame or at least have to interact with the frame, and yes you should be able to tweak it, although with you asking that question, you should find a good gun smith if you don't have a good understanding of ejectors.

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks, I was thinking that was the part. It seems firmly attached. I imagine tweaking the ejector would involve bending the pointy part, and not loosening and adjusting?
I seem to bump into that part quite often while scrubbing the frame feed ramp or cleaning the magazine well with a rag wrapped around the back end of a toothbrush. Do these minor bumps affect it?

#25 ·
My PT 92 will do the same thing if I am not holding it tight or if I let it recoil to much.

#26 ·
Two other shooters shot it the first time I had it out for a short run. Both experience brass hitting them in the forehead, between the eyes and grazing their hair as it shot just over their heads. I had it out again for about 150 rounds on Friday evening. When I got to the rink to change for my beer league hockey game, guys in the lockerroom were asking me what happened to my forehead. Even though I had cleaned the residue off left behind from the casings, they could tell I'd been peppered by something!

On the plus side, this thing shoots smooth and POI is right at POA. Except for when I flinch because I know the casing is going to whack me in the forehead!

Reactions: kaiged1
#27 · (Edited)
I just read an interesting article on ejector tuning, and it says the higher the impact point on the end of the ejector, the lower the ejection path. The article is talking about 1911 ejectors, but it should hold true for any ejector of this type. It starts out with extractors, so you have to scroll down a bit to get to the ejector. Ejection Perfection

#30 ·
Great minds think alike. I just got through tinkering with mine. :D I put a square on the mini frame and found that the ejector on my PT145 was angled back a bit making the impact point the bottom of the ejector. Which would account for the very high ejection pattern. I took a bit off the bottom and then a little off the top to try and get the impact point more in the center of the ejector. I just took a little off - just enough to see the difference when I held the square up to it. I'll have to check it on the range before I do any more work on it. Oh no! Now I HAVE to go to the range. :D

#33 ·
That reminds me of the story of the guy who was sitting on a curb hitting himself in the head with a hammer. Another fella happened along and asked him "why do you keep hitting yourself in the head with a hammer?" And the hammer guy responded "because it feels so good when I stop." The simple things in life really are the best. :D Now you've really got me itching to go check mine. Glad it's working out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.