Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting an m66 .357mag 4" in blue. I need something that will be reliable and have some stopping power. I'll me going to school in mexifornia so my guns will be staying at home but I still need me a personal defense gun. What has been the experience of others? I am also considering the same thing but in 6" I keep waffling and going between the two. any suggestions?

Is it a good gun?
will it survive to a high round count?
should I get 4" or 6"?

anyone who owns one or has other suggestions chime in please.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm considering one of these as well but am hesitant due to the 7 round cylinder. I would appreciate info on holsters, specifically OWB or drop leg style, in addition to any info for the OP concerning durability.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Are you wanting to be sold on the gun, or your choice of defensive arm, or both? That gun is outstanding, and could conceivably be carried in some type of concealed fashion with a 4'' barrel. To me, a 357 in 4'' barrel is just about as good as it gets.

Your choice of ammo for a defensive load is second to none. The 125 grain Federal/Remington/Winchester SJHP load is about a 97% one shot stopper, according to Evan Marshall's book. Some other calibers come close, but none surpass.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well let me jump in there! :eek: Stay away from that gun!! ;) Do not even go back to the store, because you will be hooked. :D Of course I want you to send me the store name and address, so I can go there and keep you from making a mistake!!! :???:

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Robby, you're always looking out for your fellow TA members.....it brings a tear to my eyes....really

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally I'm not considering this for any specific defensive use. I just need a good all around .357, I don't feel that any collection is complete without one. I just want to be able to carry some re-loads and not have to tuck it or carry it on a long day at the range or in the sticks. Which where I come from is pretty much the same thing. Also eyeballing the 608 line.

I also just like having at least one holster for all of my handguns, just like all of my rifles/shotguns get slings, I'm picky like that.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Corelogik said:
I also just like having at least one holster for all of my handguns, just like all of my rifles/shotguns get slings, I'm picky like that.
That's not picky, it logical. I do the same thing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Corelogik said:
Personally I'm not considering this for any specific defensive use. I just need a good all around .357, I don't feel that any collection is complete without one. I just want to be able to carry some re-loads and not have to tuck it or carry it on a long day at the range or in the sticks. Which where I come from is pretty much the same thing. Also eyeballing the 608 line.

I have an older 4" M66 and also a 608 with the 4" barrel. You are absolutely correct...no collection is complete without a .357 mag. Both guns shoot well, digest all kinds of ammo and have never given me a single reason not to like them. I would trust my life to either. The 66 is much more compact and (mine is the older 6 shot) acessories are much easier to come by than the with the 608. The 608 is considerably heavier being built on the large frame but between the two I perfer the 608. It's accurate, reliable, easy to shot and with the ported barrel much easier to control for follow up shots. I aslo reload and have run just about every conceivable load you can come up with from very mild 38 special 148gr DEWC in front of 3.3gr of N340 to HOT .357 mag 125gr SJHP in front of 8.4gr of Bullseye. Either way you go you won't go wrong.

·
32,737 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1098.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=945.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=7052.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=7545.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=7534.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5736.0

Reasons for getting a model 66,eh? Here's the reasons to get one. :)

7 shot speedloaders are out by HKS, www.hksspeedloaders.com
are available. Not that much bulkier than the 6 shot ones.

If a 6 shot version is more your style than Rossi has the 971/972. Can bring the links on that if asked for.

Have the older 66-6 shot version,blued. It's over 20+ years old and still giving sterling service. Just purchased the 7 shot version of the 66 in stainless as well. This one is doing well also.

Since I like fixed sights as well I have a model 65 in .357and a 82 in .38 Special. Both are 6 holers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After about 20 some years, my Taurus 66 is still my most accurate revolver. I can't even estimate how many .357 mag and .38 special rounds have gone through it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good, I think that I'll have to pick one up. maybe after this paycheck, I need to see how much money I have. I'm going to pick up my saiga from the gunsmith tomorrow (got the barrel cut down and a brake installed, should be sweet) after that I'll see how much money I have left...

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Mine were bought used, both older 6 shots. I can tell ya, the 4" nickeled one will shoot 1" groups with .38 or .357 it likes all day long and twice on Sunday. It's absolutely the most accurate 4" medium frame gun I've ever owned. My old Security Six didn't come close with .38s nor was my M19 Smith a lot better. The Taurus is a keeper. It's more rugged than a K frame Smith in the forcing cone area. I've had a Smith split the flat bottom of the forcing cone. The Taurus is beefier in this area and the forcing cone is round, not being as crowded as is the Smith. I think it's a stronger gun by design, though it ain't as tough as that old Ruger was. A lot more accurate, though.

The 3" gun is the older hammer block lockwork and isn't as slick in DA as the newer 4" gun, but it's still a very accurate shooter, almost as accurate as the 4" gun. It's seen a lot of hot loads judging by the smoothed off checkering on the rubber Pachmayr it came with. Yet, it's tight and times perfect.

I think they're tough as nails compared to a Smith K frame, myself, and lord knows they're better priced guns. The newer ones have a smooth DA, too, very nice. I'll never sell mine, can tell ya that!

Oh, as to the 7 round cylinder, not sure if it's any bigger than the 6 shooters were. It should fit K frame leather.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info, I ended up ordering the 66b6, I liked the proportions better, hopefully i can take it out next week. I got a box of .38 specials and will get some .357mag here soon (the store I went to was busy rearranging their ammo racks).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts