Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MIM extractor on my buddy’s PT1911 broke and he brought it over for some help replacing it.

I came across a Cylinder and Slide series 80 extractor and, having been exceptionally pleased with Cylinder and Slide parts for Ruger single action revolvers, thought we might as well give that a shot.

It goes in fine, needs no tuning, BUT there ain’t no way that it’s going to hold in the firing pin block.

Given that the options were a single shot pistol with a firing pin block, or a repeating pistol without, the block and its tiny spring are in a baggie right now.

What I wonder, and what I hope the collective wisdom here might know, is whether there is:

a) A non-MIM extractor that you’ve found that WILL hold in the Taurus firing pin block.

Or

b) A block designed for series 80 pistols that would fit the PT1911 and be retained by an aftermarket extractor. (Yes, I’m aware that the Taurus system is just “80 like” and not exactly the same, but I’m given to understand that the substantive differences are in the frame.)

While neither of us is overly concerned about the lack of parts in his gun’s slide, neither are we fanatic 1911 purists who reject anything that doesn’t have John Browning’s finger prints all over; and so we’d just as rather see all the holes for parts filled with parts.

Scott

·
Registered
624 Posts
i've had my original extractor on my pt1911 for over 3 years and over 14K round call Taurus customer service and ask to speak with Chris and he will probably send you one out right away,about five days. good luck.

cuban

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
I am not overly sure that the taurus 1911 extractor is MIM, but regardless if its a 1911 extractor its subject to break at anytime.
the Taurus extractors one of those few parst that will not intechange with other extractors.
so yuo (who ever owns one) should, have a backup anyway, course i got backup extractors for all my 1911's not just the Taurus.
a noted above just contact taurus and ask them to send you one, if they want the gun to be returned heck Just order one and pay for it, actually you need to order two!
I think the blue extractor for the 45 is about 18 bucks or so.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I'd do what others have said, it will work fine without the block in the mean time (in my opinion). I would still order a new extractor from Taurus and install all the parts when it comes. But If she's like my PT 1911 she begs to go to the range too much to be left home and non functioning!

I'm no smith though, so take my advice with a grain of salt! :)

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
  1. As far as I can determine, Taurus does not use MIM parts.
  2. I've seen enough guns hit the floor, and enough parts failures to not be willing to give up a designed-in firing pin block.
  3. As others have pointed out, the parts are available from Taurus.
I'd order the part from Taurus and keep the gun as designed. But then I don't think I'm a better gunsmith than the guys at Taurus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts