Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realy like this gun it was my first taurus. Have shot around 5,000 rounds. Is this a common problem? I hate to send it out because of the time it takes to get it back.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Metalhead, have you cleaned it real well? What about the mags; if you haven't done so I might give them a look as well and clean them out. You have come to the right place, there should be several guys that can give you some first-hand advice on this firearm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have cleaned the gun thoroughly, but not the mags. Whats the odds it being both mags? Is there a way to clean the mags with out taking the mag apart. Never taken a mag apart. Seem like a pain in the butt.

·
32,527 Posts
Here's a how to on the magazines to take them apart. The Mil/pro pistols have enough in common even though caliber differences are in issue.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1601.0

There are a few other things to look at.

You put 5000 rounds or so through the pistol.

The extractor spring could be weakening or out sync so to speak. Might need replacing. Can be done by ordering the part and doing it yourself if handy with tools and small parts or have a trusted accredited gunsmith do it. Or send the gun into Taurus and have them do it.

This is a mechanical contrivance. Parts do wear and tear. Especially on compact on compact or sub compact handguns. Doesn't matter brand,make,or model by any company. It's the nature of the beast.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2418.0

Then there's the issue of cleaning. Granted, you said you did that.Probably did a good job.

The firing pin channel and other nooks and crannies can collect debris and grime. Time to look for areas like this even though the gun was cleaned. Even us old coots can overlook or forget about this.
Extractor area can accumulate grit nad grime that's difficult to be aware of even if very good cleaning was done previously.Might well need cleaning like the firing pin channel.

Cleaning the firing pin channel with toothpicks with a drop of solvent on it , dental pick(can be bought cheap or used-Yeah sterlize that sucker :D ) that area,small patches with cleaner on them, and cotton swabs will get into those hard to reach places.

Many a malfunction can be attributed to the dirty firing pin area or to a weak spring in that area.

When cleaning magazines, do not heavily lube them. A silicon impregnated cloth run over them or with a very lightly oiled rag or with a synthetic lube wll keep rust from happening.
Putting mags back together properly and then function checking them is a necessity.

While this is all labor intensive none of it is hard. Just time consuming.This pistol is what you and others may well be betting their lives on to work properly. Maintenance is part and parcel of the reliability factor just as well made parts are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I've found the problem. The extractor looks like its been chipped. Oh well I guess the pt-111 will take a trip to Florida.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I was thinking that mine was smoooth where yours is half mooned shape.

Have you taken it out to see if you can just clean it up good?

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
There is a roll pin just behind the slide opening. Tap that pin out and the extractor, with the chamber indicator will come out. There is a small spring for the indicator that's pressed against the extrator and a bigger one for the extractor at the rear of the extractor that presses on the slide itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts