Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually like the Taurus Factgory grips. My Mods 66, 605, and 851 have almost identical grips expcept for size. And I wouldn't want anything bigger. If too many 357s get the web of my hand sore, I keep an old weightlifters glove in my kit.

But where do I find SMALLER grips for my Model 851? Same grip as the M85, but since I pocket carry, I'm trying to trim off as much bulk, length, and thickness as I can. Thr grip has more bulk than the rest of the piece. Hogue makes some "bantam" grips, but they're hard to find even on the net, and there's only a picture on Hogue's site.

I guess what I'm looking for are the skinny, plain wood grips that the old S&W chief's specials used to come with. If I could trim 1/4" off the length, and 1/8th" to 3/16ths" off the width of the 851, I'd be a happy camper.

Anybody have a clue as to where I can start looking?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
elwood, thanks. checking it out now. Have not seen these in a while, and I don't think they're in Taurus catalog.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They sure as heck aren't being carried by Taurus, those are some much older grips. Better scoop them up ASAP, as they are hard to find, and cheap. I paid $30 for a set couple years ago after long search, I use them with a Tyler T Grip.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Personally I hate the old style grips that came on the Chief Specials. I prefer what is known as 'boot grips' which gives a more gripping surface area and doesn't effect conceal carry.

A member here on the site is selling Uncle Mikes boot grips pretty cheap in the for sale section or if your looking for wood Altamont is a good source.
Altamont Company - Taurus

·
Registered
213 Posts
The grips we are talking about are not very egonomic , unless you add a grip adapter , such as the BK or Tyler T-Grip, which I like better than any boot grip. Most of the time the boot grip finger grooves are not positioned right for my hands, whereas the "Chiefs Special" with the grip adapters are.

Everyone has their own preferences, the original poster seems to like those grips.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FOUND 'EM! Found a set similar to the ones on Gunbroker. Found an almost identical set (used) on eBay at a decent price. Seller says he has had them on the 85-size frame, so I know they'll fit.

Hopefully the difference in size (about 1/4") will solve my temporary "space problem". BTW, for anyone else looking, these puppies are as scarce as hen's teeth. I guess they were standard at one time with Taurus, although I've never seen them.

If I hadn't found these walnuts, I would have checked out the Hogue Bantam Boot Grip next. They're advertised as being a tad smaller than the Taurus factory grips.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I didn't care for the Taurus factory grip either. Found an auction with the Uncle Mikes boot grips which are a copy of Craig Spegels. Much better for concealment. The auction had a bunch of grips and I only needed some so I have some for sale in the for sale section.
I like the way they look too compared to the factory grips.

On the factory grips the backstrap just looks weird and the Uncle Mikes just have a better look to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts