Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone knows if there are any short barrel exp. results on differnt bullets and
has anyone had any luck with the fed. prem. guard dogs

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
All I can show you is the business end of a 45 acp Speer 200 gr gold dot +P out of a PT145. Muzzle velocity was a shade over 900 fps, and after going through four layers of denim and four milk jugs full of water, this is what I found -

In chronograph testing I've found that +P pretty much makes up for the velocity loss on the shorter barrels, and the rounds perform pretty much like standard velocity from a 5" barrel. At least for 45 acp that's what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
thanks for ur help
Anytime. Probably worth mentioning the job it did on jug #1 too. Pretty much shredded it.

I like the gold dots a lot, and they can be had for relatively reasonable prices. I usually get a fifty round box for less than $30, and for that price I can afford to practice with them regularly. They're good performers.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Anytime. Probably worth mentioning the job it did on jug #1 too. Pretty much shredded it.

I like the gold dots a lot, and they can be had for relatively reasonable prices. I usually get a fifty round box for less than $30, and for that price I can afford to practice with them regularly. They're good performers.
You must buy from Ammotogo!

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Here's the link to another thread that MadKaw posted of a number of tests for expansion of different loads. You might want to check it out.

Ballistics Videos

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
My PT 145 is no picky,, so I'm blessed with being able to use whatever JHP is on sale. ;)
Same here with my 945, been using Remington UMC JHP's for target the last couple times out because Federal FMJ's have been scarce in. 45 ACP at my local walmart. They run like a champ and i try to keep a couple mags worth just in case i run through the two mags of Winchester PDX1 BHP's that i'm carrying.

·
Registered
27,127 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts