Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,272 Posts
True - internal pressure is exactly why smokeless works as a propellant. Seal it in a case with a bullet, you get remarkable results. Let it burn in a plastic bottle or on an open plate, it just... burns.

But there are other theories about this case that are equally or more plausible and have nothing to do with firearms...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,898 Posts
My guess would be pelosi and schumer had a fart-lighting contest while huntless biden was free-basing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I'm with smokewagon on this one. Waaaay too many things unknown. I strongly doubt if plain reloading, using normal components or tools could have caused an explosion like reported. I think anti-gun media streatching the truth, omitting pertenant info...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37,123 Posts
well this could have happened while the reloading process was going on, depends as many have said was it black powder (likely not) but that is an explosive, while smokeless powder is a propellant, but also an oxidizer.
oxidizers (such as Oxygen) in tanks or tents reduce the flash point of things around them.
failing to observe basic safety protocols can easily lead to accidents like this, a gallon of gasoline sitting in the area of the reloading process could have been the culprit once the flash occurred, even dust can cause a dust explosion that will easily destroy a building, especially a house.
lots of things that likely lead up to this.
never leave more powder in the vicinity of the reloading area than is in the dispenser, never ever leave the caps off it, and store primers in well protected areas.
it really doesn't take much of any explosion to increase pressure enough to blow a house apart.
here is one that had 1 gallon gas can stored in the basement and they pushed the hot lawn mower up to it.
we were like 3 minutes away to give you an idea of how fast things happen!
its a one story ranch with a drive under garage/basement!

Atmosphere Sky Twig Wood Natural landscape
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Local fire inspectors sometimes jump to conclusions before an in depth study is done. In my years as an electrical contractor, I have seen fire marshals declare building fires caused by electric problems when there was no power on the buildings. My guess is that there was gasoline stored in the garage and a spark from some known or unknown source caused the explosion and resulting fire. Smokeless powder if ignited would act as an accelerant not an explosive. The presence of the reloading apparatus set the stage for the initial impression of the cause. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part.
Yeah, all they probably had to do is see the reloading bench with the presses on it & VOILA, that's what HAD to have caused it, according to their sloppy inspection.
 
  • Like
Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
........here is one that had 1 gallon gas can stored in the basement and they pushed the hot lawn mower up to it......
To quote a line from the song called Banditos by The Refreshments "everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
Whew! We were just talking about making homemade black powder! I have a very hard time believing that smokeless powder did that blast. I wonder if he was smoking or had a space heater going near his work area?

I am not going to stop hand loading and would encourage you to study and begin if you are so inclined. Get re-loading manuals, find a mentor if possible and study videos. The Turret press is the most value in types of presses IMO.

I'm going to move your thread over to the reloading forum to get attention there.
My wife and two of my daughters are down in Florida this week, not far from there. It'll be bikini weather in that part of Florida until Thanksgiving or even later. Can probably rule out the space heater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Article in local news mentions nothing about reloading. Me thinks some reporter heard someone mention something and ran with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
In this article from the Tampa Bay Times, the man states that the explosion happened while he was reloading ammunition:

Photos: Seffner home explosion sends 2 to the hospital (tampabay.com)
We never used to hear about incidences like this happening before. Either : A) the anti gun media is seeking out such occurrences to give reloading a bad name, OR : B) with the advent of multiple new shooters on the block these days & many, hastily & without any mentoring, getting into reloading to get access to hard to find ammo, are doing stupid things while storing & loading their ammo.

I opt for 30% of "A" & 70% of "B."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I live about 15 miles east of Seffner and are encouraged by our sheriff (Grady Judd) to legally own firearms.

After reading the posts in this thread, I would say that you might be selling "B" a little short.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
38,236 Posts
Article in local news mentions nothing about reloading. Me thinks some reporter heard someone mention something and ran with it.
They made it a point to capture the image of the press outside the destroyed house and it was in the reports that I read that the owner claimed it was the source of the explosion. Ironically, I looked this morning for updates and there are none. Seems that the fire marshall would have been all through the remnants of the house by now with testing done.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
To quote a very famous man, "Fake News."
 
  • Like
Reactions: judgecrater

·
Registered
Joined
·
37,123 Posts
They made it a point to capture the image of the press outside the destroyed house and it was in the reports that I read that the owner claimed it was the source of the explosion. Ironically, I looked this morning for updates and there are none. Seems that the fire marshall would have been all through the remnants of the house by now with testing done.
well just because a person is wearing police uniform it doesn't mean he knows the law (or most of the laws) and just because one is wearing a Firemans uniform that he knows all about fire,---- cause, travel, etc!
it really is determined just how much GOOD training, and experience with that training that one knows about origin of Fire.
many Fire inspectors are local, some county a few sate and a few federal so it really depends!
MY take as to damage and possibility revolves around a bit of spilled powder (smokeless) laying on the bench, tools, floor etc and a ignition source? cigarette, water heater , furnace pilot light, etc.as Powder is already a flammable and oxidizer it being split and left on surfaces making it basically an explosive type dust that could easily explain the big boom to me, again just speculation on my part.

Nose Toy Gesture Organism Cartoon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I can tell you that you cant compare black powder with smokeless powder. I saw back in the 70's a friend in the local gun club pulled the lead ball from his muzzle loader and dumped the black powder load (90grains) in his ash tray and not paying attention lit a cig and flipped an ash in the tray and the black powder exploded and blew two of his fingers off his hand. They where not salvageable, they where Hamburg and gone for ever. I have made black powder and it is not any thing to play with ever unless you know what your doing. A dumb person in Battle Creek Michigan was going to get even with a local drug dealer and put a fuse in a 1 pound pound can of black powder and lit it thinking he would through it in his car and it blew up right now before he got to through it and he was toast on the spot. Black Powder is nothing to mess with unless you are and expert with how to handle it. It is more dangerous than dyno mite
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
There was and explosion yesterday in Seffner Florida caused by reloading ammunition. Is this negligence, a freak accident, or something else? I was wanting to start rolling my own.

Man refilling ammunition triggered blast at Seffner home, fire officials say (fox13news.com)

All of the details haven't been released yet. Has anyone ever heard of this type of mishap?
As a kid in high school, a long time ago, my best friend and I would make our own black powder to shoot our golf ball cannon at his families chicken coop. Put holes in it and the chickens did not lay eggs for a day or two. One day in our lab in the basement of his family home, we had a quart jar of powder with no cover and Rich was smoking a Kool cigarette hanging from his mouth as he grabbed the jar of powder, a spark from his smoke landed in the powder. I was trapped in this little lab, 6ft wide by 12 ft long and one entrance, so I thru myself under the work bench waiting for an explosion. He was scared stiff and held on to the jar as it became this giant sparkler until the glass got so hot, the bottom dropped out with about the remaining 1/3 of powder which became a giant ball of sparkles. Point is: it did not explode as it was not packed with anything. He burned his hand a bit and I nearly crapped my pants. His Mom on the other hand freaked out and the lab closed down. Stupid kids! Man them golf balls could wreak destruction on what they hit, though. How did we get to be adults? Our next adventure was making homebrewed napalm. That was interesting.
 
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Top