1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
38,229 Posts
Whew! We were just talking about making homemade black powder! I have a very hard time believing that smokeless powder did that blast. I wonder if he was smoking or had a space heater going near his work area?

I am not going to stop hand loading and would encourage you to study and begin if you are so inclined. Get re-loading manuals, find a mentor if possible and study videos. The Turret press is the most value in types of presses IMO.

I'm going to move your thread over to the reloading forum to get attention there.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
You'd have to be very sloppy at the reloading bench, to cause much damage.
Primers are the biggest danger, but that can be mitigated with care. Powder just burns, unless it's in a pressure vessel.
I didn't read the article... ETA, Just looked. No, that is a serious fail of some sort. I doubt it was from just reloading.

Anyway, it's a very safe and cost effective way to get ammo.

·
Registered
213 Posts
smokeless powder just burns unconfined (black powder is another matter !) . this is the kind of thing that happens to fireworks hobbyists, and utube bomb makers.
somethings missing from this story ---

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Black powder gives a bomb effect like that, not smokeless. Way back in the early days of my reloading ("refilling" LOL) experience, I had a 1# can of IMR smokeless rifle powder & tried to set it off (like you see in the movies with a narrow trail of powder leading to the can) in the desert with my brothers along to watch. All it did was act like a sparkler & just fizzed until it burned itself out. I was disappointed to say the least.

Reactions: Biomass

·
Registered
280 Posts
Watch out guys who reload, , Next thing will insurance companies will not cover your Hobbies should they find out, and this is just more ammo, (pardon the Pun ) for Big Brother to put an end to Home loaders , and Insurance companies to drop you , beware !!!

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
There is more to this story than is being told. Doesn’t make sense.

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
Some people aren't what I would call careful (or respectful) of the reloading art. When I got into guns in the late 80's, I used a guy that my dad had found to make me 357 magnum ammo for my first gun. I would meet him at the range, and he would give me the rounds and I would pay him. He was always smoking and his truck smelled like cigarettes every time I was near it. I called him once and asked for a couple hundred rounds and he hesitated and said sure, but it will be the last batch he can sell to me. When we met up, he had somebody with him that had driven his truck and he had bandages over his eyes. He only said that he had a reloading accident and had lost the vision in his eyes. He was probably in his 30's.

I imagine he was smoking at the reloading table and something went very wrong. I wish I knew whatever happened to him.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I luv how they call it "refilling" ammo. Being familiar with Seffner, I'd imagine the headline should read, "Florida Man refilling ammo, in Meth Lab."

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Ain't no way that was caused by reloading ammo. That house looks like it was hit by a missile. Looks more like a natural gas explosion.
LMAO!! Ain't that the truth. Pictures of Iraqi buildings after getting hit by air to ground missiles during the Gulf war had less damage than this one. Doesn't pass the smell test. Might be yet another back door attempt by the anti gun left to put the kibosh on guns & ammo.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I too am calling ”hog wash” here, because there is no way smokeless powder in the factory packaging could do this. Even if he had a eight pound jug of Bullseye, it wouldn't flatten a house, it would burn it some, maybe, but not devastation on such a complete scale. That damage is concussion,shock, which is not consistent with smokeless deflagration. Black powder MIGHT do a job like that, but there would be a bit of burn evident.

I've had primer detonation occur in seating (it IS exciting, believe me) but even if it took the whole tray - which never happened - of a hundred off my LEE Loadmaster, it wouldn't be that severe.

Yeah, gas leak, meth-lab, or something like that, possibly. I'll bet the local Fire Marshall's office is giving him a real close looking-over.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Local fire inspectors sometimes jump to conclusions before an in depth study is done. In my years as an electrical contractor, I have seen fire marshals declare building fires caused by electric problems when there was no power on the buildings. My guess is that there was gasoline stored in the garage and a spark from some known or unknown source caused the explosion and resulting fire. Smokeless powder if ignited would act as an accelerant not an explosive. The presence of the reloading apparatus set the stage for the initial impression of the cause. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part.

·
23,272 Posts
Smokeless powder won't do that in any configuration you could call reloading. You have to confine it to get it to react fast enough to propel a bullet. Out in the open, it's a glorified sparkler.

Video

1 - 20 of 47 Posts