Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
You would think CA would be WAY worse, but here it's different in each county.
I got mine just last June, three weeks to the day and that had a holiday in it.
My son-in-law's was twice as long due to the fact that they aren't as computerized as our county.
I went in a couple of weeks ago to add my new Taurus PT745 to my permit, it cost me $3 and I walked out 12 minutes later with my updated CCW.
Why in the world would you have to list the gun you carry on your permit??? My driver's license doesn't list the cars I can drive. OK, I have a motorcycle endorsement that says I also know how to ride a motorcycle, but I still don't have to separately list my KLR. Most places a carry permit says that the holder is competent to carry a firearm.
Unless they actually test your competence with that particular firearm, this is just more Kalifornia bureaucratic idiocy.

Herc, please realize that I'm not criticizing you, just the state legislators. The only stupid thing you're guilty of is living in Kalifornia. :D

Wow yeah how much fun would that be? Only being able to carry what's on your license. Sounds like just another way to make criminals out of good people, (have them slip up and carry something not on their license) "Yay another crazy gun owner that can't carry now"!

Can you list like 20 guns on your license or can it only list one?

At this point I'll give Kansas the benefit of the doubt with their wait times, as we only just got conceal carry legal in 2007. Hopefully they will continue to streamline the processes to a point it isn't so long and tough.

Recently there was a story about a man sitting in downtown Las Cruces (where I live) with a gun in a holster. They called the swat team on him and locked down local schools and businesses for an hour while they detained and questioned him at gunpoint. The original article was taken down but do a search and you'll find some info on it.

Thanks but no thanks.
No worries. Just a suggestion. He wasn't charged or arrested since he was doing nothing wrong. He was illegally detained while ignorant and fearful folks freaked out. :rolleyes:

A quick question though, "Why do you restrict your own Freedom? Is it because you have to fear your police overreacting if you happen to carry a handgun openly to protect yourself?" Because that's where the issue lies, your police don't either know the law or they don't respect it. Read up on New Mexico's carry laws yourself.

And it seems to me the relationship your community has with your local PD is backwards; They should serve and protect you, not control and restrict you. Just a thought.

Have a safe day!

South Carolina is a must issue within 10 days of the application if background check is favorable.
I'll find out before too long how long it takes.

Charlotte, NC here. I got my CCW in 72 days, which is fast from what I hear (can be 90). My gf's son in the next county over got a permit to purchase in 10 minutes while he waited, and I get mine in 4 days (fast again for here) but can take up to 30.

If we want consistent rates from every jurisdiction, we have to allow the federal government to set the rules. If we want the local people to set the rules, we get variances from area to area. If it takes longer in some areas than others to get service, it means they have allotted their revenue according to what the voters and their politicians have decided. It's then up to us to live where we like the services.

Ironmags nailed the KS stuff. Mine was four years ago, but only 50 something days back then. Running around 65-75 days last time someone posted about it.
132.50 for the initial four year permit (plus $15 license fee), but only 25.00 for four year renewals.
I've gotten my out of state lecenses (NH and AZ) much faster. The NH license was only 20.00! I believe it's gone up since then though (got it so I could carry in PA).

Discussion starter · #28 ·
No worries. Just a suggestion. He wasn't charged or arrested since he was doing nothing wrong. He was illegally detained while ignorant and fearful folks freaked out. :rolleyes:

A quick question though, "Why do you restrict your own Freedom? Is it because you have to fear your police overreacting if you happen to carry a handgun openly to protect yourself?" Because that's where the issue lies, your police don't either know the law or they don't respect it. Read up on New Mexico's carry laws yourself.

And it seems to me the relationship your community has with your local PD is backwards; They should serve and protect you, not control and restrict you. Just a thought.

Have a safe day!
While I do agree with you, butting heads with local authority in a futile attempt to change opinions about social doctrines concerning freedom and civil liberties is, quite frankly, a waste of energy and potentially jeopardizing to my studies as a fourth year engineering student. I can do much more good for society and the world as a degree holding engineer then as an incarcerated radical free thinker. I would rather attempt to better society from a position of intellectual power and financial security than by screaming from inside a jail cell.

The nice thing about SC is no permit to buy rifles, shotguns or handguns.
No permit to own same.
No permit to carry on your own property, only needed if you want to carry elswhere.
$50 for 4 years, same for renewal.
Free for disabled Veterans and retired LEOs.

I lived up river in Socorro most of my life and carried open much of the time except in town. This was prohibited until the State pre-emption law was passed years ago. I carried with the revolver on my dashboard while driving and had no problems with the State Police (local cops already knew me). There are many public misconceptions about open carry but it is perfectly legal in NM. Carry open but be discrete and sensitive to new residents who aren't accustomed to firearms out in the open.

It took about 45 days to get my CHL in Texas. Two months sounds about right for NM according to my friend in Alamogordo who is also a CHL Instructor.

I received CCW in 7 days here in MO. They say max of 45 days then its a mandatory issue if background check hasn't came back before then. They reserve the right to revoke if the background comes back bad. Cost $100 for the first 3 years then $50 to renew after that. No permit for long guns or hand guns. Can open carry (no permit required) unless city ordinances prohibit. Castle Law applies even in vehicle.

I'm curios on why they offered an Arizona CCL. Was looking at a CCW reciprocity map and New Mexico doesn't honor Arizona but Arizona honors New Mexico.

I'm curios on why they offered an Arizona CCL. Was looking at a CCW reciprocity map and New Mexico doesn't honor Arizona but Arizona honors New Mexico.
NM, started this a few months ago, unless they had a written agreement with a state they would not reciprocate (however, most of the states they had an agreement and were still honoring the permits (but the warning was put on the sites, just incase). KY was one of the states that did not have it also, and we honor everyones permit.

Why in the world would you have to list the gun you carry on your permit??? My driver's license doesn't list the cars I can drive. OK, I have a motorcycle endorsement that says I also know how to ride a motorcycle, but I still don't have to separately list my KLR. Most places a carry permit says that the holder is competent to carry a firearm.
Unless they actually test your competence with that particular firearm, this is just more Kalifornia bureaucratic idiocy.

Herc, please realize that I'm not criticizing you, just the state legislators. The only stupid thing you're guilty of is living in Kalifornia. :D
The way I understood it when I lived there (and I didn't even bother to try to get my CC there, after living in Alaska...) was that you do indeed qualify with each gun on your permit, but I could be wrong. But then, simply qualifying does not necessarily equate to competence, does it?

The way I understood it when I lived there (and I didn't even bother to try to get my CC there, after living in Alaska...) was that you do indeed qualify with each gun on your permit, but I could be wrong. But then, simply qualifying does not necessarily equate to competence, does it?
Yes in some counties you have to qualify with each handgun. In my county I only had to qualify with the they thought would be most difficult to shoot. We are limited to only three on the permit and the serial numbers have to match.

I don't think it matters what you use in SC, once you qualify its good for any weapon.
Some classes even offer to loan you a gun if you don't have one of your own and even provide a holster.
And sell you the ammo if you don't have any.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.