Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in New Mexico, have for about 4 years now. I recently applied for my conceal carry license. My class gave me the option of applying for an AZ out of state permit as well as a NM resident permit, which I did.

I sent my AZ application in on June 8th. I received my AZ CCL exactly 10 days later, issued and ready to rock. I sent my NM application in on July 20th (They asked for much more paperwork including an ORIGINAL birth certificate, so it took much more time to compile). Today I decided to give them a call since it's been three weeks and I haven't received my NM license yet. The woman on the phone informed me it takes two to three MONTHS for them to process and return a CCW license. :eek::mad:

Explain to me how a state of which I am not a resident is able to process and return an application in literally 1/10th the time and at 60% of the cost (the NM permit costs 100 for 4 years while the AZ costs 60 for 5). I just simply cannot fathom it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wow. That's quite a comparison. I have a cousin who lives in Las Cruces, but I'll doubt he'll be much help. He's a teacher, traditionally not a big gun-toting group.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
. The woman on the phone informed me it takes two to three MONTHS for them to process and return a CCW license. :eek::mad:
Thought Ohio was bad it sometimes takes 45 days here.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Back in 2009-----during the big "Obama will take your guns" scare----- friends here in Texas who applied for a CHL were waiting up to 120 days. The rush was so big it over-whelmed the state offices. (So they said.) A few of the 2A-friendly congress reps (like Joe Driver of Garland) stepped in and pushed hard. The govt streamlined it and now I understand it really is a couple of weeks. I'll be re-newing mine at the end of this year, so I guess I'll see for sure. For sure though, I'm going to apply about 60 days earlier than I need to.

·
Administrator
35,765 Posts
Back in 2009-----during the big "Obama will take your guns" scare----- friends here in Texas who applied for a CHL were waiting up to 120 days. The rush was so big it over-whelmed the state offices. (So they said.) A few of the 2A-friendly congress reps (like Joe Driver of Garland) stepped in and pushed hard. The govt streamlined it and now I understand it really is a couple of weeks. I'll be re-newing mine at the end of this year, so I guess I'll see for sure. For sure though, I'm going to apply about 60 days earlier than I need to.
This is what I was thinking. Maybe in the aftermath of the Giffords shooting, there has been some kind of rush in AZ to get your CHL before the liberals do something stupid. That was a very real sentiment here in Texas, and as Chuck was saying it took 3-6 months in some cases. Mine took about 4 months, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
it varies even by counties here in Iowa. I asked my buddy who's a sheriff in Boone co and he told me it'd take 30 days, I applied in my home county of Osceola and it was ready in 10 minutes. Varies greatly by population, and as Iowa is a much smaller state population wise than most I'm somewhat lucky.
I hope they are overshooting your eta on the permit, but either way it's worth the wait!

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Yeah it varies by state. I got a non resident PA permit in less time than my VA permit. In my area even, it varies. Roanoke county takes it all the way to 45 days, yet in Roanoke City where I live, it was about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Thought Ohio was bad it sometimes takes 45 days here.
Actually the law says that they have to issue or deny within 45 days. What took me the longest was getting the appointment to submit the paperwork - had to wait about two weeks for that. Once the paperwork was in I got the license the following week. I think it depends a lot on the county, as to how far they push the 45 day thing. They're pretty good about it in Warren County.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
In Oklahoma it took 8 weeks. $200 for a 10 year permit.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Florida is taking about 6 weeks right now, unless you do electronic finger printing, then only 2 weeks. In 2009 it was taking 6 months, I beleive state law requires an answer in 6 months max.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
New Mexico has gone for the Democratic candidate in 4 of the 5 last presidential races. Does that tell you anything?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am told our last New Mexico State Police Chief did not like the idea of having to give out CCW permits and did nothing to help streamline the process. (No one could accuse him of being liberal, by the way.) But nothing has improved since our new Republican governor, who has a license and claims to carry on occassion, was elected. My last renewal took a rediculous amount of time to get (two plus months? I don't remember exactly) I don't believe it is possible to to apply in the appropriate time allowed before it expires, and not have a several week period without a license. Bill Richardson also had a CCW by the way, and the law came about during his watch.

·
Registered
28,367 Posts
Basically I think the problem is your misapprehension that the government is there to help you.

Bwahahaha!
Remember... “A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.” -- Edward Abbey

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Kansas is no sooner than 45 days and no longer than 90 days. Mine took 63 days from me handing over to the Sheriff Office to receiving acceptance in the mail. At that point you still have to take that letter to the drivers license place with another fee for a picture and the actual license (it looks just like our driver's licenses), but you walk out with a little temporary reciept and receive your final license in the mail within a couple more weeks.

I have everything I need for the Arizona license also, have even gotten more prints done and everything ready to send, just haven't sent it in yet. I sent AZ an email on their site and had the info packet two days later. They seem to have their shite together for sure!

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. Thank God i live in the wonderful Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I filled out my application online and emailed the form and a scan of my drivers licence to the county sheriffs department. In 8 days i was catching the subway home with my new CCW in my pocket. It amazes me how long some states take to authorize law abiding citizens to conceal carry, but they're always fast in cashing the check to pay for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Recently there was a story about a man sitting in downtown Las Cruces (where I live) with a gun in a holster. They called the swat team on him and locked down local schools and businesses for an hour while they detained and questioned him at gunpoint. The original article was taken down but do a search and you'll find some info on it.

Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You would think CA would be WAY worse, but here it's different in each county.
I got mine just last June, three weeks to the day and that had a holiday in it.
My son-in-law's was twice as long due to the fact that they aren't as computerized as our county.
I went in a couple of weeks ago to add my new Taurus PT745 to my permit, it cost me $3 and I walked out 12 minutes later with my updated CCW.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts