Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys to decided to try several rounds of Blue Dot, Clays (Hogdon) and HP-38 today. I hooked them all behind a 158 gr. lead bullet and took notes to see what I liked the most. I think I liked the Blue Dot the best so I made 50 more rounds of 10.1grns. I liked the HP-38 almost as much, but the Blue Dot seems to flow better through my Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Clays was okay, and probably good for practice.

The round was seated well above the Min OAL and I kept it just below the max load. Oh, and a CCI mag primer. Does anyone have any experience with this load? Just hoping someone has some thoughts.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I know Blue Dot is a good powder. Double check the loads against your Reloading Manual to make sure thr load is safe and check your OAL in the revolver to make sure it is short enough to clear the end of the cylinder.

Reactions: likesbigbullets

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I only have one manual and it is a Lee 2nd Ed. I'm working right under it's max load. I measured my cylinder and I can go up to 1.633 to be flush with the cylinder, but I'm keeping it at 1.608 to prevent misfire from bullet crimp jump. 1.580 is the Min OAL. Sounds like a good load to you guys? I'll see what it will do in a water test next weekend. I'm off to the hardware store to build a workbench for my newly beloved reloading hobby. Thanks guys;)

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
a blue dot load for a lead projectile??
where did you find that loading ??
so you aren't getting any barrel leading at those velocities?
I don't find this load anywhere in my data but would assume that it would be pushing 1300 FPS?
the Clays and Hp should be in the 1050-1150 fps?
Just curious, never used blue dot, H-110, win 296 for any lead loadings.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found it in the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Ed. Yes, I did have some leading. I spent some time cleaning it out! no problems though. I enjoyed the rounds I made.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
If the base of the bullet has the little step on it you can avoid the leading by using gas checks. I use them on the 158gr swc I cast in a LEE die.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly is a "gas check"? and how do they help? I've been saving up lead because I want to cast my own bullets at some point too.

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
I found it in the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Ed. Yes, I did have some leading. I spent some time cleaning it out! no problems though. I enjoyed the rounds I made.
HMMM???
you must have a different Lee's #2 than I do?
mine has no listing in Blue Dot, it does list True Blue--This MAY? be the same powder, i don't know as i don't load Blue Dot anymore.
but with a max load of 9.8 and at 1302 FPS.
But anyway if you are happy with the results and leading and don't mind cleaning it out thats what matters.
was just curious about a lead load using Blue dot.

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
HMM?
Nope just looked it up!
True Blue and Blue Dot are not the same, on the burn rate R True Blue is ranked #14, just a tad behind Accurate #5 , and Blue Dot is ranked #20, just behind Accurate #7.
so still don't have a loading data in My Lee's #2.
FYI.

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
Page 557. 4th load down under 158gr Lead Bullet
NO SIR!
as mentioned you must have a different Lee Second edition than I.
you do realize that there are revisions made from time to time in reloading manuals?
Mine is I think th last revised edition of the lee manual.--about 2011 I think it is?
It really doesn't matter as long as you got it from a recognized source.
I was just curious about the Blue Dot load and a lead projectile.
some of the casting guys can liklely help you with harder cast projectiles that may eliminate the leading problem, thats out of my scope of discussion.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
YES SIR! Dude. I'm not trying to be rude. But you seem like a bit of a Nazi about my load... what gives?
No need to be insulting. Reloading can be a fun, safe experience, but also you can loose fingers, eyes and in some rare cases, your life. Olfarhors is trying to keep you safe. Prolly wants to help a new reloader, to advance our hobby, and even mebbe to keep you from making our hobby look bad? What if you blew up your gun while at a crowded range. And supposing some bystander was injured? Public opinion from that happening would be negative to say the least ("Ban those stupid reloaders!"). Some ranges won't allow reloads for this reason too. Listen to the voice of experience. From your questions you seem to be a rookie at reloading and it'll hurt nothing for you to take a little well intended advice...;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
All Olfarhors is saying is that your Blue Dot load is not where you said it was in his version of Lee 2nd edition and that in his experience, Blue Dot is a slower burning powder than those that are usually used for lead bullets. In my manuals, I don't find any Blue dot loads for 158 grain lead either. AA 5 is as slow as most of them go.
Just trying to keep you safe - as Olfarhors said, if you have a published source, you are probably OK. I don't load Blue Dot, so I have no first hand experience.

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
I just recently learned that there were minor changes to the load data in the Lee 2nd edition manual. Look inside the 1st few pages and you will see a print date. Load data varies by print date, not sure why, but I have confirmed this myself. When ever I see load data listed in forums that peak my interest I always start checking them to different sources, if I can't verify the data, as a courtesy I will bring it up to the OP. Like others said if you find it in a reliable source work it up and if you don't see negative pressure signs you should be good to go.

Personally I try to find 3 similar sources before I start working up a new load. Some times I have to settle on 2.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think mine was from 2007... cant remember. I'd go check it out but I'm on crutches and pain meds right now. I hit a dog while riding my motorcycle on the highway 2 days ago. Thanks guys ;)

·
Registered
751 Posts
NO SIR!
as mentioned you must have a different Lee Second edition than I.
you do realize that there are revisions made from time to time in reloading manuals?
Wow, why are you yelling at this poor guy? The rest just comes off condescending.

To the OP, Sorry to add to the drama. I've been reading a lot of reloading threads lately as I'm sure I will be starting soon myself. Just ordered the ABCs of reloading. Been picking up brass and ordered bullets tonight. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Everything is helpfully with so many options.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bps1. Thanks. It has been a lot of fun. I like to tinker and I'm a bit OCD, so this is a good hobby that I can do indoors. Have you found any good sources on brass?

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
YES SIR! Dude. I'm not trying to be rude. But you seem like a bit of a Nazi about my load... what gives?
WOW!!
On a scale of 1-10 are you about a 12 on the sensitivity meter?
The only reason that High lighted the text was because i mentioned 2-3 times that i did not have that load in my second edition.
as for a Nazi, while German I am not a member of the party and the only reason that i entered into this discusssion was I saw a possible problem load using a lead projectile.
I will gracefully bow out and leave you to your own journey at this point.
good luck and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts