Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is $74.95 expensive for 20rds of .45 ACP Incendiary Tracer Ammo? (This ammo is a traditional blue and red tip incendiary tracer ammo that will trace bright red to the target and then explode with a bright flash and sparks upon impact. It is visible day or night. It will burn at 3000 degrees when it hits a hard target. This is some extremely fun ammo to shoot and has a devastating impact.)

Or I could get 20rds of .45 ACP Starburst Incendiary Ammo for $49.95. (This ammo is a yellow tip Incendiary ammo that will explode with a bright white flash and emit a shower of titanium sparks upon impact. This ammo will burn a little hotter and give you more sparks and fragments, than regular incendiary ammo, due to the added Sponge Titanium in the Incendiary mixture in this ammo. It is visible day or night upon impact. It will burn at 4000 degrees when it hits a hard target. This is some extremely fun ammo to shoot and has a devastating impact. )

Then there is 20rds of .45 ACP Green Tracer Ammo for $39.95. I know, it's not incendiary, but cool none the less.(This tracer is a traditional Soviet green tip tracer and will start to trace bright green right out of the barrel and will continue to trace for 400 yards. It has a very bright green trace and can be seen day or night. This tracer is made to true Soviet military tracer specifications. It is completely safe to shoot in your weapon.)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Ok here's a question, why do you need that ammo in. 45 ACP? I mean, it's one thing to ask about hollow points. But now you're getting into an exotic round type that your average gun owner would even bother to stock. I can understand if you wanted to just have fun with something every once in a while, but IMO common sense of safe practice would lead me to go with the green Soviet spec tracers at the price per round alone. When do you really need something to burn at 3000 degrees?

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
Ok here's a question, When do you really need something to burn at 3000 degrees?
Damn if i know but I guess when something has an ignition temperature of 2999 degrees?
beats me what you would do with this stuff personally, well except get yourself in a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Many states have laws regulating or completely banning Incendiary and tracer ammo. Getting caught with it or causing a wild fire with it could really ruin your day Big Time!!!!:(:(

·
Administrator
40,172 Posts
My local outdoor range won't allow the stuff to be used. It's caused fires several times in the past, and the owner has banned it's use. I wouldn't use it in my private free places either, as the same conditions exist.
Is it expensive? I'd say so, compared to the cost of my reloads. I can shoot a lot more of them for $74.95, than I could the pyrotechnic stuff.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Free public ranges (USDA Forest Service, National Parks) ban tracer and incendiary rounds, and all the private ranges I have researched.
Where the heck would you shoot it?

·
Administrator
35,532 Posts
My local outdoor range won't allow the stuff to be used. It's caused fires several times in the past, and the owner has banned it's use. I wouldn't use it in my private free places either, as the same conditions exist.
Is it expensive? I'd say so, compared to the cost of my reloads. I can shoot a lot more of them for $74.95, than I could the pyrotechnic stuff.
My range won't allow it either. I'd have to find someplace privately owned, and even then the owner might not be crazy about it. I'm not sure what his ammo would be used for anyway.

Also, I would be afraid that when I bought it, a big red flag would be auto-sent to the BATF. But that's just me.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
I'm sure it has it's place. Like maybe on the 4th of July, in a county that doesn't allow fireworks to be fired. Or on Mythbusters for some new stupid myth busting, like can you cause an explosion of a diesel tank by firing a gun at it.
Other than that I will save my money and purchase plan ole regular every day ammo at the best price I can locate......and maybe a few dozen bottle rockets.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have shot some .308 tracers but not any in a handgun and have not bought any in a while, so I have no idea about price.

It is not illegal in most states but most ranges will not allow it, luckily I almost never have to go to a actual range to shoot. It can start a fire so you have to be careful were and when you shoot it but it can be a blast. It's neat to see your rounds travel downrange, especially at very long ranges. My favorite is to put a couple tablespoons of gasoline in a old coffee can and shoot with a tracer, makes a nice explosion. A 55 gallon drum with a cup or 2 of gas will really explode, need to be at least a 200yards away though!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Free public ranges (USDA Forest Service, National Parks) ban tracer and incendiary rounds, and all the private ranges I have researched.
Where the heck would you shoot it?
I own 120 acres of land that I use for offroading in my Jeep, I would shoot it there.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
Well I think we might have just identified half the staff that works at RED JACKET ARSENAL (Sons of GUNS), they seem to be into a lot of this blowing stuff up with exploading ammo and such!-LOL

·
Super Moderator
27,060 Posts
Tell you what. Send me the money, and I will send you a video of it and save you the problems with LE!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts