Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun in question a fullsize 9mm 1911 with a non ramped barrel. Anyone have first hand knowledge of any expanding type ammo that will cycle reliably with this setup. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
IIRC, A non-ramped barrel should feed FMJ ammo.
I don't think it is going to feed HP/Expanding ammo very reliable if at all to be honest.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Your chances of reliably feeding expandible ammo is as good as your chances of reliably feeding JHP regardless if your barrel if ramped or not, with anything other than hardball you will have to test your pistol for reliability, and if found that it will not feed JHP reliably some tweeking is in order (magazine).

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Gun in question a fullsize 9mm 1911 with a non ramped barrel. Anyone have first hand knowledge of any expanding type ammo that will cycle reliably with this setup. Thanks
OK?? are you speaking of an amunition with a projectile that will mushrooom/expand ?
I think thats what you are asking?
It really makes no difference as the mushrooming/expansion takes place when it hits a soft object.
so you are faced with finding a self defense round that has a profile that your particular weapon will function with.
Most will, but you should check all ammo that you plan on carrying in the weapon for function.
Ramped barrels in 1911's are not the norm and people have been using self defense ammo in them for a long time!
actually the only ramped barrel 1911 that i own is a 10MM, and all mine will eat self defense ammo like candy.
Pick out the ammo that you like and give it a try in YOUR weapon.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on the $$ OLFARHORS IDEALY HOLLOWPOINT AMMO BUT IN THE MOST ROUND NOSE LOOKING BULLET TIP FOR EASY JAM FREE CYCLING SO FAR THE CLOSEST THAT IVE SEEN WAS HORNADYS CRITICAL DEFENSE / ZOMBIE SLAYER . THEY HAVE EXELLENT ROUND NOSE PROFILE AND EXPAND SOMETHING FIERCE. HOWEVER IVE ONLY USED THEM IN MY PT845 WICH HAS A SUPER FACTORY MIRROR LIKE POLISHED RAMP SO I CANT REALLY GAUGE PERFORMANCE BY THAT GUN. I WAS HOPING SOMEONE COULD RECOMEND A AMMO OF THIS TYPE THAT THEY USE ON A REGULAR EVEN IF IT MENT MINOR MODING. IM NEW TO 1911S SO ITS INCONCEIVEABLE TO ME THAT WITH SO MANY IN USE NO ONE HAS MADE AMMO FOR THIS NON RAMPED APPLICATION. OR PUT ANOTHER WAY UNLESS YOU GOT BIG $$ AND BUY YOUR 1911 WITH A FEEDRAMP BARREL NOBODY SHOOTS HOLLOWPOINT AMMO OUT THEIR 1911 45./9MM OR OTHERWISE. I GUESS ILL KEEP SEARCHING.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
No thats not the case at all!
I have 1911's in 38 Super, 45 ACP and 10MM and they all handle a vast array of different hollow point ammunitions just as well as the FMJ's.
But while we can tell you what works in OUR pistolas, we can not tell you for 100% sure what will work in YOUR pistola!
I will say that a large majority of self defense ammo will usually work in the Taurus 1911, actually in most any modern 1911 regardless of manufacture.
but there may be that one brand/style that does not work.
I generaly start out trying Federla Classic as it has about the largest hollow point that i know of right now, but it is an older round so i don't carry it.
but mine run on Gold Dots, Golden Sabre, Hornady, PMC, Federal, and a few more.I
generally I carry a 200 grain self defense round but my particular 1911's run fine on 175-185-200- and 230 grain ammo.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
another one that i loaded myself is 185 gr. magtech, it is as round as ball ammo. it is the roundest hp i have found yet, personally i like the hornady xtp 200 gr. jhp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts