Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Spectrum yesterday for my local gun shop and it is bulging the primers excessively and I have gotten light strikes of at least one every magazine or two.

I have tried several different types of ammunition with the same results.

Curious if anyone else could get a decent photo of their firing pin hole to see if it's similar to mine I will attach a photo below.

Attachments

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
No, mine does not look anything like that.............
Did you inspect the firearm before paying for it?..............

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don’t recall ever seeing a chamfer on a firing pin hole. I cannot imagine what purposemone would serve. The pin I’d guided into the channel and it exits based upon that predetermined path. What purpose would a chamfer serve? Anyone got an idea? I think the OP’s gun is one that’s got passed QC check.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Even worse, there doesn't appear to be any bluing/black oxide on the chamfer. So I suspect it was an attempted fix for piercing primers. The only real fix, now, is a new slide.

Maloy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine looks EXACTLY like that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have not had any issues with either light strikes or bulging primers with my Spectrum, so I took mine apart last evening and snapped a picture of the breech face. My handgun does not appear to exhibit the excessive "chamfer" that the original poster noted. My two cents, as always.

spectrumbreechface.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. MARTENSITE was yours bulging the primers back out into this chamfered area like mine?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
In a blow back action, you have to have a little chamfer. If you have a burr or sharp edge on the face, it can cause the primer to be pierced. Putting a light chamfer around the firing pin hole/striker reduces this. In the image jlewis39 posted is right about the most you want. So there needs to be a chamfer, just not much of one.

Maloy

·
Registered
30 Posts
The chamfer on mine looks very much like the picture that Jlesis39 posted. Upon firing I do not see any type of bulging or excessive looking on the primers. All have reasonable strikes and pockets showing on the empty cases. The chamfering must be being done on all the pistols being made. Mine so far has been very dependable, no misfires, no jams or any related problems. Only issue is the trigger reset, very long and easy to not let trigger out enough to reset. Thats my only complaint at this time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the replies. MARTENSITE was yours bulging the primers back out into this chamfered area like mine?
Yes, the primers bulge back into the chamfered area just like yours.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I suggest contacting Taurus and sending it back before the free shipping offer expires.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it is getting shipped back tomorrow. My local dealer where I bought it offered to take care of doing it for me so I will let him. He may have a better chance at getting quicker results than a private party like myself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes it is getting shipped back tomorrow. My local dealer where I bought it offered to take care of doing it for me so I will let him. He may have a better chance at getting quicker results than a private party like myself.
I don't personally think he will have any better luck than you would have in expediting the gun back to Taurus. It's a "get in line" type of thing as far as repairs with Taurus.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I don't personally think he will have any better luck than you would have in expediting the gun back to Taurus. It's a "get in line" type of thing as far as repairs with Taurus.
yep! he is likely just another small fish in the pond, I am sure IF he is a local merchant that he likely buys his weapons from a wholesaler, that buys large amount of weapons from taurus. course letting him handle the return saves you hassle and money, especially shipping and return fees.
when I was in the gun business I can't think of a single manufacture that you could order a gun from that didn't have at least a 10,000 dollar minimum order, most were more and that was years and years ago.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If any of you are still following this I received the pistol back yesterday after 12 weeks and it is exactly the same as the day I shipped it... The note they included with the return says no problems found... It states they fired 12 rounds of Speer ammunition through it with no function issues... When I shipped it I included a small bag of fired cases clearly showing the bulged out primers and they sent them back along with the gun so obviously they saw them... During the process I even talked to someone on the phone and another time by the online chat (which by the way gets you a lot quicker contact than sitting on hold for a half an hour)... I did this to reiterate the issue I was having just to make sure it would be addressed and they still did nothing in the end... At this point I will just shoot it because there really were no issues with function, I just did not like the bulged out primers, but oh well.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts