Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says:
CAUTION:
Never engage the Taurus Security System on your Taurus Pistol with the slide in the
open (rearward) position or with the barrel tipped up/open. This will result in
permanent damage to your firearm.
So what exactly happens if the lock is engaged with the slide open? What exactly will be damaged?

What happens when the lock is engaged with the barrel tipped up? What will be damaged?

What happens if I remove the slide from the gun, and then snap the barrel closed? Will engaging the lock at that point cause damage?

What happens if I engage the lock with the barrel tipped up *and* the slide removed?

What happens if I try to flip open the barrel while the lock is engaged?

What happens if I try to rack the slide while the lock is engaged?

What happens if I try to remove or insert a maganize while the lock is engaged?

What happens if I turn off the thumb safety and pull the trigger with the lock engaged?

Can I engage the lock with a round in the chamber?

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I'll take each question one at a time, even though some of them are duplicate questions with duplicated answers.

So what exactly happens if the lock is engaged with the slide open? What exactly will be damaged?
You will damage the TSS system because it locks the firing pin and slide when engaged.

What happens when the lock is engaged with the barrel tipped up? What will be damaged?
Nothing at all, the TSS doesn't lock the barrel.

What happens if I remove the slide from the gun, and then snap the barrel closed? Will engaging the lock at that point cause damage?
No, but you can't reinstall the slide until you disengage the TSS.

What happens if I engage the lock with the barrel tipped up *and* the slide removed?
The TSS will engage but you can't reinstall the slide.

What happens if I try to flip open the barrel while the lock is engaged?
Nothing happens, the barrel tips up as normal.

What happens if I try to rack the slide while the lock is engaged?
You can't, or I should say you shouldn't. The TSS locks the firing pin, and you risk damaging the pin and the TSS system by trying.

What happens if I try to remove or insert a maganize while the lock is engaged?
Nothing at all.

What happens if I turn off the thumb safety and pull the trigger with the lock engaged?
The thumb safety will disengage, but the trigger cannot be fully pulled without damaging the trigger bar.

Can I engage the lock with a round in the chamber?
Yes you can.

Reactions: 9th and AZM66

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was hesitant to just try stuff with the whole "permenant damage" thing.

It would be nice if the manual was more informative about how the locking system works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts