Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic is talked about alot and I just want to see peoples ideas and maybe learn a few tricks. First a little background Im 24 6'4" and about 280lbs to give you a size reference. My everyday carry is consisted of my Taurus 840 in a Blackhawk universal size 6 iwb along with my NAA 22mag with folding grip with pocket clip, and my Kershaw 10820R and a Surefire knockoff flashlight. I live in Portsmouth Va so I carry concealed and I am in the interview process for joining a sheriifs department in another local city so i would like to get familiar with the duty weapons and gear i would be supplied, in other words my edc rig will change soon to replicate that(meaning i will buy a Glock:().

:cool:Ok now to the point of this thread i would like to know what you carry, when you carry and why you chose your rig.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I carried a pt111 in a Theis IWB for about 5 months, then decided to go with a g19. It hasn't proven itself reliable yet, but when I do carry it, it will be in a Stealth Hideous Holster, which is a kydex OWB.

Right now I carry a pt1911 in a galco summer comfort IWB, it's heavy, but with a good stiff belt it works for me.

I have a friend who's your size, call him "big daddy" he wears his .40 24/7 OSS in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Right now, I'm carrying my Bersa Thunder 380 in a White Hat Holsters Maxtuck holster. It is very comfortable and secure. DSCF1635.JPG

I'm 6' tall and ~260#. My bug is a Taurus PT22, in a Bulldog pocket holster, in my right pocket.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Right now a S&W 686 .357 inside the waistband in a Simply Rugged holster. Have a pouch on my belt with 7 spare cartridges. Have a folding knife in my pocket -- no back-up on me.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
If you're hired by a local Sheriff's Department, you're off duty carry will be determined by their SOP.

Some agencies mandate that you carry your department issued firearm, others like mine have an open policy for off duty carry.

If they have a liberal policy, then as an LEO I suggest you carry the 9mm/.38 (or above caliber) gun your shoot the best.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
EDC rig consists of a PT740 Slim (primary weapon) carried in an OWB Blackhawk belt holster, with a S&W Bodyguard .380 pistol (secondary weapon) carried in my hip pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

When I carry: every time I leave the confines of my home.

Why I carry: for the defense of myself and my wife, and great-grandson who resides with us.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've carried many different firearms over the years, mostly revolvers. A friend has been a big Glock fanboy for years and finally convinced me to buy one. That's all it took. I now carry a Gen 3 G19 IWB in a Don Hume PCCH with 2 spare mags in a Hume belt pouch.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Ruger SR9c in a Thies holster with one spare mag in a pocket mag holder also made by Thies. I also have a TCP that I carry as a backup sometimes and more often as a primary in the summer months.

·
10,379 Posts
It felt like I was carrying a 2x4 on my side the first few times I used it.
LoL no doubt. I carry a PT1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, took a while to get used to it, now it's no problem, carry it all day and notice it just enough to remind me that I'm carrying it. Feels unnatural not to have that pressure on my hip.

Only complaint so far I have about the CBST...it needs more leather...dang slide serrations and the beavertail tang HURT when they decide to hone themselves on your body.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I've carried a number of guns through the years but now a RIA/Armscor 1911 compact in a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster. I carry two extra magazines also in a on the belt Uncle Mikes magazine pouch.

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
I carry a 24/7 OSS in .45 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC and 2 spare mags in a Safariland mag pouch on an Aker B-21 belt. The belt is the secret to comfort.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I carry a PT140 MilPro in an El Paso Saddlery IWB Summer Cruiser. I also switch out to the SR40c in the same holster. I carry all the time wherever I am allowed to by law. Always remember: C.A.N.T. -- Carry Always, Never Tell.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I carry a PT709 in a fanny pack most of the time because I have gotten so fat since I quit smoking I can't find a more comfortable way!

·
Registered
236 Posts
During week days, its my PT145 or sometimes my PF9 in a CBST at 3:30 (with slightly modified J-hooks so I am completely concealed for my office environment), P32 in weakside rear pocket, pocket knife cliped in strongside front pocket, and a small flash light in weak side front pocket. Evenings and weekends when I have no fear of being made my OSS45 or PT92 gets the primary call.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok soon my carry rig will change, i came across a used Rock Island Armory(Armscor) GI 1911. It was on consignment at a local shop for $325, it comes with a cheapo holster, 2 extra mags, and over 500 rounds of hp and fmj. I couldnt pass up on it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts