Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at the range I had a very interesting, yet disturbing thing happen that Ive never seen before. I attached a couple pics below, but even with that it didnt cause a jam or anything like that. So Im thinkin a flaw/crack in the case but its just weird and this was a Federal Champion 9mm round.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
well i have seen this on a reloading press but never out of a gun!-LOL
theres no way that round went into the chamber in that shape so it had to occur on extraction/ejection!
If everything else and other cases were fine then i would chalk it up to "Gremlins"
Looks like one side of the case is smudged with powder burn? is the case cracked in that area?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've had split cases on firing, but what the heck happened to the mouth??? Did it get slammed in the slide????

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was like the 5th 0r 6th round out of the mag, my buddy watched it draop and stopped my to show my the case. The primer does look like the GWK posted. I dont get it at or understand at all. Not to get any free ammo but I will be contacting Federal more or less as a heads up.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Yeah, don't expect any free ammo. I didn't get any.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im good on ammo, I still have a few thousand rounds and placing a pallet order of .223 soon.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ive seen that before...dont remember what pistol though it only happened once.

·
Administrator
39,384 Posts
I've seen a lot of cases damaged on ejection. Some not exactly like that, but more severely damaged. Picking up brass at the range, I often throw away a lot of damaged pieces others have left. I wouldn't consider it a problem, unless this occurs often.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Only way that could have happened to a case is being caught by the slide returning to battery. I'd look at the ejector and the extractor claw to make sure they are doing what they are susposed to do if it continued to happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts