Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in one of the local gun shops the other day inquiring about his FFL transfer procedure. When I bug these guys, I always spend a few dollars.
I bought a box of Israel Military Industies (I.M.I.) .38 Special "Eco-Ammo". They are 100 grain, fangibles. I am familiar with the theory of the frangible loads.
When I got home, I looked them up on the net. These are rated at 1000 fps,(that's cookin' for a 38) and the projectile is designed to turn into powder if it hits something harder than tissue. These seem to be a good idea for home defense, seeing as they aren't suposed to go through walls and injure a non-threat.
Any feedback?
P.S. Here's the site: http://www.a-merc.com/

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
American Ammunition isn't a company that I've heard good things about. Any good things. I'd avoid it just on this alone. People may swear by or against Wolf ammo but you do hear both ways. The main thing I've heard is poor quality control. And since they sell some/all of their ammo in plastic blister packs who are they trying to sell to?

I did wander around their site a little to be sure it was the company I thought it was. Yeap, as they're the ones who got the rights to the Qwik-Shok bullet design (which was a good design). I would use AA ammo (even with the QS bullet) only as a last resort. I'd seriously think about FMJ (from another company) as I know it'll be reliable.

Frangibles like this are usually more range ammo for places that don't have the greatest back-stop.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Frangible were designed to be training ammo nothing more. they wre meant for CQB training so those "high speed" oporators can engage their metal target without fear of a richochet. I only recently heard of the being used by the sky marshalls but those rounds are of a specific design, and I think they are different than a typical frangible.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, Thanks for the quick feedback. Hmmm, no good, unreliable, huh? I guess they go into the range-bag for my next practice session.
I'm glad they weren't too expensive.
These guys are very patient, so, I just had to buy something. He specializes in military surplus items. He has a lot of old European rifles, a few Com-block pistols (Tokarev, Makarov, etc). Mostly a lot of clothing, and other accessories as in uniforms, hats, bandoleers, etc.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Drummin, I would listen to these guys I would believe I would trust them more than the "Bullets" if it came down to the have to shoot time.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Follow-Up

Well once again I got good advice on this forum.
I went to the range today to shoot up these "frangible" bullets. Out of the first thirty rounds, two required a second strike. I'm glad that the target was just sitting there and not trying to hurt me. lol.
I'll save the last 20 rounds for next time. All other rounds were fine. (24 S&B 148 RNL, and 12 Fed Hydra-shock +P). All revolver rounds were .38 special.
Oh and I broke 500 rounds (100 today) with the PT 92, also. Works great! :D

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a follow-up to my follow-up.
I went to the range Tuesday, and shot the rest of that box of I.A.I. "Eco-Ammo", (20 rounds). I had two more rounds that needed a second strike. That's a total of four out of fifty. Needless to say I won't be buying it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts