Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few "deals" left. Found a Raging Bull 454 with the looooong barrel with a
scope mount on it for $600. Yeah, it's used, but lightly used. Couple scratches on the
barrel, but it's overall nice.

Picture you say? Ok.

Now... where is the "cheap ammo" for this bad boy???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
$600 is a doggone good deal! And even better with the scope mount because those things are as rare as a chicken tooth. My last ammo buy at a gunshow was right after Thanksgiving and I bought 200 rounds of .454 for .50 cents each and 200 rounds of .45LC for .40 cents each, all reloads. All of that is now 3X the price. Check ammoseek dot com and maybe you might be able to find ya some.

I will tell ya this, after ya shoot some .454's, those .45LC's will feel like 9mm's. Good luck John! Oh, one more thing, once ya find your sweet spot on these hand cannons, they are very very accurate too.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nice gun congrats. Now you honestly don't think that it is cheap to shoot do you. Reloading yourself will save a bunch. I think I'm averaging right around $0.50-$0.55 a round, haven't really crunched the numbers yet but I think that number is close. That's a 300gr XTP.

Other than that there is some at SGA 454 Casull | SGAmmo.com or you might try Ammo Seek --- .454 Casull handgun ammo ammunition - AmmoSeek.com

Oh yea when you do find ammo get a bunch cause shooting it is VERY ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Possession is half the pleasure. Freedom to fire it is the other half. Good Luck at the range, have fun.
Bill W.

Reactions: john_bud

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice gun congrats. Now you honestly don't think that it is cheap to shoot do you. Reloading yourself will save a bunch. I think I'm averaging right around $0.50-$0.55 a round, haven't really crunched the numbers yet but I think that number is close. That's a 300gr XTP.

Other than that there is some at SGA 454 Casull | SGAmmo.com or you might try Ammo Seek --- .454 Casull handgun ammo ammunition - AmmoSeek.com

Oh yea when you do find ammo get a bunch cause shooting it is VERY ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!!:cool:
I snagged the last box of 200 off of sg ammo. I REALLY like those people. Always have given me great service and have fair prices. Thanks for the post.
Also found a guy with 120 once fired brass in the boxes for 35 bucks (delivered). "deals" are there, but like chicken teeth, they are hard to spot!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I snagged the last box of 200 off of sg ammo. I REALLY like those people. Always have given me great service and have fair prices. Thanks for the post.
Also found a guy with 120 once fired brass in the boxes for 35 bucks (delivered). "deals" are there, but like chicken teeth, they are hard to spot!

You got that right. I bought a case of 45ACP from SGA before this craziness, great service and price. I just haven't been able to time anything right with them lately. The 454 they had was a great price. I got 100 rounds from a local company probably landed up paying the same if I added shipping if I had gotten it from SGA. I have been able to get my hands on 100 Starline new brass and 150 new remington 45LC brass.

I've been lucky and have been able to get 45ACP and 9mm --- 1000 rounds each out of Ammunition Online at Factory Direct Prices | Freedom Munitions | Handgun Ammo & Rifle Ammo--got lucky and hit it just right. Guesss I found the chicken teeth that day.

These are the local guys I get mine from Thunder .454 Casull 300 gn XTP-HP * PER 20 Rounds It has been really good ammo and these guys are just a bit down the road from me.

Great price you got on the brass--I just saw 50 once fired go for $23.00.

Enjoy the Bull --- Gonna stretch the legs on mine next weekend.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Bull! And ammoseek is indeed a great site, I purchased 260 rounds of 400 gr. Hornady XTPs for my .480 Bull via them on manventureoutpost.com .

·
Super Moderator
42,000 Posts
Very nice acquisition, congratulations!

(Now you can probably pay off a Lee Turret press setup in a matter or weeks by "rolling your own".)

·
Super Moderator
22,854 Posts
I find hunting with a Mack Truck a little easier then having my arm tore of by those monster's :)

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I find hunting with a Mack Truck a little easier then having my arm tore of by those monster's :)
Maybe, but with the price of diesel it's cheaper to shoot the 454! And i hear the demoncarps are wanting to limit the "high capacity" fuel tanks from 50 down to 7 gallons!;-)
Very nice acquisition, congratulations!

(Now you can probably pay off a Lee Turret press setup in a matter or weeks by "rolling your own".)
Thanks , but a buddy with a press has volunteered to "recycle" my empties for me if i buy the die. Yeah, it IS nice to have friends like that!

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You have to be prepared to "Pounce like a Puma"....

So, I'm looking for reload dies and decide to check on gun(nearly always way too high priced)broker.com to see what they have and I find a guy selling.....

Sale includes the following items for a 454 Casull:
200 - New Starline nickel plated unprimed brass from Midway.
93 - Once fired, carefully loaded, nickel plated starline brass reloads - 10.0 gr Unique with 300 gr. Missouri bullet, cast silhouette bullets.
66 - Once fired Starline brass reloads, same specs as above.
34 - Once fired Starline brass
Set of 454 Lee carbide reloading dies - Used to reload 300 rounds only with 4 hole lee turret. Dies are in exc. condition.
Reloads are loaded light for target. Ships UPS ground 35.00.
So that's 200 new brass -- a value of $80-100-ish, 193 reloaded rounds --- a value of $100-200 and a carbide die set - a value of $70ish.
Total value $250 on the low side to $375 on the reasonable side (easy to find stuff listed at whacked out prices, so lets ignore the whackos!)

I'm a little dubious about using anyone else's reloads, but worst case the components are ok. I can always take one apart randomly and verify the build. From what I can tell researching on the interweb, that recipe does look like a light load, so who knows -- it may be just ducky!

There was one bid at $75 and a Buy It Now at $150. Yeah, I had to replace the "enter" key because I hit it so fast it melted ;)
Total cost to my door--- $185. I don't think that's too shabby, but I may be mistaken.

On edit... You know what is amazing to me? I checked the actual prices on new brass from midwayusa and you can get in stock 100 new brass for 35-45 bucks. Yet on Gunbroker there are people bidding $85 for 100. :eek:Are they missing something or what?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.