Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Essex Arms manufactures after market slides and receivers for the 1911. Has anyone ever thought about gathering the after market parts needed for a fire arm and put them together or have a gun smith assemble them for you? I think it would be pretty cool to get all the exact parts you wanted yourself and have a true custom pistol, I am just not sure if it would also be a true POS as well.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
1911's are afinicky lot and if you don't know what you are doing you could just have and excellent single shot pistol. There are some custom smiths out there that are truly artisans and they ask an artisan price for their work. If you want a great 1911 with all the trimmings and money is no object I'd recomend it. If you're like me a cheap sunofagun you would do well with a kimber, or a taurus, and save time and cash.

·
Administrator
17,927 Posts
Essex makes good stuff and if you're going to build your own, always try to get the Slide and Reciever from the same maker!

I did consider building a 1911 once upon a time, but by the time I priced out all the needed/wanted parts, I had more $$ in the gun, than it was to just buy one. That proved especially true when Taurus came out with their 1911!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts