1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
18,481 Posts
In a way, this all makes it easier. If the msm approves them, they're obviously anti-American, moral degenerates and I won't vote for 'em. One has to remember that the only reason media folks are in that business in the first place, is that they are neither intelligent enough or competent enough to get a job flippin' burgers at McDonald's.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Google has pretty much made it clear that they intend to steer the the public left. They have managed (we have allowed) to addict us. It will be a factor.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
691 Posts
There are maybe three journalists in the country I trust and I do my best to verify their reporting often enough. The sad fact is there are no media outlets that can be trusted with anything even remotely connected to politics. They are all pushing an agenda and many are willing to outright lie. A story based upon nothing but anonymous sources and confirmed by other anonymous sources isn't worth the toilet paper it's printed on.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I make up my mind independent of the news media. You cannot believe anything you see or hear. The poles are also a joke.
I am so tired of pollsters calling that these day I either do not answer the unknown callers or I outright lie to them. In a sincere tone.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
I think the Atlantic hit piece on Trump's comments of the military put the bias front and center for people. Google, Twitter, Book of Faces and YT have all declared they will use their platforms for political purposes. They positioned themselves to make the majority of Americans addicted to their products, gave them a chance to monetize their content then cut them off at the knees. If people can't see that they are publishers and not platforms, then they're way too stupid to be helped.

Reactions: kozmo2k4

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I make up my mind independent of the news media. You cannot believe anything you see or hear. The poles are also a joke.
I have found even the MSN weather report is even biased.....

Reactions: kozmo2k4

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's hard to believe anything now. And it's so easy to manipulate people. If you have a huge following, you can say any bullshit and a majority of the audience would probably believe you.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
This succinctly says what I have been thinking for quite a while. There really is no place you can go today to get the unbiased news. Everyone has an agenda and they are trying to bend you to their side. Good luck making an informed decision come election day.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/515256-atlantic-article-on-donald-trump-leaves-us-with-sad-tale-over-trust
In 2016 I (and many others) didn't make the decision based on Fox news, MSNBC, etc, Facebook, Twitter, etc. There was plenty of the candidates own comments, on the campaign trail and the debates, to see what each candidate stood for and what they wanted to do if they got in there. Granted, a person running for office might say one thing and do something else once they get in, but if a candidate says they are going to do something you are opposed to (like banning guns for example) while the other candidate says they are not going to do that, the safer bet is the one who says they are not going to ban guns. Even if the pro gun candidate turns out to have lied, you're no worse off than you had been if you had voted for the one that says they definitely will do it. There will other issues for people besides guns of course, I just used that as an example. For some people I know, it was issues like jobs, government regulations on small businesses, immigration, who will be nominated for judges, etc. Each candidate, just like today in 2020, expressed different ways of governing.

It's very likely no one candidate will govern on every issue the way you want them to, so the best thing is ask yourself what are your core issues? What is it you want a president to do or not to do and also how do you want them to do it. Both candidates are going to say platitudes like job creation, reducing gun violence, health care, defeating covid, but how are they allegedly planning on doing it? The how can sometimes be worse than the problem that you're trying to solve. Don't let the news media tell you how to think, think for yourself.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
This succinctly says what I have been thinking for quite a while. There really is no place you can go today to get the unbiased news. Everyone has an agenda and they are trying to bend you to their side. Good luck making an informed decision come election day.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/515256-atlantic-article-on-donald-trump-leaves-us-with-sad-tale-over-trust
Journalism school apparently doesn't teach the history of journalism anymore.

The concept of an "unbiased press" is fairly recent...and didn't really last long.

Prior to WWII, there was no such thing as an unbiased press, and everyone knew it. If you go back to newspapers in the 1930s or earlier, the bias was horrendous...it wasn't even polite. People knew that, and a man was not considered knowledgeable of current affairs unless he was reading three or four newspapers a day. Having several newspaper subscriptions was par for the course.

The attitude of Western journalists changed as they observed the use of news media in political propaganda in the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany. By the end of WWII, leading journalists like Edward Murrow (who many consider the father of the unbiased press) championed the concept that the press should not present a political opinion, just report the facts as objectively as possible.

That concept did not, however, live long past Murrow himself. One problem is that all governments do churn out their own self-aggrandizing propaganda, so the most objective reporting is going to be at odds with government sources more than half the time. That became clear with regard to reporting about Vietnam, for instance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts