Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was back checking my game camera this morning with my iron sighted stainless 10/22. I saw a squirrel, came out and sat on a limb dead to rights and I could NOT get my front sight in focus. I'm getting too old for irons on my hunting rifles. Well, I killed my deer last year with an iron sighted SKS at about 30 yards, but that squirrel was back in the shade and I couldn't focus, couldn't take an easy shot! DAMN, I hate my eyes getting old!

I can still shoot pretty well with handguns, but a squirrel with a .22 rifle is a small target. I installed a apare 1.5x4.5 scope I had laying around on the gun. I got the mount when I bought the gun, but wanted to keep it iron sighted. I can no longer do that, though. It's just too tough to see that front sight. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Get a decent little laser sight for your .22, you can still use the irons for nastalgia and still take down those evil bushy tailed tree rats.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Well Native...getting old is a B----! At least you can still pull the trigger! :)

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have the same problem at times so I installed a Red Dot on my 10-22. Love it!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Heh, welcome to old age. ;) How about a rear peep sight? Keeps the spirit of irons and avoids the scope, at least for a while.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I just picked up a little diopter that sticks on my glasses, and that really clears up the irons. Not really feasible for hunting - unless you want to keep walking into trees - but it has me wondering if a rear peep sight would do the same thing. It's got something to do with looking through a small circle, and it somehow makes your vision much clearer. I'm not sure HOW it works, but I'm sure it works. It stands to reason that a rear peep would do the same thing. JAT

·
Registered
24,858 Posts
You are now a qualified bonafied gassifed senior citizen.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I just picked up a little diopter that sticks on my glasses, and that really clears up the irons. Not really feasible for hunting - unless you want to keep walking into trees - but it has me wondering if a rear peep sight would do the same thing. It's got something to do with looking through a small circle, and it somehow makes your vision much clearer. I'm not sure HOW it works, but I'm sure it works. It stands to reason that a rear peep would do the same thing. JAT
It works because f-stop. Warning: Here comes the science. Er, sort of. In the days before point-n-shoot digital cameras all but the cheapest film cameras had adjustable apertures (lens openings). One could adjust exposure with either shutter speed or aperture (f-stop). Wide apertures let in a lot of light, so in daylight shutter speed had to be set faster than at night. Conversely, a slow shutter speed (letting in light for a longer period) in daylight required closing down the aperture.

Now that that's out of the way, adjusting the aperture has another element, in that it determines depth-of-field. Depth-of-field refers to the distance, near to far, that remains in focus in the photograph and in the viewfinder if the camera is an SLR. The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth-of-field. The effect is readily apparent in photos where the subject is in focus but the background isn't. In this case, the wide aperture renders the image away from the subject as out of focus. Finally we get to the shooting aperture in the form of a peep sight or the stick-on-glasses thing. The small aperture increases depth-of-field so the front sight and target are in focus, while the aperture is fuzzy. Your eye can accommodate the fuzzy aperture and your brain will try to automatically center the front sight in the fuzzy hole. The smaller the aperture, the more it, the front sight, and the target stay in focus.

·
10,379 Posts
Well, like my dad says: "Growing old is hell but it beats the alternative!"

I'm 36 and have bad eyes, I can commiserate. Used to not be able to use a scope due to being one eyed, now every rifle I shoot has a scope on it...adapt and overcome

·
Super Moderator
35,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mounted the 1.5x4.5x22 Bushnell and sighted in. This little 10/22 has never been target accurate, didn't really buy it for that, but it'll put CCI stinger into 1.5" at 50 yards. I decided to play with the variety of ammo I have in .22LR. I shot some old Remington Thunderbolt SWC profile stuff, some CCI AR Tactical, and some RWS R50. Now, the cheap stuff both shot 2" at 50, not that great, but the RWS, now that stuff lived up to its cost....9.50 for 50 rounds 20 years ago. It's match grade stuff. All holes touching at 25 and just a little under 1" at 50, better than this rifle has ever performed. My old Remington bolt gun shoots about 1/2" at 50 with this stuff, but it's a more accurate rifle.

I'm going to have to find another box of RWS R50 to keep around for hunting. I have 24 rounds left after today's session. I know where a 50 round box of Eley match is for $19.95. That stuff has done well in some of my rifles in the past, too. None of the ******** around here will pay that much for a box of .22LR, but hey, for hunting it's not that much considering the performance. And, hell, ain't nothing else available right now, but I'll plink with cheaper stuff, needless to say.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I've got the same problem. But I fixed it for $1.00.

Yellow fingernail polish from the dollar store.

Used to my sights would disappear in the shadows. Even when I was standing in the bright area.
I've painted both my pistols, front and back. My .22 Rem 597 has a scope already.

If you take your time it will look like the sights came that way. Just tell them you ordered them special.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Mounted the 1.5x4.5x22 Bushnell and sighted in. This little 10/22 has never been target accurate, didn't really buy it for that, but it'll put CCI stinger into 1.5" at 50 yards. I decided to play with the variety of ammo I have in .22LR. I shot some old Remington Thunderbolt SWC profile stuff, some CCI AR Tactical, and some RWS R50. Now, the cheap stuff both shot 2" at 50, not that great, but the RWS, now that stuff lived up to its cost....9.50 for 50 rounds 20 years ago. It's match grade stuff. All holes touching at 25 and just a little under 1" at 50, better than this rifle has ever performed. My old Remington bolt gun shoots about 1/2" at 50 with this stuff, but it's a more accurate rifle.

I'm going to have to find another box of RWS R50 to keep around for hunting. I have 24 rounds left after today's session. I know where a 50 round box of Eley match is for $19.95. That stuff has done well in some of my rifles in the past, too. None of the ******** around here will pay that much for a box of .22LR, but hey, for hunting it's not that much considering the performance. And, hell, ain't nothing else available right now, but I'll plink with cheaper stuff, needless to say.
I've gotten the best results with Wolf Match Target - even better than the Wolf Match Extra from my Savage Mark II. It will shoot sub moa at 50 yards. Not quite half moa, but pretty doggone close. It's funny to shoot though - 9 times out of 10 I can see the bullet drop onto the target. Definitely slow, 'arcy' stuff, but it sure hits in the same spot every time. I plan to buy a bunch more - if I can ever find it again. Good stuff, and it was running around $60 a brick before the recent insanity.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I guess when we're young we take perfect vision for granted. I could never understand the function of a peep sight or any type of diopter until my eyes got to the point where my shooting was suffering. Hunting with irons is such a satisfying feeling especially in foul weather when all your buddies are dealing with wet scope issues. I've pulled off some incredible shots with irons and its a constant struggle to regain that ability. Getting old sucks!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I've been considering giving the Superfocus glasses a try to see if they actually work. Hate the TV ads things but have gotten 1 thing that actually worked well years ago.

·
Super Moderator
35,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like ghost ring aperture sights, have one on my Rossi 92.

I've gotten the best results with Wolf Match Target - even better than the Wolf Match Extra from my Savage Mark II. It will shoot sub moa at 50 yards. Not quite half moa, but pretty doggone close. It's funny to shoot though - 9 times out of 10 I can see the bullet drop onto the target. Definitely slow, 'arcy' stuff, but it sure hits in the same spot every time. I plan to buy a bunch more - if I can ever find it again. Good stuff, and it was running around $60 a brick before the recent insanity.
Doubt that stuff would work the action on the Ruger if it's that light. Semi autos need a little pop. For hunting, shooting flat is good to 50 yards, also.

I have a Remmy 597 magnum and the old 512X bolt gun, but I really like the handiness of the little Ruger. It's accurate enough. One thing that diesn't hep my eyes is that tiny little bead front sight. I think scoping it with a low power scope is my best idea and, heck, I had it all laying around, scope and rings.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well, like my dad says: "Growing old is hell but it beats the alternative!"

I'm 36 and have bad eyes, I can commiserate. Used to not be able to use a scope due to being one eyed, now every rifle I shoot has a scope on it...adapt and overcome
You and I are probably the only members with the single vision problem, so I "see" what you're going through. Single vision presents a whole host of problems that other shooters don't have to contend with - like total lack of depth perception, focus, and alignment. I lost mine 37 years ago, and in bright light conditions I can still do better with open sights, but in low light situations, I have to use the scope. The secret is lots of practice, then some more. For those shooters without the problem, wear those safety glasses, and maybe you won't have to join our club.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I've been considering giving the Superfocus glasses a try to see if they actually work. Hate the TV ads things but have gotten 1 thing that actually worked well years ago.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts