Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
They should fix it, don't be nostalgic about something so destructive.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Yup, it's the fault of that darn bridge! All those drivers that ignored the low bridge signs are completely innocent.

That bridge is just as guilty as all those guns we need to ban!

Don

·
Super Moderator
36,002 Posts
Lower the roadway.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It's the fault of the idiots who designed the bridge.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
All that cost to only raise it 6"? Would have been much cheaper to put one of those bars with sensors hanging down so that if you hit the sensors the alarms go off, because if you hit the sensors you would hit the bridge. Much cheaper than raising a bridge and I bet there will still be people who will run into the 6" taller bridge.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lower the roadway.
There are a bunch of utilities under the street. Lowering the roadway would require an inordinate amount of money and time to move all of those deeper.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
Self driving trucks can be programmed to avoid such hazards.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All that cost to only raise it 6"? Would have been much cheaper to put one of those bars with sensors hanging down so that if you hit the sensors the alarms go off, because if you hit the sensors you would hit the bridge. Much cheaper than raising a bridge and I bet there will still be people who will run into the 6" taller bridge.
Eight inches. They already tried posting warnings and alarms but idiots would still peel off tops. Raising it further would have meant significant work and expense to raise the railroad grade on both sides of the bridge. After years of trying to find an inexpensive solution they finally decided this was the best option. I expect 11foot8 will morph into 12foot4 on youtube and ignoramuses will continue to entertain us with taller trucks.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Fear not! The only thing an extra 8 inches will do, is allow a few more RV drivers to slip underneath without damage. CDL van-type semis and box trucks with genius-level drivers will continue to provide us with hours of entertainment. So grab some popcorn and the beverage of your choice, get comfortable, and watch those can opener reruns until construction is completed.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I was at a stop sign once when a guy hit the bridge that I was getting ready to go over. Boom. Sparks. The idiot was stuck until they let the air out of his tires.

·
Super Moderator
17,695 Posts
Yeah, uh, my fifth-wheel is 13' 6" so expect continued impacts. I went under a 13' 9" once....reeeealllll sloooooww......my wife behind said I cleared by just about 3 inches.

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
After they pave that road a couple times, the clearance will be right back down where it was.
I always find it "interesting" when they pave up to, but not under, a low bridge. Apparently they think that only tires directly under a bridge support something above them, but fail to realize that the tires may be resting on the higher pavement just a few feet away from the bridge, while the top of the truck scrapes the bridge. Good ol' brilliance!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts