Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I scored a much sought after unicorn. Egyptian contract SAFN-49. The rifle is in excellent condition, and may be unissued. I'll know more when I have it in my hands. It's coming from Colorado, so it should not take too long to arrive. The pictures show an undamaged stock, and probably a 95+% metal finish. Clean and shiny chamber and bolt area....This will be another rifle I will be using in Mil-Spec competition. A few pics from the auction listing:

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
7.92x57, right?

Preceded the Hakim and Rasheed?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were delivered by FN between 1949 and 1952. 37,600 rifles. 8mm Mauser.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I had a Belgian military one in 30-06. An FN collector paid dearly for it. :D

Surprising, the design was sitting there when the Germans took FN, and ignored it. They are great rifles. Not a bad score.

Maloy

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got 'er home today. The guys at the LGS had never seen one before. Very clean, inside and out. Did a complete tear down/inspection. minimal to no wear on all parts. Everything with a number on it matches. 4 digit serial number starting with 2, so it's early in the 37,617 production run. Gas piston was clean, perhaps new...ANYWAY:

Got it all back together, nothing left over!

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
​It would go well with my Hakim. :D

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Got 'er home today. The guys at the LGS had never seen one before. Very clean, inside and out. Did a complete tear down/inspection. minimal to no wear on all parts. Everything with a number on it matches. 4 digit serial number starting with 2, so it's early in the 37,617 production run. Gas piston was clean, perhaps new...ANYWAY:

Got it all back together, nothing left over!
Uber cool! Better stock up on 8mm Mauser ammo.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a pretty good stock pile. I have a K98K, also. I really like the PPU 198 gr. FMJ. I also have some surplus from the '30's up to the 50's...some of it even goes off!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a chance to put 25 rounds down range, today. Good start! Trigger needs a little tlc, and I haven't adjusted the sights or the gas system, yet...just as it was delivered. Started with body shots, then switched to head shots after she settled down.

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
I have a pretty good stock pile. I have a K98K, also. I really like the PPU 198 gr. FMJ. I also have some surplus from the '30's up to the 50's...some of it even goes off!
LOL! A buddy and I, back in the 70s, bought these surplus M88 commission rifles. They'd been converted from 7.92x57JS (.318" round nose bullet) to the 7.92x57S (the K98's round) for the volksturm at the end of the war when the Wehrmacht was running out of firearms. They were kicking mules. :D My K98 is much easier to shoot and more accurate. So, there was a special on surplus ammo with the rifles, surplus German ammo from Israeli arsenals, been stored since the war which was about 30 years at the time. It was maypop, about 1 round out of five dudded out. We spent much of it on the tank on his parent's farm shooting turtles. I fired up about 50 rounds at turtles and my shoulder was SORE the next day. It was dove season and I was using my old SxS 12 on doves. That hurt on an already sore shoulder....:eek:

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Had a chance to put 25 rounds down range, today. Good start! Trigger needs a little tlc, and I haven't adjusted the sights or the gas system, yet...just as it was delivered. Started with body shots, then switched to head shots after she settled down.
Wow! To get a Military Surplus, that shoots that well, is pretty lucky. Great shooting! ;)

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
Wow! To get a Military Surplus, that shoots that well, is pretty lucky. Great shooting! ;)
My K98 Mauser (Yugo) and Hakim shoot lights out and dead to POA. Kinda depends on the rifle, I guess. My SKSs are not tack drivers, but they're hog hunting accurate to 100 yards easily. The only milsurp I've been less than impressed with was that old 88 commission rifle and it shoots WAY high, but pretty accurate. I never mess with garbage like old Carcanos and such. :lol:

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
There's lots of milsurps I wish I'd picked up just for collection purposes. The Rashid is one, was shy of 200 bucks when I bought the Hakim for $80. I was just a sucker for cheap. :rofl: That's how I ended up with 2 Norinco SKSs, but they both have a place in my little collection, especially the 20" rifle. It actually gets used on pigs. I've done a few things to it, scope, green laser light, stock, etc. By the time I added a Choate sporter camo stock, screwed on receiver mount scope mount, brass deflector, ambidextrous safety and such, the rifle went from a 75 dollar bargain to 200 bucks plus 100 dollar Bushnell scope. For a while I sorta kicked myself for spending that much on an old Chinese milsurp, but now that Norinco SKSs are running over $300, the investment don't seem so bad and besides, it has turned into a favored hog rifle. My REAL hunting rifles, even the Savage 110, cost me more and that SKS has been racking up a pretty good head count on tasty pork when I feel up to it. :D

Reactions: jwc007 and Troll

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm really starting to like this rifle. I messed with the bedding a bit. When you tightened up the action screws, it would put a bind on the trigger group. Did a basic "trigger job" on it, and today, I went to the range to adjust the gas system. I figure it was still set up for Egyptian service ammo from 70 years ago...When I was done with getting the gas valve where I wanted it, I walked down range to see the target...SURPRISE! That's 10 rounds..I could only find nine....I didn't see the one in the black diamond, at first! I do believe it will be used in the Spring mil spec match!

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
My K98 Mauser (Yugo) and Hakim shoot lights out and dead to POA. Kinda depends on the rifle, I guess. My SKSs are not tack drivers, but they're hog hunting accurate to 100 yards easily. The only milsurp I've been less than impressed with was that old 88 commission rifle and it shoots WAY high, but pretty accurate. I never mess with garbage like old Carcanos and such. :lol:
I recently gifted to our daughter, a type 99 Arisaka, complete with Mum and all matching serial numbers. It is a late 1941 manufacture, and an excellent looking gun with a bright bore, good stock, and intact bluing....not to mention 6 boxes of Norma 7.7 x 58mm ammo for it. Yeah, she shoots and was very happy to get it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts