Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 24/7 Pro .45 is having intermittent magazine problems. When empty, the magazines will not always lock the slide open. This seems to happen about 80% of the time. I have 3 mags; one 12 rd., and 2 10 rd.. This happens more often with the 10 round mags than with the 12. I also still have an occasional FTF (failure to feed) where it appears that the top bullet in the magazine gets stuck between the magazine and the bottom of the barrel feed ramp. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
How new is it? I've had occasional problems like that but only during break in or when dirty. So far as the FTF, was that with FMJ or JHP?? Sometimes the 'flat' nose of a hollow point can get hung on the feed ramp. I usually look at the mags first. I would suggest numbering them and make a note which # had the problem, then look at the top lips for a bend or damage. Hope that helps. BTW, I thought I was the only one to name my guns. LOL. I found a stainless 1911 and Ruger SR9C, both with 666 in the serial numbers, so I call them 'The Evil Twins'. The 1911 is prefix NEM3, so I call that one Nemesis, and my new 24/7-G2 is NER0. Yes, I talk to them, but they don't talk back. LMAO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My serial number puts it made in 2009, and it's barely through 200 rounds of break-in. I've been shooting Winchester White box 230 gr. FMJ's for break-in. I can't shoot often due to no range nearby (but that just changed last week, hurray!). Accordingly, each mag has only had about 8 fills shot out of it, although they've all been carried filled since the day I got them, two years ago.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think it's a mag problem. I'm thinking the springs are still OK.
Other than cleaning there is the option to fool with the lips, a very delicate operation.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I've had that happen maybe twice in about 1000 rounds.
First time it happened I thought it was a misfire and pulled the trigger again, nothing.
Tried again, still nothing.
Pulled the slide back and chamber is empty.
Second time it happened I just pulled the slide and of course nothing there.
Just one of those things, I guess.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the problem with aftermarket mags for my 1911 AR .38 Super. I found that by bending the follower slightly, the problem went away, but I sure had to play with things to get the angle right. The stock mags work fine. I also found that if I put the slide stop from my Colt Commander in the PT 1911 all mags worked, if I put the slide stop from my Colt 1911, they did not - go figure that one out. Now I have mags that are only for the PT 1911 and I keep the gun clean as I've found dirt will affect the slide staying open.

·
Administrator
35,158 Posts
Make sure the mag lips on the 10 rounders are similar to the 12 round mag. Also see if there is any kind of issue with the follower, if it's dented or just looks different than the one that works better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have put about 500 rounds through my 24/7 OSS DS .45. I had the slide lock failure about ten times across about 40 12-round magazines. I notice that I had it once, and I believe it was near the end, in my first 250-round session. Today I had it the other ten or eleven times. That sort of lines up with being dirty, as someone mentioned. I will check the magazine lips, too, as someone else suggested. Thanks for posting on this topic. If I find out anything interesting I will post back. It will be a while before I do another big session, but I find that the problem occurs just as well on short loads, so I can put in 3 rounds and still reproduce the problem. I'll try to get a few tests in before long and post back my results.

No other failure to report, except one and only one instance , during first 250-round session, of the slide not return to full forward position. Stopped about 3/4" from full forward. I tapped it forward and continued normally.

Apart from those, nothing, and I do really like the 24/7's grip, balance, behavior in shooting, and even the look. It strikes me as a handsome weapon. Not even sure exactly what I mean, but I saw it on the shelf and it just spoke to me, before I knew anything about it. Did some research, declared it good, and went back and bought it. Assuming that I figure out this failure to lock, I suppose this the gun for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Followup: 24/7 OSS failure to lock slide seems to be magazine related, purely

My 24/7 OSS DS fails to lock the slide in rear position when magazine is empty. I discovered this at the range (reported above).

Today, at home, when I tested the locking with my two magazines empty, just manually pulling the slide back, I found that the slide consistently locked automatically with one mag, and not with the other.

In the attached photo, the mag on the left is the one that works. The other one fails. I have not cleaned them or the handgun since shooting yesterday, so I believe that the only variable in play is the magazine itself.

Both mags carry the same legend in the same place on the side (not shown in photo: PT24/7CAL.45ACP - MADE IN BRAZIL). One came with the gun, bought used, and one came from a local gunshop. Are they both genuine, but just different? I will see if I can chase this up with Taurus.

Hope this sheds light for someone else.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Taurus confirms mag problem, replaces defective mag

Taurus confirms that there are no after-market mags for 24/7 OSS DS, so must be original. Shipping replacment without further discussion. Confirmed that failure to lock is almost always an indication of a magazine problem. Hence immediate replacement. Certainly a quick and pleasant exchange, unlike what I expected based on numerous complaints I have seen around the web concerning Taurus service. Certainly worked for me today.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was having those same issues with my 24/7 OSS DS 45. I sent it back to Taurus (thank God for the lifetime warranty) and they said it ws a faulty feed ramp, and replaced it for free. I haven't had a problem since

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The mags and the followers appear different. The one on the right, the follower is lower than the metal lip in the front, this can cause failure to feed and it looks like the curved piece of the follower is missing. The curved piece probably lines up with the hold open lever in the gun.

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
well the 24/ 7 has been with us for some time, it started out life as simply a 24/7, then a 24/7 Pro, then a 24/7 Pro D/S, and as the gun has gone through improvements so have the magazines!
I think there is 3 different versions of the 24/7 magazine all an improvement on the prior design.
Likey the Op had an older magazine with the gun and when he bought he new extra amgazine it was the new improved model.
I am fairly certian there is a sticky on this subject with pictures for comparison.
NOTE: the 24/7 OSS D/S takes the same magazines as the regular 24/7 series and the only 24/7 magazine that will NOT work in the 24/7 OSS is the compact magazine designed for the 24/7 C Pro or C Pro D/S.
hope this helps some.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts