Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I agree, it's like carrying a unloaded pistol....

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Although I carry with one in the chamber and a few more in the magazine Mr. Pincus really doesn't explain why carrying empty is bad. Rather he asserts and makes pronouncements that not carrying hot is stupid. A good, if not the best, reason for carrying hot is the possibility that you get caught in condition white and your weak hand or arm is injured and you can not rack the weapon in a timely manner.

People who practice the technique of drawing and racking are probably less than a half-second slower, if that and I do not really know if they are slower, than those who carry one in the chamber. Most shooting scenarios involve much more time than a half-second preparation for a lethal encounter.

The cultural bias of asserting our training methods as superior to other techniques is worrisome. Empirical testing and comparison would be the way to resolve some of the arguments for and against both techniques. Ingrained cultural biases can get you killed...it leads to rejecting out of hand alternative ways of viewing and doing things.

I doubt, that anyone here would say that the fellow in this video is at any disadvantage in drawing and firing - he certainly isn't carrying unloaded! Watch carefully, in the first part of the video he shoots with one hand- which is likely how most of us would shoot in a self-defense close up in your face situation. In the second part of the demonstration he uses the two handed hold.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Having not been "formally trained" in empty chamber carry by Israeli Mossad forces, I'll always keep it hot-n-ready....like Little Caesars ;)

In a perfect scenario, it may only be .5 to 1.0 second slower getting your pistol into action, but there are many unforeseen variables that may not allow you to even get that round chambered and ready to fire....if that happens, game over.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Since the average length of an armed engagement is three seconds, do you really want to spend the first 1/6th to 1/3rd of the engagement racking your slide? Not me!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I find it funny that there is a seemingly endless debate on whether or not folks carrying autoloaders should carry with one in the chamber, yet no one questions whether or not double-action revolvers should be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer... :confused:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Great thread.

I enjoyed watching the OP's video offering. (Good food for thought.)

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
124 Posts
What if your "weak" hand is busy or incapacitated? Hard to rack the slide with one hand.
There are various techniques to practice racking or reloading single handed...not impossible (I practice it occasionally but I also carry condition 1).

This is one, and to me is the most practical...you can also use the lip of your holster if its kydex or your spare mag to rack. Practice practice practice, stay safe.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Seems like a good technique to know in case of emergencies. But I don't think it is a good idea to use your sights as a hook on a consistent basis (certainly don't train that as your standard option), you might just draw, chamber, and find that you ripped your sight off on your belt. They make charging handles for pistols that guys in some race-gun competitions use. Seems like that would be a safer bet. I still prefer to carry hot.

Amazon.com: Mako Glock Charging Handle: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are other methods which can work well with practice, but I train in reactive shooting...if you have a fraction of a second to react you may not have time to train your weapon, aim, and shoot. So ripping a sight off a tool isn't a concern to me as long as it still shoots. At the end of the day we don't safe queen a carry gun, and a carry gun will get worn/scuffed/scratched/dirty/possibly broken.

Also I generally don't worry about a sight being ripped off for the main reason if my gun is that poorly made than maybe its the wrong gun to stake my life on.

·
Registered
938 Posts
There are various techniques to practice racking or reloading single handed...not impossible (I practice it occasionally but I also carry condition 1).

Condition 3 - Draw and rack with one hand - YouTube

This is one, and to me is the most practical...you can also use the lip of your holster if its kydex or your spare mag to rack. Practice practice practice, stay safe.
I am sure there are ways of racking the slide with one hand, good video there. I don't wear a belt like that and I am sure the belt I have will not support racking that slide back. I am sure there are other ways to rack the slide one handed, but I still carry chambered and hot.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
In all honesty, I carried with an empty chamber for the first month or so of starting to carry. I wanted to get comfortable with carrying and convince myself that I would not accidentally make a mistake with a loaded chamber. Hey, that was me - not saying that is the way for everyone. After I got comfortable, I now carry "locked and loaded" with safety on. My next level of comfort would be carrying something like a GLOCK - a double action with no external safety devices other than whats between da ole ears!

Kinda on topic, all my single action pistols are stored in the safe with a round chambered and the safety on (they all have safeties and not sure if there is a single action pistol - not revolver - without a safety device). My no safety device pistols are stored with empty chambers - I only have two - a DA GLOCK and a DA/SA FNS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts