Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the Plano Bullet Trap today and took my Glock 21 SF with a tactical light. Fired three shots, forth shot the tactical light came off and went about 3-4 feet in front of me. Several people around my lane were not shooting and heard the "clunk" as the light hit the concrete. Since I could not directly access the light without calling management, I used the "brass sweeper" while on all fours. Finally worked it close enough to grab.

Not the first time I shot the 21 with the light, and I thought it was very tight when I installed it. Lessen learned, always check before and after shooting.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,874 Posts
Well, I guess if you've got a Glock, you will eventually want to shoot it. :blush:

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Many years ago, I had a Century Arms (converted) British #5 Jungle Carbine, which was really a #4 that Century Arms cut down, contoured the wood stock, replaced the sights, put on a rubber butt pad, and installed the #5 flash hider. I bought it NIB at the big Baltimore gun show.

Thoroughly cleaned and lubed, I took it to a large, commercial outdoor range in Maryland. Firing the first .303 round (surplus ball from the old Interarmco), the flash hider blew off, going down range to points unknown. There was no opportunity to look for it in the tall grass. Others on nearby firing points said that they could see it going downrange, at least 20 yards.

I sold that conversion for a loss at the next Greenbelt Armory gunshow.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,874 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Reactions: john_bud

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Polymer frames are more flexible than those of steel and alloy. Glock had to change several things when lights first became a craze, as they addition of the light caused some reliability issues. Because of the flex inherent in the polymer, it's difficult to maintain constant clamping forces. After a while, without using locking compound on the attachment screws, they WILL loosen.

It's not just Glock, either. It pays to check the locking screws on any gun that has a light, or a laser mounted in front of the trigger guard, periodically. Just like prudent shooters check grip screws, and sight screws.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Stuff like that happens to the best of us Mark, and I have no doubt that you are indeed one of the best. ;)

Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Mark, I want to add the Glock to the list of shooters when I get to Plano.

If I hit the target, we'll tell mingaa, if I miss, we won't tell him. :D:D j/k

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I will never have a light on a gun. Flashlights are hard to come by in my house, thought we have bought many. We end up using all sorts of things as flashlights from watches to cell phones. If put a light on a gun at some point my wife would end up shooting the plumbing under the house. LOL

·
Super Moderator
13,811 Posts
The first step is admitting that you have a [Glock] problem. From their, it gets a lot easier. Especially with a strong support group like the one here at TA.:D
Strong support group??? I look out over the gathering crowd and see them holding axes and pitchforks, and hear someone yelling, "Get a rope!"

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
I hate when that happens.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Reactions: john_bud

·
Super Moderator
17,624 Posts
Not as embarrassing as getting a phone call from the rangemaster asking if I own the nickel plated S&W Model 49 they found on the shooting line. Which they already knew I owned because handguns were registered in that state, and the range was run by the police department. When I went to pick it up I got endless jokes about any other guns I'd like to donate to the department.....

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Not as embarrassing as getting a phone call from the rangemaster asking if I own the nickel plated S&W Model 49 they found on the shooting line. Which they already knew I owned because handguns were registered in that state, and the range was run by the police department. When I went to pick it up I got endless jokes about any other guns I'd like to donate to the department.....

I'm not sure I would ever admit doing that. :guns:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts