Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Added a few more guns to table and color coded on a few variables to highlight differences and similarities among the guns. Came across Sccy's new gun. Based on the dimensions and the youtube videos I saw it looks like it's definitely worth a look.

The Sccy is light weight, holds 10+1 rounds, is one inch wide and has a low/small profile. Until I did this chart the Sccy was not on my radar. Now I want to take a look.

The Boberg firearm looks like a class act but it is expensive. Based on the other considerations I think a lot of folks would have a hard time rationalizing about buying this gun.

If you study the chart you will see some interesting patterns. I am doing another chart on selected 380's which I will post in a day or two.

comparison eeleven 9mm.jpg

* MSRP
** Sports Academy
ICR = Initial Cost per Round determined by dividing the Price by the Capacity

I changed the "Value" category to ICR. The labeling of value apparently had too many subtle underlying dimensions that side tracked the evaluation of using a system like this to get a start on selecting or de-selecting choices to consider.

The more expensive guns, based on the ICR, are highlighted in yellow, the least expensive guns
are highlighted in gray and the guns that fall between the extremes are in white backgrounds.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just bought a SCCY CPX-2 waiting to pick it up but from reading about the companies mission statement and their reviews it sounds like a great little 9mm.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just bought a SCCY CPX-2 waiting to pick it up but from reading about the companies mission statement and their reviews it sounds like a great little 9mm.
I agree. Let us know what you think after you had time to play with it. I know that their first effort was not too successful but the reviews I've seen on their new guns make me think you've got a winner. I hope so.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
My carry gun is missing Ruger sr9c. Randy

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
My Kel Tec P11 that I've carried since 1996 is one ounce lighter than the SCCY clone and don't have a safety it doesn't need. 12 round flush fit mags can also be had for it, though mine are all 10 rounders as I bought it when Bill Clinton was still chasing interns around toe oval orifice.

This chart also leaves out the Kel Tec PF9, the LIGHTEST, and FLATTEST 9mm on the market. Hard to fathom they'd leave off the gun that started it all, the pocket 9 thing.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Added a few more guns to table and color coded on a few variables to highlight differences and similarities among the guns. Came across Sccy's new gun. Based on the dimensions and the youtube videos I saw it looks like it's definitely worth a look.

The Sccy is light weight, holds 10+1 rounds, is one inch wide and has a low/small profile. Until I did this chart the Sccy was not on my radar. Now I want to take a look.

The Boberg firearm looks like a class act but it is expensive. Based on the other considerations I think a lot of folks would have a hard time rationalizing about buying this gun.

If you study the chart you will see some interesting patterns. I am doing another chart on selected 380's which I will post in a day or two.

View attachment 56560

* MSRP
** Sports Academy
ICR = Initial Cost per Round determined by dividing the Price by the Capacity

I changed the "Value" category to ICR. The labeling of value apparently had too many subtle underlying dimensions that side tracked the evaluation of using a system like this to get a start on selecting or de-selecting choices to consider.

The more expensive guns, based on the ICR, are highlighted in yellow, the least expensive guns
are highlighted in gray and the guns that fall between the extremes are in white backgrounds.
Get a doc to analyze things - and it'll get done right.

I've man-handled this list before, or something like it - and I came up with the Kahr. I bought it. Shot it. And it came up a winner.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Not familiar with Boberg firsthand. I hear they're good quality, but quality isn't the only reason some guns are more expensive and others are less expensive. Economies of scale are as much a factor, if not more. The high prices of some guns are mind boggling.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My Kel Tec P11 that I've carried since 1996 is one ounce lighter than the SCCY clone and don't have a safety it doesn't need. 12 round flush fit mags can also be had for it, though mine are all 10 rounders as I bought it when Bill Clinton was still chasing interns around toe oval orifice.

This chart also leaves out the Kel Tec PF9, the LIGHTEST, and FLATTEST 9mm on the market. Hard to fathom they'd leave off the gun that started it all, the pocket 9 thing.
You are right. I will add the P11 or PF9 soon. The reason I overlooked the P11 was personal. I too bought the gun when it first came out. I had so many problems with the gun...failures to feed, eject, etc I sent it back several times to Kel Tec. Eventually got rid of it. The design of the gun was way ahead of its time. I loved the size but it was so unreliable that I lost all confidence in the manufacturer. Maybe it time for me to re-examine Kel Tec. Design was great it was the execution that I had a problem with.

Vaskeet, the list is not meant to be exhaustive that's why I titled it "Selective." The SR9C like the other Ruger guns are pretty well known. The SR9C is dimensionally similar to the sub compact Glocks (of which I own and find too bulky and heavy for pocket carry except in winter clothing, but that's just my experience). I think in the back of my mind I was putting this list together with an emphasis on smaller guns for pocket carry and using the larger guns as points of departure for comparison.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
An all inclusive list would be several pages long, and obsolete within a couple of months, as new guns are added, older guns discontinued, or even existing guns upgraded. Thanks for the work.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not familiar with Boberg firsthand. I hear they're good quality, but quality isn't the only reason some guns are more expensive and others are less expensive. Economies of scale are as much a factor, if not more. The high prices of some guns are mind boggling.
Boberg has a nice site, http://www.bobergarms.com and I really like the fact that they will sell you/upgrade you with an extended barrel...IIRC a 4.2 inch. I wish more manufacturers would offer such a service. Arne Boberg, from what I've read about him, is a man on a mission.

You are right about economies of scale. I hope he makes it and sells enough to get the price down. He may be running into very stiff competition, as you can see, other gun manufacturers are already claiming the low and middle end (price wise) for small sized 9MM.

Reactions: Rossi

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
You might want to look at the SARK2P 9mm

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might want to look at the SARK2P 9mm
Thanks for the tip. It looks like a nice sized standard gun. A little too large - 30 oz and 7.3 inches length - for what I tried to convey in this listing but certainly worthy of checking out for someone interested in a larger gun. Priced right too...I saw it advertised for $350!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'm having trouble seeing the chart - maybe on a big screen I will have better luck.

When thinking about 9s - something I've been known to do - I often refer to the "Best 9s" website where top semis under $650 MSRP are listed and reviewed. The list used to cut off at 25 but apparently there are SO many good 9s on the market that they are currently at 33 guns.

Definately worth a look : The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer 40 S&W <<<

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Also, they omitted the Rohrbaugh. Wow, no Kel Tec, no Rohrbaugh.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Same chart with Kel-Tec added. As an added unintended addition as part of the screen shot are some of the menu's from Libre Office 4 a free office package that mimics Microsoft Office.

Twelve 9MM.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Well, okay, PF9 anyway. :D I prefer the P11, but most folks go for the PF9. It's lighter, slimmer, and has a shorter, lighter trigger. I prefer the trigger of the P11 for carry and the extra capacity and it's only 2 ounces heavier and only 1" wide with same length and width.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm having trouble seeing the chart - maybe on a big screen I will have better luck.

When thinking about 9s - something I've been known to do - I often refer to the "Best 9s" website where top semis under $650 MSRP are listed and reviewed. The list used to cut off at 25 but apparently there are SO many good 9s on the market that they are currently at 33 guns.

Definately worth a look : The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer 40 S&W <<<
This is a good and valuable site but they don't provide in a readily usable format a basis of comparison of the characteristics of a firearm that I'm interested in. Their listing is more valuable as a basis of looking up guns but lacks a useful comparison. A searchable database system would be ideal (for my interests, anyway).

Minga I'm using Chrome and I need to click on the image to see the chart.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
This is a good and valuable site but they don't provide in a readily usable format a basis of comparison of the characteristics of a firearm that I'm interested in. Their listing is more valuable as a basis of looking up guns but lacks a useful comparison. A searchable database system would be ideal (for my interests, anyway).

Minga I'm using Chrome and I need to click on the image to see the chart.
Yeah - still on my phone but both enlarge now. Thought #1 was embedded but must have been my mistake.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have always been a fan of the Bersa as a carry gun and one of my favorites which I would be carrying if not for the PT111 Pro I carry is the BP9CC:
BP Concealed Carry

This is Bersa's first all polymer I think. As far as the SCCY, the second gen pistol differs from the 1st gen which had a safety. The safety had lots of failures and gave the pistol a lot of bad press. They came out with a kit that fixed the problem but then also offered the second gen pistol which lacks the safety as well and most owners seem to like it better anyway as it sells like hotcakes. They offer a great warranty on their product and the pistol is made out in the old National Guard air base in Mansfield Ohio near where I grew up during part of my school years.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Didn't know SCCY dropped the safety....good move as it's a DAO and don't need one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts