Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading a book on.22 rimfire and the author talked about parallax in scopes but went on to talk about how you could use parallax as a
crude rangefinder.

This has probably been hit on before here.

Point at your object with your arm extended and line it up with your fingertip and view the scene with one eye.
Then close that eye and open the other. The object (target) will appear to move in relation to your fingertip.
Take the amount the object appears to move (there's some estimation involved here) and multiply x 10 and "voila",
an estimate of your distance. I haven't tried this outside yet, but I tried it inside and it seems to work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm reading a book on.22 rimfire and the author talked about parallax in scopes but went on to talk about how you could use parallax as a
crude rangefinder.

This has probably been hit on before here.

Point at your object with your arm extended and line it up with your fingertip and view the scene with one eye.
Then close that eye and open the other. The object (target) will appear to move in relation to your fingertip.
Take the amount the object appears to move (there's some estimation involved here) and multiply x 10 and "voila",
an estimate of your distance. I haven't tried this outside yet, but I tried it inside and it seems to work.
Are you supposed to judge in yard? Meters? Inches? What works and what doesn't?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts