Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to forum. Quickly I have a broke ejector on pt1911 45 and was wondering if this was easy enough to replace myself bcuz turnaround time is too long. Also is this common

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Ejectors do occasionally break, but it is not all too common. I've never done a 1911 ejector myself, so I can't speak
from practical experience, but here's a you tube vid:

·
Super Moderator
37,235 Posts
Welcome aboard from another PT 1911 afcionado! I have about 8,000 rounds through mine and your post is a good reminder that I really need to address the spare replacement extractor issue. I intend to buy a Wilson Bulletproof extractor and put it in myself. From the videos I've see, it should be that hard of an install. You could call Taurus and see what they say about replacing your broken one.

Good luck with yours.

Regarding the question of whether it's common or not, from what I've read some will go 10,000 rounds and more, others just up and die without warning at lower numbers. I also know that their demise can be quickly hastened by dropping in a round through the ejector port and sending the slide home over the top of it. This is due to the design of the pistol which is meant to strip the round off the top of the magazine, letting the extractor receive the rim as it slides up underneath. To load through the ejector port forces the extractor over the edge of the rim in a strictly lateral motion.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
In any 1911, it will happen at one point could be 5,000 rounds or less could be 50,000 or more. There is no way of knowing. The video RichO posted is good. I've done it and I have had smiths do it. I will caution if its not a Taurus extractor, you might have an issue with the series 80 stuff not being held in. I would order one from, Taurus, the turn time for that should be shorter than sending the whole 1911 in. On the other hand some here have had good experiences with other extractors.

As a side note, many 1911 "drop in" parts require some fitting. (a small file here or there). Thats just my two cents, I am not a smith.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard from another PT 1911 afcionado! I have about 8,000 rounds through mine and your post is a good reminder that I really need to address the spare replacement extractor issue. I intend to buy a Wilson Bulletproof extractor and put it in myself. From the videos I've see, it should be that hard of an install. You could call Taurus and see what they say about replacing your broken one.

Good luck with yours.

Regarding the question of whether it's common or not, from what I've read some will go 10,000 rounds and more, others just up and die without warning at lower numbers. I also know that their demise can be quickly hastened by dropping in a round through the ejector port and sending the slide home over the top of it. This is due to the design of the pistol which is meant to strip the round off the top of the magazine, letting the extractor receive the rim as it slides up underneath. To load through the ejector port forces the extractor over the edge of the rim in a strictly lateral motion.
Thanks for the info but its the ejector not the extractor. If you could give info on ejector. Front leg broken inside of lower.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Thanks for the info but its the ejector not the extractor. If you could give info on ejector. Front leg broken inside of lower.
Are you talking about the ejector pin, part 4.9 or the ejector, 4.14, in the PT-1911 parts list in the manual?

I have not replaced either one of those, if thats the case. But we have some members who I suspect have and can answer your question.

Edit: here is the manual incase you don't have one. http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/manual_PT1911.pdf

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
The ejector 4.14... the front leg is broken inside frame
In that case, I can't answer the first question. But to my knowledge it isn't normal for it to break under normal conditions.

·
Super Moderator
37,235 Posts
Wow...sorry about that, my reading and comprehension skills must have been on vacation. I have never read of an ejector breaking to this point.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Wow...sorry about that, my reading and comprehension skills must have been on vacation. I have never read of an ejector breaking to this point.
Yep! I had an ejector to break on a fairly new ATI Commander and had to replace it.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Hey guys new to forum. Quickly I have a broke ejector on pt1911 45 and was wondering if this was easy enough to replace myself bcuz turnaround time is too long. Also is this common
First welcome to the forum! as you now know how to replace the EXTRACTOR should it ever break let me give ya a bit of info on replacing the EJECTOR!-LOL
First its not very common to break and ejector!
but it does happen and no one knows why or when they will break usually.
the ejector is held in place by a pin that goes through the slide rails, the ejector is fitted tightly to the frame, then the ejector is drilled with a pilot/lock hole, the pin is driven in and locks the ejector in place.
the probelm that you got is that you say the front leg is broken off>
so you got to get that out before you can fit the new ejector in place.
typically if I had a drill press with very good quality drills bits and a jig i might take a shot at doing it.
but if i didn't then I would take it to a gunsmith , or return it to taurus for repair.
depending on how long that you have had the gun the return to taurus could run 50-75 bucks, a gunsmith is likley in the 50-60 buck range including the part to fix it.
hope this helps you some.
I ahd the same probelm about 5-6 months ago and the smith charged me 60 bucks, price could be different in your area.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
In the YouTube vid I posted, the replacement ejector he put in came with the pin cutout already made. I have no idea if Taurus
ejectors come this way or not, but if they do, it could make the job a bit easier. As for getting out the broken leg, if it isn't pressed
in too tight, you may be able to remove the retaining pin, and use a probe of some type (through the pin hole) to push it up enough
to be able to grip it. If it's loose, it may even just fall out.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I am pretty sure the ejector comes both ways, everybody that i talked to at the time mine broke suggested that I use the regular ejector, that way its a tighter /better fit to the frame than the pre drilled ones?
I am just going on what i was told.
If It were me, i would remove the cross pin and see if I could get the leg out, if not then personally i would either take it to a gunsmith or return it to Taurus.
I simply do not like to drill on a frame without the proper tools.
IF I did take it to a gunsmith then i would have him replace it with a forged ejector and not reuse the MIM ejector, not that i have anything particularally against a MIM part except the ejector takes a beating everytime the gun is shot and i would prefer a hardened metal.
FYI, my gunsmith could not get the leg out of the frame, so he actually took a drop of oil, placed in in the hole under the leg, and took compressed air and backed it out far enough to get a hold of it.
Now i did not see him do this but thats what he told me.
I left the gun and came back a few days later to pick it up.
hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine just broke on my last range trip. I was going to replace mine but after shopping around, alot of them you see don't even have a leg. So I removed it and filed it to match one on midway usa site. Cycling by hand it still works good. I'm guessing it just won't throw the brass as far.

jag

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Mine just broke on my last range trip. I was going to replace mine but after shopping around, alot of them you see don't even have a leg. So I removed it and filed it to match one on midway usa site. Cycling by hand it still works good. I'm guessing it just won't throw the brass as far.
jag
No leg??
Ok now i am by far not an ejector expert to say the least but I don't think that i have ever seen a 1911 ejector that didn't have a leg?
how do you attach it to the frame?
Now i understand that there are some guns that the ejector is actually glued on with a space age epoxy but i haven't ever seen one to my knowledge.
then again maybe I have and didn't know what i was looking at.
There was this guy in New Orleans that was wearing a pink ballerina dress complete with pink shoes and Tiara that i wasn't sure what i was looking at, but---ah never mind I am wandering now!
Just asking and trying to learn.
thanks

·
Registered
36,780 Posts

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
got any explaination of the guy in New Orleans?? He should definitely be evaluated before being sold a firearm!
He didn't have a gun only a Fairy Wand complete with silver star on the top of it!--OH well, just one of those mysteries of life I guess!
thanks for the help anyway!
and welcome to the forum if I haven't already done that!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
by chance got any explaination of the guy in New Orleans??-LOL
What happens in NOLA, stays in NOLA.... or should that be "Lola... L-O-L-A Lo-oh-La.... Lo-Lo-Lo-Lo Lolaaaa..." (apologies to The Kinks) :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts