Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little confused and would like some tips. My hubby only speaks male so maybe someone on here who has more experiance with female shooters or the ladies themselves can help.

As posted in intro, I have a Taurus PT92, and when we went to shoot it the only gripe I had was the slinging of the brass into the forehead and down the shirt. Is it just because the springs are new and need time to wear down some (about how many rounds for that to happen) or possibly my form (shooting just under shoulder height)?

Obviously a tighter necked shirt would probably help, and the ladies on women and guns mentioned a baseball cap helping some, but obviously in a home defense type situation, I am not going to have the luxuery of taking time to dress accordingly and would rather not be distracted by hot brass in the underthings....

Would replacing the spring help any??? Any other suggestions maybe? When my husband put a full Mag through it he had a couple of casings land in his shirt pocket, but wasn't getting slapped by them in the face.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
92's seem to eject somewhat wildly.. most mine eject to the right but some times i do get one go straight up.. but it's not uncommon but i would'nt say every other round either..

unless someone else has a tip it's just the nature of the beast.

every gun is a little different even if it's the same model, so this might just be this guns personality..

i've heard of people with cougars or other guns that eject straight back at them.

·
Administrator
35,170 Posts
I guess you could always hold the gun gansta style, sideways so the brass ejects straight down.....please don't really do this, I'm just kidding....welcome aboard !!

·
Administrator
35,170 Posts
by the way.....I went with my son to the range 2 weeks ago and was of course wearing range glasses, and they had slid just a bit down my nose, not much at all.....and one of the ejected cases from my 24/7 pro 45 cal hit the plastic partition wall next to me and came right back at my face, and lodged itself right between my glasses frame and my upper eyebrow. OUCH !!!! :mad: I've still got the mark from that hot brass, but darned if I can think of anything I could have done differently.......but it could have been much worse. Wear your range glasses and ear plugs !!! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I guess this is just something I will get used to in time. Perhaps I should just invest in a full SWAT face shield or something, since it was hitting in the forehead the glasses didnt help any at all, lol. I was considering shooting from closer to elbow height, but I think it would feel ackward. In time and more handling Im sure it will get better.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My 92 would eject brass in different directions. MOST of the time it went well out to the right. But every now and then (maybe 5% of the time) it would eject one straight up. Those would hit me on the head or face or chest. I just assumed it was to be expected.

The 24/7 I have now seems to be ejecting all of the brass way out to the right only. But I am still under 200 rounds through it so far.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
When practicing at the range you could probably walk in suited up like a Stormtrooper from Star Wars if the flying brass is affecting you that much.

At home, in a self-defense situation, you're not even going to notice where the casings are going.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
When practicing at the range you could probably walk in suited up like a Stormtrooper from Star Wars if the flying brass is affecting you that much.

At home, in a self-defense situation, you're not even going to notice where the casings are going.
If it goes down the neck of her top, I'd bet she notices. ;) Just sayin'

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
had was the slinging of the brass into the forehead and down the shirt.
let me get that for you...:p jk but someone had to say it... :-X

I don't have a pt92 but I have a 92FS and have to say the ejection has been VERY consistant from the begining that I would feel safe shooting the gun w/o eye protection...Parhaps it needs to brake it; in that case it might improve aftre a few hundred rounds, but it may not. Generaly it's an extractor issue. If it doesn't go away might want to try a ligher recoil spring (although it's not the best choise since it wil increase the wear on the gun). I've had guns that with erratic ejection; one of them was Steyr M9 - I have to say it was crazy. but hey I learned to dodge the brass (litteraly) ;) must've looked very interestig because other people at the range would look at me when I shot that gun.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you're shooting in an indoor range, just move a little to the left or right in your lane and that will change the angle that the brass bounces off walls, ceilings and other partitions.

I just learned that again last week. (Burn over my right eyebrow)

·
Administrator
39,501 Posts
I have a Ruger in .45 that did this with light reloads when I was working them up. After I settled on the loading I wanted, the ejection was the same as factory loads, way out to the right. Are you shooting reloads by any chance? :zzz:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, no reloads so far (although after dropping another $80 on ammo last night, letting the hubby buy the reloading equipment is sounding better and better :D ). I was shooting some of the Monarch 9mm Luger FMJ. And I must say I agree that if I am in a defense situation, the hot brass would not be the top concern, but it would sure hurt like a dickens latter, as well as possibly distract me or cause me to not act as quickly as needed :-\.

We go to an outdoor range with different areas for skeet, tactial, handguns, and rifles so nothing on the handgun range to bounce off of, although I will remember that tip if we ever do go to the indoor range here, but hubby likes to take a variety and they don't allow all of his guns in the indoor range.

A guy on the Women and Guns board suggested it was either due to limp wristing or me not locking my arms? I have always been taught not to lock the arms, to just go with the motion. Also if I was limp wristing (a possibility since I am still new at this) would my groupings be fairly close together? That was the only consistant aside from getting brass in irritating places was the groupings.....

·
Administrator
39,501 Posts
Since your husband had casings land in his pocket, I doubt that it is limp wristing. But limp wristing can cause other problems like, failure to feed and failure to eject and stovepiping. Lock that wrist. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I have heard several women experts say, to add the Baseball hat to your wardrobe for shooting. Combined with the glasses you should at least bounce the emptys away from the body.

I do know by the way, that there really are full face shields, that are worn like a hat, but still the body is not protected. Buttoned up collars, and long sleeves will provide some protection. I am a relative rookie myself, I have even had them bounce off the underside of the ball cap.

Good luck on getting your broke in, and maybe it will get less vigorous with the ejector.

·
Administrator
35,170 Posts
Tell your husband I hope you LET him buy a reloader...... :wave:

·
32,497 Posts
Some tips on brass and related stuff.

At the range wearing a baseball style cap or visor is recommended. Deflects incoming brass. Yours or someone else's brass coming from the stalls nearby.

Different brands of ammo may change where the brass ejects to.

Gun cleaning or adjustment of the ejector spring or the ejector may be needed.

Many guns throw brass straight up and back. Not most, just some. Models of pistols can be of the same manufacture and behave or have characterstics that are unique to that particular specimen.

The NRA and local shooting ranges have classes with accredited instructors that mentor one on one ,some women only, who do this in a relaxed atmosphere and speak gun lingo that all can understand. Helps learn good shooting habits and improves the person's ability.

www.corneredcat.com and www.womenandguns are two good sources for women and male shooters to get good info about all aspects of shooting.

There are some who think they can teach a person to shoot well and are no good at it. Then there are those who have the patience,fortitude, and ability to dessiminate info to anybody( includes us slow learners) with ease.

Husbands and boyfriends quite often need to know their limitations and maybe step back and let others do the instructing of the female contingent.

Had to do that with the wife and daughter. Have taught others to shoot but had to let go and let others do the teaching. Had to let the ego go.

Both are know fine shooters and very active in the sport.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Another thought were you shooting blaser ammo or other alluminum cased ammo? alluminum is softer than brass and the extractor may not a get a good grip on the rim/grouve.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
My PT92 ejects hot brass onto my head very rarely, perhaps 1 -2 times out of every 500 shots taken. I really have nothing to add to the advice given thus far other than to agree with getting a ballcap and some shooters glasses as a precaution.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
LOL, we have one of those here on the farm, for use with chainsaw, and big gas trimmers. Never thought about it for shooting, as the screen front is not polycarbonate!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts