Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a vast re-thinking is in order:

Gehry

Apologies to those who foam at the mouth when I post a link to National Review Online.

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
I am in complete agreement that the proposed design of the Eisenhower monument does little to tell the merits of
"Ike."

I wish I still had a "I like Ike" button!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
What happened to just statues? Look at the Jefferson memorial. Jefferson had a thing for classic architecture so they built a classical style building to house a statue.

But even with that monument there was controversy, first it would knock down the cherry trees (so they worked around them). Others said the design would compete with Lincolns memorial.

But the proposed Ike memorial is nothing more than modern art garbage and not a stately memorial in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
I know we already honored him with the "Eisenhower Interstate Highway system" There are signs depicting this (along with 5 stars in the circle design as befitting a General of the Army status) about every 3-5 miles along every interstate in Georgia and, I presume, the other states. I wouldn't have a problem with a "General's statue"

I know a few years ago the students at the University of Washington (state) protested the establishment of a statue of WWII hero Gregory "Pappy" Boyington - who was famous for leading the Black Sheep squadron. He had gone to school there and enrolled in the ROTC program and later became a much decorated marine. The students felt that such a statue would somehow honor someone who projected violence. The current generation seems to have no idea where their freedoms came from and seem even more stubborn to recognizing what the great leaders of our past went through to ensure that they could even enroll in the Univ of Washington . . .???? Even on the west coast I guess they just don't realize how close they came to having Japanese as their native language. Wonder how illegal immigrants would have dealt with having to sneak into territory under control of the Japs . . .

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I am in complete agreement that the proposed design of the Eisenhower monument does little to tell the merits of
"Ike."

I wish I still had a "I like Ike" button!
I wish we had a 5-Star General like Ike running for president this go around!

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
I know we already honored him with the "Eisenhower Interstate Highway system" There are signs depicting this (along with 5 stars in the circle design as befitting a General of the Army status) about every 3-5 miles along every interstate in Georgia and, I presume, the other states. I wouldn't have a problem with a "General's statue"

I know a few years ago the students at the University of Washington (state) protested the establishment of a statue of WWII hero Gregory "Pappy" Boyington - who was famous for leading the Black Sheep squadron. He had gone to school there and enrolled in the ROTC program and later became a much decorated marine. The students felt that such a statue would somehow honor someone who projected violence. The current generation seems to have no idea where their freedoms came from and seem even more stubborn to recognizing what the great leaders of our past went through to ensure that they could even enroll in the Univ of Washington . . .???? Even on the west coast I guess they just don't realize how close they came to having Japanese as their native language. Wonder how illegal immigrants would have dealt with having to sneak into territory under control of the Japs . . .
Had Nagumo launched the second strike on Pearl Harbor, and then refueled his fleet and searched for the U.S. aircraft carriers and sunk them (he had six carriers in his fleet at that time) we well could have been speaking Japanese. Amazing how one bad mistake ruined the plans of Imperial Japan, just like one mistake ruined the plans of the Reich! Two front wars don't usually work out.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Had Nagumo launched the second strike on Pearl Harbor, and then refueled his fleet and searched for the U.S. aircraft carriers and sunk them (he had six carriers in his fleet at that time) we well could have been speaking Japanese. Amazing how one bad mistake ruined the plans of Imperial Japan, just like one mistake ruined the plans of the Reich! Two front wars don't usually work out.
I recall there being concerns that there would be an armed American behind every blade of grass awaiting an invading army. If only he knew that if they had just put off the Japanese assault for another 60 years or so that the US executive branch of government would be working their butts off to disarm those blades of grass . . . .

Yes, it is amazing how many decisive battles have been decided by just one action which turned out to be a tactiful disadvantage. Such as Nagumo ordering the change out of the ordnances (bombs for bullets, I think) in the battle of Midway . . .

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts